Thread: Ported to red pocket cdma but never got service working

Feedback Score

Ported to red pocket cdma but never got service working

Hey guys, I was using airvoice which is a att mvno. then I ported to red pocket verizon but never could get the service working. I have ported back to airvoice, but I'm wondering what I did wrong if anything.

when I would make a call on red pocket, I would get this message "welcome to verizon wireless, please hold while your call is transferred to an external operator" and the automated person wanted a credit card to complete the call or something. I also couldn't send/receive txts, or get data. red pocket support didn't have much they could do. they said to turn off volte. but I never found a setting for it. they also wanted me to activate the sim using a verizon branded phone. my phone is a moto g7, they are sold unlocked.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That means you’re in a roaming area with Verizon and there’s no need of coverage where you’re located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Did you receive a CDMA-V(red) sim card from red pocket? Since you were on Airvoice(AT&T gsm) you'd have to replace the card with redpocket one. Alternatively, you probably could have activated Red pocket AT&T service instead.

Although the Motorola G7 should be compatible with all carriers, Easiest way to debug this would be if you had another known working Verizon phone to test with.

My guess is that they had an issue activating service on your phone but I can't guess why. Usually they ask for the imei of the phone, Iccid of the sim card, do some magic behind the scenes and after a reboot, should be working.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post
    That means you’re in a roaming area with Verizon and there’s no need of coverage where you’re located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the service didn't work anywhere in town. and I kept loosing signal. theres suppose to be verizon coverage here. since its verizon, it should be hard to find an area without coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Did you receive a CDMA-V(red) sim card from red pocket? Since you were on Airvoice(AT&T gsm) you'd have to replace the card with redpocket one. Alternatively, you probably could have activated Red pocket AT&T service instead.

Although the Motorola G7 should be compatible with all carriers, Easiest way to debug this would be if you had another known working Verizon phone to test with.

My guess is that they had an issue activating service on your phone but I can't guess why. Usually they ask for the imei of the phone, Iccid of the sim card, do some magic behind the scenes and after a reboot, should be working.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    yes I put the red pocket sim in. i may try ordering a att sim from red pocket in a month. we double checked my imei and iccid was correct.

i read some posts on here that verizon prepaid and mvno's dont work on non verizon branded phones.

Feedback Score
    Did your phone pass the RP or any VZW MVNO IMEI check? Sounds like it didn't.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Gabe333... Question...

>>they also wanted me to activate the sim using a verizon branded phone. my phone is a moto g7, they are sold unlocked.<<

Red Pocket wanted you to activate using a VZ branded phone? I thought they had to be unlocked to use RP.

And you said the G7 is sold unlocked. I've seen unlocked ones online, but do you mean Verizon sells them unlocked--? Or just that they're sold unlocked?

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked G7 Play, but maybe just an unlocked Moto e6.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The Motorola G7 should have all the bands necessary to be used on any carrier.

But is it locked to certain service like on a contract? Where did you purchase it from? You said it was previously running and is currently back on Airvoice. They are a gsm service running on AT&T. Of course, GSM service is easier to get running universally from what I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe333 View Post
    the service didn't work anywhere in town. and I kept loosing signal. theres suppose to be verizon coverage here. since its verizon, it should be hard to find an area without coverage.

yes I put the red pocket sim in. i may try ordering a att sim from red pocket in a month. we double checked my imei and iccid was correct.

i read some posts on here that verizon prepaid and mvno's dont work on non verizon branded phones.
    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I had the exact same problem when transferring my factory unlocked Moto E4 Plus from Red Pocket GSMA to Red Pocket CDMA. It was fixed via chat. I'm thinking it was because VoLTE wasn't activated on the account.

Another thought . . . .is your Moto G7 a US model? (International models do not support Verizon)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Did your phone pass the RP or any VZW MVNO IMEI check? Sounds like it didn't.
    it passes this: https://www.verizon.com/od/prepaid/b...ice/#/checkSim

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Gabe333... Question...

>>they also wanted me to activate the sim using a verizon branded phone. my phone is a moto g7, they are sold unlocked.<<

Red Pocket wanted you to activate using a VZ branded phone? I thought they had to be unlocked to use RP.

And you said the G7 is sold unlocked. I've seen unlocked ones online, but do you mean Verizon sells them unlocked--? Or just that they're sold unlocked?

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked G7 Play, but maybe just an unlocked Moto e6.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app
    I dont know if the device has to be unlocked to use RP. but red pocket wanted me to put the sim in a verizon branded phone to activate the sim, they said once it was activated, it should work in my phone. looking at the verizon website they do not sell the moto g7, they sell the g7 play and g7 power.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    The Motorola G7 should have all the bands necessary to be used on any carrier.

But is it locked to certain service like on a contract? Where did you purchase it from? You said it was previously running and is currently back on Airvoice. They are a gsm service running on AT&T. Of course, GSM service is easier to get running universally from what I understand.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    the G7 is only sold unlocked in the US. I purchased it from google fi. it came with a sim which I activated and used for a few hours, then I put my airvoice sim in. doing a google search, Google Fi uses networks operated by Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I had the exact same problem when transferring my factory unlocked Moto E4 Plus from Red Pocket GSMA to Red Pocket CDMA. It was fixed via chat. I'm thinking it was because VoLTE wasn't activated on the account.

Another thought . . . .is your Moto G7 a US model? (International models do not support Verizon)
    my moto g7 is the us model. its XT1962-1

I used the red pocket support chat probably 5 times to try and get it working.