Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: T-Mobile and Power Outages

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,258
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I have a few on my keychain. Never have to worry about looking for one and use them frequently when I’m testing T-Mobile and Verizon out and about.
    Probably a good idea to put a spare one in my car then. If popping the SIM card will help connect to 911, I'll do it.

    I've tried to research this topic online and resources seem to be limited as to 911 connectivity between devices either in regards to using 1X or to being compatible with VoLTE.

    Several years ago, I was testing using an unlocked Galaxy S8 to go from a T-Mobile SIM to a Sprint SIM. Upon booting with the Sprint SIM it literally loaded all of the Sprint bloatware, blocked the service menu I could use with T-Mobile and it seemed to block out the T-Mobile bands. So my concern is that even though a device is unlocked and able to be used on all four carriers, is that VoLTE for the other carriers ready to go if needed? It may depend on each device.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,531
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I guess most of you are too young to remember when roads (snow), electricity, gas, and landline phones would all be unuseable from time to time. IF one is really paranoid -rather than put all family phones on one plan/carrier - pay the big buck$ and put them on separate services. Question which goes out first in major storm? I would say landline.
    One of the things that tended to be most reliable was the landline phone. While the wires were vulnerable to damage, the phone was not dependent on outside power. The telephone company supplied the power for the phone system. Reliability was situational. My family lived in town where phones were pretty reliable. My sister moved to the country where the open-wire phone lines would short out whenever it rained.
    Donald Newcomb

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One of the things that tended to be most reliable was the landline phone. While the wires were vulnerable to damage, the phone was not dependent on outside power. The telephone company supplied the power for the phone system. Reliability was situational. My family lived in town where phones were pretty reliable. My sister moved to the country where the open-wire phone lines would short out whenever it rained.
    The most unreliable phone is wired phone...

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,535
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    In the interest of fairness see my Verizon Wireless thread here. In short, in the immediate aftermath (storm went through here around 1PM) Verizon had very slow like dialup speed data (but calls did work.. and oddly if I forced 3G I got close to 1mbps...), but degraded down to being useless by 10 or 11PM as sites ran out of power (no data and nothing but fast busies on calls from later last night until about noon today.) Not 100% sure, I suspect given the size of the ones I've seen that the microcells have either no backup or a small battery backup, and the macrocells probably have generators, but not enough capacity to handle almost all the microcells going down at once.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,022
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    The most unreliable phone is wired phone...

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
    As DRNewcomb said, it's situational. I live in a Denver suburb where, due to the threat of winter snow and ice, our wired services, like electric and phone, are buried. In nearly twenty years in my current home, we've lost power once, and landline phone, never. Not even in storms that dumped over three feet of snow in 36 hours.

    By comparison, however, I was without T-Mo service for an entire week once, when T-Mo and the restaurant their sole cell in my neighborhood sits on had a rent dispute, and the land owner cut T-Mo's power and refused to let techs on site until T-Mo paid him what he felt he was owed.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,131
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Probably a good idea to put a spare one in my car then. If popping the SIM card will help connect to 911, I'll do it.

    I've tried to research this topic online and resources seem to be limited as to 911 connectivity between devices either in regards to using 1X or to being compatible with VoLTE.

    Several years ago, I was testing using an unlocked Galaxy S8 to go from a T-Mobile SIM to a Sprint SIM. Upon booting with the Sprint SIM it literally loaded all of the Sprint bloatware, blocked the service menu I could use with T-Mobile and it seemed to block out the T-Mobile bands. So my concern is that even though a device is unlocked and able to be used on all four carriers, is that VoLTE for the other carriers ready to go if needed? It may depend on each device.
    Something you’d mainly have to worry about with android devices unfortunately. AT&T blocks VoLTE on non white listed IMEI’s. Verizon is pretty picky about which phones they’ll allow as well, especially Chinese ones. T-Mobile is the most open about it all, but that doesn’t matter much if their phones can’t support the other profiles to begin with. For iPhones, I guess in theory they support all VoLTE profiles but a carrier profile is loaded each time you insert a SIM, so I don’t think they’d have every one pre-loaded. Every time I insert a different carrier SIM, the phone loses service (obviously) and the new carrier’s IMS profile is loaded. Not sure how this would work in times of emergency.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    597
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    T-Mobile needs to put generators or large battery backups for their tower equipment.

    Yesterday, a powerful derecho swept through the midwest. I live in its path. My wife has the Fox (T-Mobile MVNO) and I have FirstNet currently. The power was out from 4:30 PM until a little after 2 AM at our residence. My wife lost service during the high winds of the derecho. I maintained full signal with 100Mbps LTE until about 12 AM when my signal went down to 1 Bar and I lost LTE. Either the generator ran out of gas or it was a battery backup. Here is where I have a problem. IF my wife was alone, and say a tree fell on the house and trapped her inside (this actually happened to a local resident, which is why i am using it as an example) she would have had no way to get ahold of emergency services or call me. I dont blame the fox, I blame T-Mobile becuase thats whos tower they use.
    Maybe a tree fell onto their tower... not defending them, but all I’m saying it’s hard to say if it doesn’t have a backup source. Especially for emergency services. I would imagine if she dialed 911 the phone might roam to another carrier.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    T-Mobile needs to put generators or large battery backups for their tower equipment.

    Yesterday, a powerful derecho swept through the midwest. I live in its path. My wife has the Fox (T-Mobile MVNO) and I have FirstNet currently. The power was out from 4:30 PM until a little after 2 AM at our residence. My wife lost service during the high winds of the derecho. I maintained full signal with 100Mbps LTE until about 12 AM when my signal went down to 1 Bar and I lost LTE. Either the generator ran out of gas or it was a battery backup. Here is where I have a problem. IF my wife was alone, and say a tree fell on the house and trapped her inside (this actually happened to a local resident, which is why i am using it as an example) she would have had no way to get ahold of emergency services or call me. I dont blame the fox, I blame T-Mobile becuase thats whos tower they use.
    Sounds like an idiot.
    keeping blaming t-mobile when you are at&t customer lost signal... Talking about Fox which I guess it fake news' Fox

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,871
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    The most unreliable phone is wired phone...

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
    POTS itself as a service 'can' be very reliable, and as long as maintained... it typically has been. As people have effectively dropped POTS service, carriers (esp more rural) are typically required as 'lifeline' (or have been), and have specific MTTR metrics or face fines.
    I had Bell (Canada) way up in the boonies of NW Ontario, and never had outages in decades. Down here in SoCal, I've had more outages in an urban city... mostly due to AT&T changes (adding in a VRAD, AT&T's wire shorting against SoCal Edison's and melting their lines).

    That being said, the weakest link is the line between your demark and the LEC CO.
    With wireless... the weakest link is the local site. Overlap of multiple towers helps mitigate.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    POTS itself as a service 'can' be very reliable, and as long as maintained... it typically has been. As people have effectively dropped POTS service, carriers (esp more rural) are typically required as 'lifeline' (or have been), and have specific MTTR metrics or face fines.
    I had Bell (Canada) way up in the boonies of NW Ontario, and never had outages in decades. Down here in SoCal, I've had more outages in an urban city... mostly due to AT&T changes (adding in a VRAD, AT&T's wire shorting against SoCal Edison's and melting their lines).

    That being said, the weakest link is the line between your demark and the LEC CO.
    With wireless... the weakest link is the local site. Overlap of multiple towers helps mitigate.
    We had many landlines failure than mobile lines.
    Our office building basement flooded few times caused Tonado, all landlines were failed.
    Only mobile connections were survived

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,871
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    We had many landlines failure than mobile lines.
    Our office building basement flooded few times caused Tonado, all landlines were failed.
    Only mobile connections were survived

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    As I mentioned... weakest link. When I lived in the boonies of NW Ontario, I can recall of only once in +20 years that POTS service went down. The wireless service up there was also pretty rugged. Both typically only went down for long extended power outages to the town.
    POTS from your house to CO has many points of failure, while the air interface between you and the tower has the air interface. I haven't used a true POTS line in a long time (too expensive), and most modern equipment is VoIP anyways. Typically much quicker to restore wireless than physical. COW/COLT fills in well.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    980
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I live in a suburb of NYC, and most of our areas power got knocked out for 4 days, starting last Tuesday afternoon. I live about a mile from a tower that has all 4 carriers on it, and after the first day, the generators must have gone down at the tower As all 4 carriers dropped to 1 bar of LTE and data speeds were virtually non-existent. Granted, the tower is on the campus of a community college so they don’t lose power often.

    Of the 4, AT&T At least got close to 1mbos at times, so I could use the hotspot on my iPad for my work laptop, but Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon were totally slammed by the volume of serving multiple sectors and the increased demand since so many were without power. I only called Speint to complain, and they told me the nearest operating tower to me that was working, which is sadly nearly equidistant to the downed tower, indicating that tower doesn’t have a panel pointed my direction.

    It wasn’t just the one site that was down. Driving around, signals were poor on all carriers for miles in each direction. I though after 9/11 and Superstorm Sandy, the cell companies had disaster preparedness measures in place for the vast majority of their sites.

    I was surprised at how bad Verizon was, as in most other outages they have always continued to perform. Fiber was up, as I was able to run my Fios at home periodically off a car battery and an inverter to get an hour or so of Wi-Fi since the cells were so bad. — so it was definitely a lack of power backup at the local site.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,871
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's kind of a typical deployment expected in suburban/urban areas.... Cover 'some' but not all sites with backup generators. E.g.. If my closest cell was down, 3 others can reach.

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    As I mentioned... weakest link. When I lived in the boonies of NW Ontario, I can recall of only once in +20 years that POTS service went down. The wireless service up there was also pretty rugged. Both typically only went down for long extended power outages to the town.
    POTS from your house to CO has many points of failure, while the air interface between you and the tower has the air interface. I haven't used a true POTS line in a long time (too expensive), and most modern equipment is VoIP anyways. Typically much quicker to restore wireless than physical. COW/COLT fills in well.
    You lived in Ontario (I guess it is Ontario,Canada , not Ontario, California, LOL!)
    I came from Ontario,Canada, only had one time lost electricity was "Northeast blackout of 2003".
    Now I am living in Texas, the electricity went off very often. POTs are most unreliable, every time tonado/hurricane, first failure is POTs lines. Mobile phone is the most reliable

    Sent from my LEX820 using Tapatalk

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    255
    Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    No problems in my area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 08:41 PM
  2. Power outage. LTE and EDGE working, HSPA dead.
    By B407 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
  3. Major network and system outage at T-Mobile today!
    By falconuruguay in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
  5. T-Mobile and JD Powers in the same sentence again
    By terryjohnson16 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks