Thread: Is there a Google Play App for checking phone bands?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Is there a Google Play App for checking phone bands?

With all this talk of major changes in service with mergers, 5g coming on, and people wondering about the future of their Mvno's, I started wondering.

Is there a Google Play App that can analyze what bands are inside of a phone?

It would help decide which phone to use on a service that will require the bands.

If no app for that then I suppose it's not that time costly to just look it up online. I just thought it would be more convenient.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    After asking the title question, i decided to look on Google and found this:

Quote)

To launch engineer mode we use a secret code (i.e *#*#83781#*#*) dialled on the stock/default phone dialler and which should work on most Spreadtrum devices. The code may however not work with all devices in which case you can try searching online for your device specific code.Dec 30, 2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    With all this talk of major changes in service with mergers, 5g coming on, and people wondering about the future of their Mvno's, I started wondering.

Is there a Google Play App that can analyze what bands are inside of a phone?

It would help decide which phone to use on a service that will require the bands.

If no app for that then I suppose it's not that time costly to just look it up online. I just thought it would be more convenient.

https://willmyphonework.net/

This has been around for awhile

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    If you're just wanting to know what bands your phone supports that's simply in the phone specs you can find on many sites. I general use Phone Scoop. No need for an app for that.
    If you want to know which of those bands yours phone is currently using (locked onto) there are many apps. I like Network Cell Info Lite.
    Those apps will also show towers, true signal strength, and other stuff I'm clueless on.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Network Signal Guru will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kTest&hl=en_US

It does require root. Also allows blocking of particular bands.

Feedback Score
    With all this talk of major changes in service with mergers, 5g coming on, and people wondering about the future of their Mvno's, I started wondering. Is there a Google Play App that can analyze what bands are inside of a phone? It would help decide which phone to use on a service that will require the bands. If no app for that then I suppose it's not that time costly to just look it up online. I just thought it would be more convenient. Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app
    go to either phonearena.com - https://www.phonearena.com/phones or gsmareana.com - https://www.gsmarena.com/ both offer in depth review of phones and can show what bands they have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    https://willmyphonework.net/

This has been around for awhile
    Yeah, that is a useful tool, but it will only tell if a phone has some compatibility. It doesn't say if the phone is compatible enough for a good experience on a carrier. A phone on Verizon won't be a good experience without band 13.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    After going out & looking for the specs on some of my AT&T phones and one SafeLink phone (unlocked LG Phoenix 2, unlocked Alcatel Ideal 4060A, not yet unlocked LG Neon Plus, ZTE zFiveG Z755BL), I came up with a list of bands they use. There's a T-Mobile version of the Neon that has bands T-Mo uses that aren't enabled on the AT&T version according to one site. But I assume that is true of any T-Mobile phone.

Then, I saw the info in the thread on unlocked phones. I haven't even begun to read that yet but it looks pretty comprehensive. That's the info I needed all gathered in one place.

I copied part of the info from the unlocked phone thread and added a list I made using info from the list of bands my phones use. I don't know if I have it all right. But the purpose is to find out which of my phones might be used on which carriers.

The LTE bands for the four major U.S. carriers are as follows:

AT&T - LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12 (17), 14, 29, 30, 66

Sprint - LTE bands 25, 26, 41

T-Mobile - LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71

Verizon - LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 13, 66

I added....

(COMMON CARRIER BANDS)
    AT&T, VERIZON, T-MOBILE
    2, 4, 5, 12 (not VZ, 13 VZ), 66

ONLY T-MOBILE 71

ONLY SPRINT 25, 26, 41

ONLY AT&T 14, 17, 29, 30

ONLY VERIZON 13

2 Band 2 1900 Americas
    4 Band 5 850 Americas
    5 Band 4 1700/2100 Americas
    12 Band 12 700mhz lower 700 USA
    13 Band 13 750 upper 700 Verizon USA
    14 Band 14 only AT&T public safety USA
    25 Band 25 only T-Mobile USA Sprint
    26 Band 26 only T-Mobile Extended Cellular
    Sprint USA
    29 Band 29 700 USA AT&T lower 700
    41 Band 41 only T-Mobile BRS/EBS Sprint
    USA
    66 Band 66 only T-Mobile AWS-3 Americas
    71 Band 71 only T-Mobile USA

I'm wondering what phone if unlocked or bought unlocked would work on all of the carriers. Something $100 or below. It might not be possible at that price range.

Would Motorola g7 do most of the bands if unlocked from AT&T? Or if bought factory unlocked?

AT&T seems easier to unlock than anything TracFone sells. I've seen an AT&T version of the G7 for $79 at Walmart but it sold out. That if unlocked might not have had the bands enabled that T-Mobile needs for full functionality (I assume).

An out of the box unlocked phone would probably be best is what I'm guessing because the necessary bands should be present.

I'm really just looking for the best unlocked bargain for a budget. Very likely if I buy a cheaper unlocked phone at a store like Best Buy, maybe an open box special, it might work on AT&T or T-Mobile, or Verizon, but limited on the "Sprint only" bands. Unlocked doesn't necessarily mean full functionality on the 4 carriers. Especially with older phones that might still be sold in various places.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Moto e6 doesn't look too bad for a possible unlocked version if it has most of the useful bands. I have a Straight Talk Version of it and like it.

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=6035

Feedback Score
    Moto e6 doesn't look too bad for a possible unlocked version if it has most of the useful bands. I have a Straight Talk Version of it and like it.

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=6035
    The Moto E6 has all of the major bands - 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 25, 26, 41, 66, 71.

The Moto G7 has a few more and one less - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 66, 38, 40, 41, but does not have band 71. That would be a deal killer for me. I really want band 71 for T-Mobile. The G7 Play has band 71, but not 41. 41 is going to be important for phones used with T-Mobile.

Either purchased without carrier branding will work on all four networks. I tried an E6. It is a nice phone at the lower end of mid-priced phones. Not many frills, but completely adequate if you don't have to have NFC, wireless charging, fingerprint sensor, and more than 2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage. I was tempted to keep it, but decided to upgrade to a G7 Power. It doesn't have NFC or wireless charging either.

On AT&T you won't get VoLTE on unbranded phones yet.

You should get a carrier agnostic phone. You could spend your day swapping SIMs to use different carriers/service providers for different things.

There is a topic here about unlocked carrier agnostic phones:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Verizon-Sprint

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Moto E6 has all of the major bands - 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 25, 26, 41, 66, 71.

The Moto G7 has a few more and one less - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 66, 38, 40, 41, but does not have band 71. That would be a deal killer for me. I really want band 71 for T-Mobile. The G7 Play has band 71, but not 41. 41 is going to be important for phones used with T-Mobile.

Either purchased without carrier branding will work on all four networks. I tried an E6. It is a nice phone at the lower end of mid-priced phones. Not many frills, but completely adequate if you don't have to have NFC, wireless charging, fingerprint sensor, and more than 2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage. I was tempted to keep it, but decided to upgrade to a G7 Power. It doesn't have NFC or wireless charging either.

On AT&T you won't get VoLTE on unbranded phones yet.

You should get a carrier agnostic phone. You could spend your day swapping SIMs to use different carriers/service providers for different things.

There is a topic here about unlocked carrier agnostic phones:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Verizon-Sprint
    Thank you, great reference. The 16gb/2gb memory of the e6 is currently all I need, and I don't need wireless charging, NFC either. I like the e6 in size and just about all it does so far. I've seen it for 99.99 at Best Buy, 49.99 if the phone is activated now (AT&T, VZ, T-Mo I think). I want to have it for MVNO use so I can try different ones if needed. I wouldn't buy activated on the upper tier plans the main carriers offer. More than I need and pricey.

The G7 Play is 129.99 unlocked at Best Buy, 79.99 activate now.

The Blu unlocked phones are 79.99 buy outright but tend to be GSM AT&T.

A Nokia 2.2 32gb is 99.99 buy outright but is GSM. I could just get an AT&T branded phone and unlock if I wanted GSM AT&T. I have a 32gb/2gb LG Neon Plus I haven't unlocked yet. Nice, by the way. I do like it.

The Moto e6 is so far the best deal I've found, but the G7 Play is nice at 5.7". The Power is more but I think bigger too and I want to stay 5.7" or under. The e6 being just shy of 5.5" is good for me.

I'll check the link you provided, thanks much.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I've seen the list. I copied some info about bands out to my notepad. I need to read the whole thread. It's a great ref. I'm tired of stockpiling branded phones (TracFone branded) that can't qualify to be unlocked without a years service. Why don't they charge a fee to unlock ones that have been activated less than a year. But this isn't the TF forum. Don't want to get gripey. TF has its good points. At least AT&T isn't too hard to unlock.

Ready for an unlocked phone, but need to brush up on what's available for a decent price, and have to study up on the bands each has.

Thanks again.

8=)

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The G7 Play has band 71, but not 41. 41 is going to be important for phones used with T-Mobile.
    The G7 Play does have Band 41. It has all the bands for USA carriers, same as the G7 Power.