Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: 4G flip phone users

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question 4G flip phone users

    Hi,

    New member here.

    I wanted to get some suggestions and advice regarding 4G flip phones from those who have used them. I'm not happy with Verizon...giving up my trusty LG vx8300 as my everyday phone is infuriating; it has been very good to me. Better speakers than a lot of smartphones, too. But, since Verizon doesn't care about the minority (though flip phone users, even millenial ones, are definitely increasing), we have to find an alternative. I have to have something that will work with Verizon postpaid (switching carriers is not an option in the short term). I looked into the Dura Extreme, but it's HUGE, especially for a lady's hands. I was told the DuraXV LTE is even bigger than the Extreme??

    I'm willing to consider the Cadence, although I hate the teeny weeny outer display, but I'd prefer to have a video recorder and a camera flash if possible, which it does not have (at least the video for sure).

    I've never owned a smartphone for myself (only have used someone else's from time to time), so my phone expectations are lower than those who regularly use a smartphone; however, I'm still stuck on what the best option is.

    Internet -- A mobile browser is not a must for me, but I wouldn't complain about having the ability to search for a number when out & about or check the weather. I prefer a flip phone for the same reasons most flip phone lovers do -- simplicity, lack of data collection, durability with drops on the ground, no accidental calls/facetimes, better battery life, the ability to text with one hand without looking, etc. I don't need apps.

    Messaging/Texting -- I'm perfectly fine with the old-style of texting (using ABC instead of T9, etc.), as that's what I use daily; my fingers are used to it, and I'm actually much faster with it than T9. What messaging issue that bothers me, though, with these 4G flip phones (at least ones available to use with Verizon) is not having an option to have the Inbox and Sent displayed. As I'm not a smartphone owner, I do not like the threaded/conversation style; I like most recent messages on top and replying to individual messges (keeping only the ones I want).

    Is there a Verizon-compatible 4G flip that allows this style of messaging in the Settings? If not, do most of them let you still delete single messages in a thread? I was told the Dura Extreme has an option to let you pick how many messages per conversation, but I don't know if any of the other 4G flips do? I wonder if you can limit the messages to 2 or 3, with this option, and that force another thread to start, therefore providing a workaround?

    Do any of the phones that I mentioned prevent you from texting while on a call? I saw someone mention that.

    Nokia -- it seems like these Nokia 4G flip options are not available in the USA yet? At least with Verizon?

    LG -- Is the Exalt the only LG option? It also appears the newer LG flip is not available in the USA either? My issue with the main Exalt is the lack of an outer screen, as I use this very often to check to see if any new messages and to check the time, plus it reduces how many times it's flipped open, lengthening the life of the hinge. The Exalt that does have the outer screen is very ugly (the numbers are like Pacman dots or robot eyes), but I'm not sure how customizable that outer screen is?

    Schok/Nuu -- I've read both that they are and are not compatible with Verizon, so I'm not sure which is true??

    Not sure about the ZTE Cymbal on a postpaid account??

    Ringtones/Notification/Alarm tones -- While watching a video review of the Alcatel Go Flip, it appears there is not an option to set a custom (mp3/song) tone for the alarm clock or calendar reminders? One thing that is important to me is the custom tones, as I use them not only for different songs for different contacts, but also for text notifications and alarm tones (much more enjoyable to wake up to). I already have the mp3's for those tones and can convert them to another file format if necessary, but as long as the phone will allow me to transfer them from the PC, such as with a microSD card, usb cable (or worst case scenario with saving through a text msg), then I should be able to transfer them.

    I also have BitPim, but I don't know if it's compatible with any 4G flip phones????

    Alcatel/Orbic/Kazuna etalk -- Pros & cons for what I need?? Is the Go Flip the only Alcatel flip available for Verizon postpaid? It looks like the Go Flip 3 is only available for other carriers?
    One of the Go Flip videos seemed to show it very slow to start up, as in more than one minute to turn fully on. Again, I'm basing my expectations off of a vx8300 (turns on pretty quickly though), as it's my favorite phone and what I use daily.

    So, as long as the camera and video are better than it (which I guess any modern phone would be), and it's not too much more complicated or annoying with how it works, etc., then I should be somewhat satisfied. I really would prefer the old style menus, such as on the vx8300, where everything is laid out easy, but it looks like icons and app-style options are unavoidable with the 4G? A pretty clear speakerphone at louder volumes (especially when in a car) is important, but I'm assuming all of the modern flip speakerphones should be even better than mine.

    Battery -- needs to be replaceable, especially so I can carry a spare one.

    Software/Accounts -- need to have the ability to avoid creating/using a Google account. And the ability to choose not to have messages/contacts backed up to the cloud. I'm using a family plan, so I need the privacy of just doing it myself with the computer/SD card.

    Price -- As for price, I plan to purchase the phone through a resale website (ebay, etc.) from a reputable seller, as it will be cheaper, and do the bring your own device option, so the different model prices will vary. I want affordable for a somewhat tight budget, though.

    Sorry for the long post, but I've tried to do my research both on here and other sites, and I'm still stuck on what options are available and which one to choose. Side note: You can't stop me, Verizon, from using my 3G phone as an alarm clock or mp3 player, etc. So pffft on you. Long live the flip phone users!

    THANK YOU for any help!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    I should've also added: is anyone else basically already losing most of their 3G coverage in rural areas?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know that I only posted this thread 2 days ago, but I really need to get the phone pretty soon, so I neglected to say this before:

    I apologize for the length of the post, but for those who can only answer a few of the questions, or even just one, please feel free to do so anyway, as every answer helps me narrow down the choices further.

    Thanks so much!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,651
    Feedback Score
    0
    Random thoughts....

    Many lament the state of modern basic/feature phones compared to what was available on some better older models. It happened with the AT&T 2G shutdown a few years ago, and with the looming Verizon CDMA shutdown this year.

    You pretty much need a Verizon branded phone to use in their service. That limits your choices as you see. There are phones that can run on Verizon service, but they have to be approved by them on what is known as the "whitelist". MVNO phones that can run on the Verizon network usually can't be used directly on Verizon.

    The available Verizon basic phones are either junky or too expensive. The LG Exalt is not sold by them anymore, and can sell for over $200 used.The Alcatel Flip phones are low end, and I doubt you would like one.

    None of the basic phones run on Android, so no Google account.

    So many liked T9 texting that the manufacturers may not offer alternates. I hated it back in the day and always used ABC. I seldom use text messages from the phone anyway, as it can be done through my computer far easier.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,651
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    I should've also added: is anyone else basically already losing most of their 3G coverage in rural areas?
    Have not heard of many loosing 3G, but a lot of fear of loosing voice/text by not having 4G in some outlying areas when CDMA shuts down. Some reports of the loss of CDMA if that equipment breaks on a tower, and them not fixing it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,541
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've used the Exalt LTE. Don't think the outer screen is customizable at all. Browser appeared to be the Android "Browser" (modified so the arrow keys move a cursor around on the screen), i.e. not Chrome, the one it shipped with up through Android 3 or 4 or so. You can switch it between T9 and ABC. It is a stripped down "Message+" as far as I can tell. Per Google, you can apparently throw music onto the SDCard and use it as ring tones. If you have a plan with data, deep deep down in the settings (so someone doesn't find it by accident and get confused I think...) it does have a hotspot; it's category 4 LTE so almost any other phone will have a faster hotspot, but my dad used it to watch some baseball games and it worked fine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Random thoughts....

    Many lament the state of modern basic/feature phones compared to what was available on some better older models. It happened with the AT&T 2G shutdown a few years ago, and with the looming Verizon CDMA shutdown this year.

    You pretty much need a Verizon branded phone to use in their service. That limits your choices as you see. There are phones that can run on Verizon service, but they have to be approved by them on what is known as the "whitelist". MVNO phones that can run on the Verizon network usually can't be used directly on Verizon.

    The available Verizon basic phones are either junky or too expensive. The LG Exalt is not sold by them anymore, and can sell for over $200 used.The Alcatel Flip phones are low end, and I doubt you would like one.

    None of the basic phones run on Android, so no Google account.

    So many liked T9 texting that the manufacturers may not offer alternates. I hated it back in the day and always used ABC. I seldom use text messages from the phone anyway, as it can be done through my computer far easier.
    Yeah, it's pretty bad when flip phones from twenty years ago or more are often better than what's available as current flip phones or 4G flips.

    As for the whitelist and all, are you confirming that it's hard/impossible to use the Schok or Nuu with Verizon? I read both yes and no, so I wasn't sure. Too bad the Nokia & LG newer ones don't appear to be available in the U.S., from what I can tell. I don't know if they plan to bring them to the U.S. or not.

    I have found some used/ones on re-sell sites (from trustworthy sellers) that are more affordable, so at the moment, I'm just trying to narrow it down the best option and maybe a backup, and then look for those. I've seen the Exalt cheaper, but again, I'm not sure if that one that actually has the outer screen is customizable on that screen or not.

    What are your main cons about the Alcatel's or Go Flip? Remember, I'm only comparing it to the LG 8300.

    It seems like Abc is still available as an option on a lot of them, though T9 may be set to default (not sure).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Have not heard of many loosing 3G, but a lot of fear of loosing voice/text by not having 4G in some outlying areas when CDMA shuts down. Some reports of the loss of CDMA if that equipment breaks on a tower, and them not fixing it.
    Some in our local rural area can barely make calls or send texts on 3G right now. It depends on the tower locations. The basic gist from Verizon is the 3G losing "room", so they can have more space for the 4G and 5G. Meaning, even though we have until Dec., they don't care if you lose service you're paying for. Hence, me trying to find the 4G flip soon that I'd be most sastisfied with...the lesser of the evils I should say.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I've used the Exalt LTE. Don't think the outer screen is customizable at all. Browser appeared to be the Android "Browser" (modified so the arrow keys move a cursor around on the screen), i.e. not Chrome, the one it shipped with up through Android 3 or 4 or so. You can switch it between T9 and ABC. It is a stripped down "Message+" as far as I can tell. Per Google, you can apparently throw music onto the SDCard and use it as ring tones. If you have a plan with data, deep deep down in the settings (so someone doesn't find it by accident and get confused I think...) it does have a hotspot; it's category 4 LTE so almost any other phone will have a faster hotspot, but my dad used it to watch some baseball games and it worked fine.
    So the Exalt with the outer screen just has those alarm clock/Pacman dots and that's all that it will let you show on the front screen?

    Can you elaborate on the stripped down Message+?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,651
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    What are your main cons about the Alcatel's or Go Flip? Remember, I'm only comparing it to the LG 8300.
    Not sure about the Verizon Go Flip V in comparison to other Alcatel Flip models. It is more expensive than other versions, and would be Verizon customized. Comparison: Tracfone Alcatel MyFlip is $20, while the Verizon Go Flip V is $100. The Tracfone LG Classic Flip has been getting good reviews from former Alcatel Flip users, but you can't use it directly on Verizon.

    https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/Veriz...-flip-v-ug.pdf

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not sure about the Verizon Go Flip V in comparison to other Alcatel Flip models. It is more expensive than other versions, and would be Verizon customized. Comparison: Tracfone Alcatel MyFlip is $20, while the Verizon Go Flip V is $100. The Tracfone LG Classic Flip has been getting good reviews from former Alcatel Flip users, but you can't use it directly on Verizon.

    https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/Veriz...-flip-v-ug.pdf
    Oh you weren't talking about the Verizon version. Too bad more unlocked phones don't seem to work with Verizon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,651
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    Oh you weren't talking about the Verizon version. Too bad more unlocked phones don't seem to work with Verizon.
    As I said before, all phones have to be whitelisted by Verizon to run directly on their service. The Verizon capable phones sold by the MVNOs can't be used, even if unlocked. I don't know of any unlocked basic/flip phones that can be put in Verizon service. Phones sold for the "world" market (Europe, Asia, etc.) don't usually support Verizon frequencies.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    As I said before, all phones have to be whitelisted by Verizon to run directly on their service. The Verizon capable phones sold by the MVNOs can't be used, even if unlocked. I don't know of any unlocked basic/flip phones that can be put in Verizon service. Phones sold for the "world" market (Europe, Asia, etc.) don't usually support Verizon frequencies.
    I guess I got confused by MVNO, because even though I've seen it, I don't know what it stands for.

    It's helpful to know that you don't know of any unlocked ones that work, so I can essentially rule those out.

    I guess I'm gonna have to contact Alcatel and see if they know about the options I asked about that aren't referenced in the manual. Kyocera aside, I'm assuming most people would pick the Alcatel over the Orbic & Kazuna?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,651
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    I guess I got confused by MVNO, because even though I've seen it, I don't know what it stands for.
    Mobile Virtual Network Operator. The "Virtual" part is they don't have their own physical network, but use that of an existing carrier. Some carriers have Prepaid companies that act like an MVNO, rather than a subsidiary. Example is Verizon's Visible.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Mobile Virtual Network Operator. The "Virtual" part is they don't have their own physical network, but use that of an existing carrier. Some carriers have Prepaid companies that act like an MVNO, rather than a subsidiary. Example is Verizon's Visible.
    Oh the ones that use other provider's towers, I see. That helps to know!

    I contacted Alcatel. I know you didn't have the Verizon version, but it seems like there's no way for custom alert tones for reminders, alarm clock, or texts for different individuals (different songs for different people), but that it is available for people in your contacts as a ringtone? Was that the way it was with yours? Were you able to text while on a call? I was also told that a contacts import and export should work, if in vcard format.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for CDMA Flip Phone user
    By HardWird in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM
  2. Looking for UTNT no data on a 4G flip phone.
    By barryspar in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 02:25 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
  4. Flip phone user moving to slider
    By puter in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks