Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T-Mobile and Power Outages

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    You lived in Ontario (I guess it is Ontario,Canada , not Ontario, California, LOL!)
    I came from Ontario,Canada, only had one time lost electricity was "Northeast blackout of 2003".
    Now I am living in Texas, the electricity went off very often. POTs are most unreliable, every time tonado/hurricane, first failure is POTs lines. Mobile phone is the most reliable

Sent from my LEX820 using Tapatalk
    NW Ontario was power fed from the west (~Thunder Bay). Typically outages have occurred due to non typical issues that you would see in the urban areas. Power once went out for a few days due to a bulldozer hitting a local power line in the winter (poor visibility due to fog). Made a mess at the sawmill when items froze. Transformer in the next town over once blew out (not the typical size that spares are around). Trees rarely hit the lines due to clearance. Out there in the boonies, lots of room. Up there, its no fun during the winter w/o power. No gas lines. Many have wood stove (lots of wood to chop ). Up there, they are just starting to get LTE service.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile and Power Outages

In my area, I have seen T-mobile fail after a few hours of power outage. Verizon and AT&T keep working.

Anecdotal data point. During the longest power outage due to. a wind storm I have seen (68 hours), only Verizon kept working throughout the outage. AT&T lasted around 24 hours. T-mobile maybe 6 hours.

I am pretty much always going to keep one Verizon line going as backup. MVNO is fine.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    In my area, I have seen T-mobile fail after a few hours of power outage. Verizon and AT&T keep working.

Anecdotal data point. During the longest power outage due to. a wind storm I have seen (68 hours), only Verizon kept working throughout the outage. AT&T lasted around 24 hours. T-mobile maybe 6 hours.

I am pretty much always going to keep one Verizon line going as backup. MVNO is fine.
    I suspect that in many areas, AT&T is also the local LEC, and some areas they have a much bigger presence than others.
    Verizon pretty much gave up on their LEC presence to be wireless only.
    "IF" I were one of the carriers such as AT&T, in rural areas, I'd actually be promoting a pseduo wireless infra to replace its POTS service, and using FirstNet as a method to build out. This has been done in places like Canada (Bell).
    1. Home wireless internet based on LTE/5G
    2. Push county/district governments to replace POTS service with a wireless based system (note many rural locations don't have cable).
    If there's little need to keep pumping money into rural POTS... 'and' they have all that FirstNet slush money from taxpayers to build ... then its a 'win-win'.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    When a tornado went through here 5 or 10 years ago, that's what I saw too; Verizon Wireless stayed up, they only had macrocells at the time and they all had generators. The local site had just enough of a glitch to drop my call, no service for maybe 1 second, I actually heard a generator down there kick on and my service came back up. Service downtown got pretty bad, because US Cellular and Sprint failed, then roamed off Verizon Wireless, but it worked. Iwireless and AT&T failed immediately with nobody to roam on since they roamed on each other; Sprint had just bought Nextel but not dismantled it yet, Nextel stayed up .

But this time, the macrocells had generators (I assume?), everything else has battery backup or nothing, there's nowhere near enough macrocells to even try to cope with current traffic levels, and I kind of think the macrocells might be drawing more power than they used to (back then they were 850mhz only, now probably 4 bands), they ran out of juice in less than 12 hours. Interestingly, while data speeds dropped near zero, VZW (I think T-Mo does this too) does have text message delivery confirmation, while phones gave fast busies texts went through within seconds (I didn't try a picture but I assume it'd be a no-go).

Feedback Score
    That’s the issue. Generator noise. The carriers would love to have a generator on every tower but they run up against the NIMBY opposition who complain the generator running would bother them and the carrier’s requests often get denied.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    That’s the issue. Generator noise. The carriers would love to have a generator on every tower but they run up against the NIMBY opposition who complain the generator running would bother them and the carrier’s requests often get denied.
    Really? Outside of a power failure, generators run for something like 10-20 minutes a week, always in the middle of the day. These are similar to the generators homeowners install to protect their homes in case of a power failure.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3