Thread: Dual Sim Phones and MVNOs

Device(s)
    iPhone SE2, iPhone 6, Blu V5
    Carrier(s)
    Visible (VZN), Tracfone (VZN), TruPhone (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Dual Sim Phones and MVNOs

I知 taking my first nosedive into dual sim phones. I have a BLU V5. I知 usually an iPhone user so the learning curve for specific settings is a little high for me.

In slot 2: I have my TruSim (att). I read somewhere that whichever sim you want to use for primary data should be slot 1.

Last night, I installed FreedomPop (also att) in slot 1, did all the activations and thought I was good to go since data was working.

But then I got greedy. Tru has free incoming texts/calls but not outgoing. So I thought I壇 try those options out with FP. I mean I paid for that service too, and since data was working, everything else should be easy, right?

WRONG.

The FP app 電emands to be the default for messages. But when I did this, the Android messages app didn稚 receive my Truphone texts. After a lot of testing and going back and forth, if I leave Android messages as default, the FP app does still send/receive texts.

Okay two of three features working. Calls seem the most difficult. And I can稚 find anywhere how to make it work.

If I call through the android native dialer, I get a voice saying 渡ot allowed on this line (Which is apparently because native dialling is 菟remium plus and I just have premium, fine I知 not desperate enough to pay more).

But if I call through the FP app, nothing happens. I see a 杜issed call notif, but it doesn稚 go anywhere.

I致e tried everything suggested on the FP website (including uninstalling and reinstalling the app). I致e tried it both with the FP app as default and not. The only thing I haven稚 tried is taking out the TruSim (because worst case, I only use FP data and do my outbound calls via google voice).

If I call my FP number, it goes straight to voicemail. I can change my greeting and it updates. FP states they support dual sim operation. For the life of me, I can稚 figure out why calls don稚 work and everything else does.

I知 open to anyone痴 insight.

iPhone SE2 on Cricket (Primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone/Mint Mobile (Backup)
    iPhone 6 on Tracfone - VZ (Backup)

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    What BLU laughingly refers to as a "User Manual" is of no help.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No. Neither was FP.

I DID solve it on my own (for anyone else who has the problem).

Take out both sims. Put FP Sim in slot 1, start phone. Load FP software, confirm all features are working.

Turn off phone, insert slot 2 sim. Boot phone. Let everything load.

Make sure everything works. (note: it's unlikely inbound text to sim 2 will work, if it does, you're done.)

If inbound texts to slot 2 doesn't work, set Android messages to primary SMS.

Confirm everything is still working.

Whenever FP asks to be default for messages tell it NO.

Now everything is working as I want it to.

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)

BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup) and FreedomPop (for data)

iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop is Data-Only. You don't get any native calling/texting. You do get those feature over VoIP with the application, but this is no better than using any other equivalent application.

I recommend not using the FP application at all and opting for Hangouts / Google Voice instead. This is what I've done for the better part of a decade on FreedomPop plans that only include data service. There is little to no benefit in using their app. If anything, it makes it easier to get charged for extras (unless using a prepaid FP SIM).

Note: I have only used Dual SIM phones as my daily drivers over the past 5 years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Technically you can get native dial and texting, but that's the next package up (along with hotspot). I got this prepaid sim as a pretty good deal on eBay, so it doesn't hurt to give things a try, it's not like they have any way to bill me.

As a general rule, this is my backup phone and I don't have any contacts loaded (nor do I plan to), I have my iPhone for that.

I was mostly just playing with supposed features and seeing if things worked and if not, how to get them to work.

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)

BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup) and FreedomPop (for data)

iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is an old thread, but I will mention anyway that I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

I have two eSIM active, a T-Mobile Magenta Max line and a US Mobile (Verizon MVNO) line.

Works great. :-)