Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid Visa or MC as autopay method?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Prepaid Visa or MC as autopay method?

I saw an old thread in the rants section of the forum about an autopay nightmare, where the person canceled their Red Pocket account but kept getting charged. One monthly charge per DAY and customer service kept saying they fixed it, but not.

It made me want to ask, does anyone use prepaid debit cards that are bought & loaded to sign up for auto pay? How does that work, are they accepted or rejected?

It seems safer, can just put two months worth of payments on the card and no way for them to get access to the bank.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I saw an old thread in the rants section of the forum about an autopay nightmare, where the person canceled their Red Pocket account but kept getting charged. One monthly charge per DAY and customer service kept saying they fixed it, but not.

It made me want to ask, does anyone use prepaid debit cards that are bought & loaded to sign up for auto pay? How does that work, are they accepted or rejected?

It seems safer, can just put two months worth of payments on the card and no way for them to get access to the bank.
    It depends on the service provider. Freedompop will not accept prepaid cards or virtual cards. My AT&T and Straight Talk accounts accepted virtual cards with no problem. I did not try the prepaid card. Virtual cards are the best way to go for online purchases. The virtual card can only be charged for the amount put in it and only by the merchant you assign it to. Prepaid cards frequently fail for recurring payments.

I have not tried it but if a merchant accepts Paypal, you may be able to attach a prepaid card as the payment method to Paypal.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It depends on the service provider. Freedompop will not accept prepaid cards or virtual cards. My AT&T and Straight Talk accounts accepted virtual cards with no problem. I did not try the prepaid card. Virtual cards are the best way to go for online purchases. The virtual card can only be charged for the amount put in it and only by the merchant you assign it to. Prepaid cards frequently fail for recurring payments.

I have not tried it but if a merchant accepts Paypal, you may be able to attach a prepaid card as the payment method to Paypal.
    A second prepaid like NetSpend, Brinks, maybe would be possible. I looked at a few of them online.

The prepaid debits that can be bought at Walmart were more what I had in mind for autopay or an occasional one time purchase, but those charge monthly fees, loading fees, and that is probably a card that would get rejected more often than a prepaid card like Direct Express.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I use virtual credit cards to avoid this type of nightmare, specifically privacy.com. If I want to shut off autopay on any service tied to it, I just close the card.

Feedback Score
    I 2nd PayPal. You can check if any merchant has active access for recurring payments. You can then turn them off. PayPal will then send a confirmation email that no further payments will be made from your PayPal account to this merchant.

Try that with a credit card, no don't most likely they'll want to cancel your card & send you another card with a new number.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions.

PayPal has a debit card, i wonder how well that works? Thought about trying it. I think it has a 4.95/mo fee though.

If more merchants took PayPal it'd be better. The one thing I don't like is that they treated cash transfers from my prepaid debit as cash advance and charged a fee.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Anyone try these Kroger gift cards on autopay? 3.95 for the card & $25 minimum.

https://giftcards.kroger.com/visa-gift-card

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    I re-up my US Mobile number with a Bluebird AmEx prepaid card. They cost $5 at Walmart but that's the only investment in the card itself. There is no monthly fee.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just read this about the Walmart prepaid Visa gift card... (which costs $3, and $3 maintenance fee monthly if i read right)...

The only locations that will not accept the card are online gambling sites, PayPal, money wire transfer services (like Western Union), and adult websites. It cannot be used for recurring bill payment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I re-up my US Mobile number with a Bluebird AmEx prepaid card. They cost $5 at Walmart but that's the only investment in the card itself. There is no monthly fee.
    Thanks, Relztrah. I'll look those up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Bluebird is free if you get it off their website. You only pay $5 if you get the temporary card.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Relztrah. I'll look those up.
    I also recommend the Bluebird prepaid with one caveat. The is that it is American Express and some places won't take AmEx.

As Relztrah said, it is $5 for the starter kit. After that there are no monthly or transaction fees as long as you fund it by direct deposit or with cash at a Walmart.

It also has an interesting feature of sub accounts. You can get additional cards with different numbers and fund and un-fund them for as little as you want from the main card.

I wanted a very low balance card to use for purchases at sketchy places after I got burned twice by fraud at restaurants where the waiter takes your card to run the bill. I did not wind up losing any money in the fraud, but it took months to get things cleared up with affidavits and back and forth.

That said, I have not used the Bluebird for online purchases so I don't know how well it works.

If you can get a real credit card from Citi they have virtual cards. Virtual cards are the best way to go by far for online purchases.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I also recommend the Bluebird prepaid with one caveat. The is that it is American Express and some places won't take AmEx.

As Relztrah said, it is $5 for the starter kit. After that there are no monthly or transaction fees as long as you fund it by direct deposit or with cash at a Walmart.

It also has an interesting feature of sub accounts. You can get additional cards with different numbers and fund and un-fund them for as little as you want from the main card.

I wanted a very low balance card to use for purchases at sketchy places after I got burned twice by fraud at restaurants where the waiter takes your card to run the bill. I did not wind up losing any money in the fraud, but it took months to get things cleared up with affidavits and back and forth.

That said, I have not used the Bluebird for online purchases so I don't know how well it works.

If you can get a real credit card from Citi they have virtual cards. Virtual cards are the best way to go by far for online purchases.
    Thanks for the info. I think it sounds good. The AmExpress not being accepted some places is the only concern, but the free card no fees aspect if signed up for at the website instead of Wally World is the deal.

I really do need a way to pay for items without using my main debit to protect it, and it could be the way.

I just linked my bank account to my personal PayPal account hoping I may be able to transfer funds into my PayPal account from my debit to use the cash balance for certain things, or to transfer cash between debit and bank account. Currently I can't transfer money directly from debit to bank account online, only in person at the bank and that would be great if I could do it through PayPal. I'm sure there'll be fees but if not too much, worth it for the convenience.

I'm going to find a way to do this for the least possible cost in fees. Thanks for the recommends.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to find a way to do this for the least possible cost in fees. Thanks for the recommends.

Privacy.com links directly with your debit card and produces virtual card numbers that can be closed any time. Or you could use Cash App to do instant transfer with no fees from a debit card to the Cash App account. Cash App has no customer support if you have issues, but I use it to accept money transfers from family and friends and don't use it for large transactions. You can get a debit card from them and spend whatever is in the account, or you can transfer it to your bank account with no fees.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Privacy.com links directly with your debit card and produces virtual card numbers that can be closed any time. Or you could use Cash App to do instant transfer with no fees from a debit card to the Cash App account. Cash App has no customer support if you have issues, but I use it to accept money transfers from family and friends and don't use it for large transactions. You can get a debit card from them and spend whatever is in the account, or you can transfer it to your bank account with no fees.
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'm still reading about privacy.com but it sounds like a good way to protect the original card. I haven't looked up Cash App yet. I haven't heard any negs yet on Privacy.

Have you ever used Privacy for autopay on cell service providers?

I do need the service Privacy offers. I may sign up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast