Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon shutting down Band 13?

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon shutting down Band 13?

(This is a hasty question, so if this has been discussed somewhere else already, please point out to me where.)

I'm in a rural area of Alabama, and Band 13 LTE has been the main band I connect to Verizon towers through an MVNO.
    Last year I did the switch to VoLTE, and it seemed to work OK.

In the last few weeks Band 13 seems to no longer show up (in Network Cell Info), and I see Band 2 instead, but with a weaker signal.
    And the call reliability has dropped.

A quick web search only found some recent posts on the "Verizon Wireless Services General" forum of others in rural areas having a deterioration of their call reliability, too.

If we don't have CDMA, and now Band 13 LTE, what sense does that make.

Does anyone know what Verizon may be up to?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Edge, LG V10, Iphone 6S plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    I have not saw any sites in Alabama without band 13 nor any sites that have had band 13 removed. I am visiting my parents in rural west Alabama and Verizon has added numerous new sites here. All have band 13 LTE deployed on them.

Sent from my SM-N976V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Band 13 is the foundation of lte. There's no reason to remove it lmao

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Not too many Verizon towers lack B13, but they may not use it much. They started using mostly B4/66 around here a couple of years ago and there is a drop in signal strength. B2, B4/66 are higher frequency and carry more traffic, but don't have the range or penetration of the lower frequency bands like 13 and 5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rd10221 View Post
    (This is a hasty question, so if this has been discussed somewhere else already, please point out to me where.) I'm in a rural area of Alabama, and Band 13 LTE has been the main band I connect to Verizon towers through an MVNO. Last year I did the switch to VoLTE, and it seemed to work OK. In the last few weeks Band 13 seems to no longer show up (in Network Cell Info), and I see Band 2 instead, but with a weaker signal. And the call reliability has dropped. A quick web search only found some recent posts on the "Verizon Wireless Services General" forum of others in rural areas having a deterioration of their call reliability, too. If we don't have CDMA, and now Band 13 LTE, what sense does that make. Does anyone know what Verizon may be up to?
    what phone are you using and what MVNO are you on ??

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    They have not removed band 13; likely a site that did not have band 2 added it. What is supposed to happen is the phone either switches from band 2 to band 13 when the band 2 signal is low enough to be a problem; or, more likely, run 2 channel CA with band 2+band 13. I see band 4 in my area frequently, but (based on speedtests) the phone is actually on 2 channel CA band 4+band 13 most of the time. Hopefully they can tune things up properly in your area!

Feedback Score
    What band 13 is the only nationwide lowband they have. If they wanted to shut down band 13 they would have participate in the 600 MHz auction back a few years go. Also they'd sell it before shutting it down. There are deployment rules and Verizon either has to sue it or lose it or sell it. And Verizon isn't going to give back billions of $$ worth of spectrum to the FCC for nothing.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Update: This morning upon turning my phone on, Band 13 was back, but not as the main cell that Network Cell Info showed, which had Band 2 as the primary. At least Band 13 was among the various cells available.

That means my question is more like a recent thread I saw: "What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66" at:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...c-Band-5-13-66

Feedback Score
    Update: This morning upon turning my phone on, Band 13 was back, but not as the main cell that Network Cell Info showed, which had Band 2 as the primary. At least Band 13 was among the various cells available.

That means my question is more like a recent thread I saw: "What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66" at:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...c-Band-5-13-66
    Verizon probably wants those closest to the tower to use something than band 13 so those out away from the tower have spectrum they can use that isn't totally congested. You're going to get faster speeds on the other bands anyway

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Still a mystery though what is happening. I was watching Network Cell Info showing a mix of Bands 2, 4, and 13, with only 13 having a decent signal, then it went to only showing Band 2. Maybe some work is being done on that tower, and not settled yet?

Edited: And now, a bit later, starting Network Cell Info shows just Band 13.

Edited later: And now back to Band 2 with maybe a usable signal level, with a worse Band 5, but no sign of Band 13.
    Last edited by rd10221; 08-14-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    (This is a hasty question, so if this has been discussed somewhere else already, please point out to me where.)

I'm in a rural area of Alabama, and Band 13 LTE has been the main band I connect to Verizon towers through an MVNO.
    Last year I did the switch to VoLTE, and it seemed to work OK.

In the last few weeks Band 13 seems to no longer show up (in Network Cell Info), and I see Band 2 instead, but with a weaker signal.
    And the call reliability has dropped.

A quick web search only found some recent posts on the "Verizon Wireless Services General" forum of others in rural areas having a deterioration of their call reliability, too.

If we don't have CDMA, and now Band 13 LTE, what sense does that make.

Does anyone know what Verizon may be up to?
    Those apps only show the PCC carrier so B13 might not be that.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    What band 13 is the only nationwide lowband they have. If they wanted to shut down band 13 they would have participate in the 600 MHz auction back a few years go. Also they'd sell it before shutting it down. There are deployment rules and Verizon either has to sue it or lose it or sell it. And Verizon isn't going to give back billions of $$ worth of spectrum to the FCC for nothing.
    Even if vzw would have bought B71 they still would NOT shutdown B13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Even if vzw would have bought B71 they still would NOT shutdown B13

I didn't say the would. I said that would be the only situation in which it could occur. Though selling B13 would have stopped all the idiots and there "but ..but.. upper C band rules so Verizon has to do things no one else has to do. Let's have a 10 year lawsuit because I can't get unlimited data without restrictions." because for some reason band 71 doesn't have the same rules

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    (The Internet for my area went out at 3:30 pm yesterday, and is now working this morning.)

As it turns out, those what I thought were too weak signal level Band 2 and Band 5 readings maybe really are usable, as when my Internet went out due to a storm, the calls I made to Mediacom and my workplace all went OK.

Between the calls I was taking more Network Cell Info screen shots and saving log files, where it seemed Band 5 was being used. Only after the last call did Band 13 show up again.

During the past year, I hadn't been active in my quest to determine all the relevant towers to me (i.e. near work and home) to then join the CellMapper.net project, since the Verizon towers aren't done very well. Network Cell Info was meant as a "training wheels" tool to get familiar with the concepts involved.

So it wasn't until a bad call during the day, working from home, last week, got me wondering how or why there could be a bad call, as service at home had been reliable so far.

When I eventually have time to resume working with the Network Cell Info data files, along with the screen shots and paper notes, then do join CellMapper, I'll be able to see when those new bands were added to my local tower.

Feedback Score
    (The Internet for my area went out at 3:30 pm yesterday, and is now working this morning.)

As it turns out, those what I thought were too weak signal level Band 2 and Band 5 readings maybe really are usable, as when my Internet went out due to a storm, the calls I made to Mediacom and my workplace all went OK.

Between the calls I was taking more Network Cell Info screen shots and saving log files, where it seemed Band 5 was being used. Only after the last call did Band 13 show up again.

During the past year, I hadn't been active in my quest to determine all the relevant towers to me (i.e. near work and home) to then join the CellMapper.net project, since the Verizon towers aren't done very well. Network Cell Info was meant as a "training wheels" tool to get familiar with the concepts involved.

So it wasn't until a bad call during the day, working from home, last week, got me wondering how or why there could be a bad call, as service at home had been reliable so far.

When I eventually have time to resume working with the Network Cell Info data files, along with the screen shots and paper notes, then do join CellMapper, I'll be able to see when those new bands were added to my local tower.
    band 5 is 850 MHz so should be that much difference between them. 850 MHz is also what Verizon typically uses for non LTE calls. Except in places where it doesn't have any. So I would assume Verizon uses either band 5 or band 13 for VoLTE calls. Also calls would have a higher priority than data regardless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast