Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of carrier owned prepaid brands

Feedback Score
    The rest of their life probably sucks.

Feedback Score
    We use some coupons. Our favorite local Mexican restaurant always has $5 off $25 and $6 off $30 coupons available, which fits what we usually spend there, that we use every month or so. We use other restaurant coupons, and oil change coupons, too.

But one thing we DON'T usually use is national brand name grocery coupons, because we usually buy Meijer, Kroger, or Walmart brands, which are usually just as good as the national brands, but significantly cheaper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    AT&T has AT&T prepaid, but also cricket
    Sprint had sprint prepaid, but also boost mobile
    verizon has vzw prepaid, but also visible
    tmobile has tmoble prepaid but also metro pcs.

Why? What is the point of those secondary prepaid brands? Why would i want "cricket wireless" when I can have "AT&T". Why would someone want to advertise the fact that they are poor and have bad credit by having a prepaid label service.

You have it backwards, poor people use Postpaid because they can't afford to purchase a $1000.00 phone outright.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    You have it backwards, poor people use Postpaid because they can't afford to purchase a $1000.00 phone outright.
    Yes. But is it possible to get an equivalent service plan and use a BYOP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    I don't use coupons, either, except in very rare circumstances. It's a lot of time-wasting and hassle for very little return. I'm not poor or wasteful with my money (which is why I'm here).

Besides the time and hassle, coupons aren't free money from the sky... they are marketer's tricks, trying to get you to spend more money in the end. Either it's to get you into the habit of buying a premium-brand that costs more than the generic equivalent, or it's a store doing the high/low pricing strategy, trying to get you to ignore how much you're overpaying for everything else, using a few token items that are eye-poppingly cheap.
    I would tend to agree for the most part. Where I would draw the line is how much effort it takes to clip that coupon. If it something I'm buying anyway and I can save $1 using the stores app or checking their flyer at the front of the store, I'll take 30 seconds or however long it takes to clip that coupon. If I can save $1 for even 3 minutes of my time, that's the small equivalent of a $20 an hour wage to me. But you won't see me doing the stuff they do on those Extreme Couponing shows. Then again, I think the people who put that much time and effort into that see it more as a hobby and do it more for enjoyment as much as anyone would golf, sports cars, etc.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Lots of people don't know or care about byop. To alot, it's too complicated. Easier to just go to the carrier store and get the free subsidized/phone every 2 years... Plus pay that bill every month.

Of course the readers of this site are mostly on the other end of the spectrum. Pretty certain the bulk of us are paying a fraction of full price service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Yes. But is it possible to get an equivalent service plan and use a BYOP.
    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If your only internet connection is a mobile one that's unlimited and high enough speed, sounds like a good idea to use it for home internet as a hotspot. Not everyone can afford to have a fixed cost that's not utilized all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    That makes sense now. No wonder so many welfare/Section 8/SNAP recipients here in NYC have unlimited T-Mobile postpaid plans.
    Many of them have no home WIFI or landline.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    If your only internet connection is a mobile one that's unlimited and high enough speed, sounds like a good idea to use it for home internet as a hotspot. Not everyone can afford to have a fixed cost that's not utilized all the time.
    All of the "Unlimited" high speed plans have the hotspot feature shut down by the carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    All of the "Unlimited" high speed plans have the hotspot feature shut down by the carrier.
    Except Visible...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In my previous post I almost said something but did not spell it out. The busy person who uses the phone all day may perceive that when trouble arises she can run in the carrier's store and ask them to fix the hardware or software or whatever the heck is wrong. If she needs a new device maybe they can get it working on the spot. If she sees it that way, it's better to let her have that peace of mind. Or maybe she is correct; they'll be super-helpful every time.

The other angle with MVNOs or with Metro and Cricket is that they only give the native service from T-Mobile or AT&T, no domestic roaming. We all know that, but it can be important. As T-Mobile has improved coverage here in the DC area, it has become less important, but it might matter for some. Much of this area benefited when T-Mobile bought licenses for Band 12 and built that out. That made it possible for my busy friend to switch to T-Mobile, which previously didn't reach her neighborhood. So she is shopping price but not going all the way to shopping Red Pocket on eBay.

Feedback Score
    These brands make additional revenue for their parent companies. I mean if AT&T was just by itself and had a lot of service problems - wouldn't you want to be able to go to a competing carrier to end your headaches? Case in point: Sprint has been swallowed up by T-mobile and has gone the way of the dinosaur. Competition, Revenue and Brand Awareness is the three things I think about when it comes to Prepaid. You also pay less for Prepaid than Postpaid. And Prepaid brings cash to the company faster than Postpaid. With the majority of Postpaid customers you can expect an electronic payment. Whereas in Prepaid they have payment systems set up to take cash as well as electronic payments. If you go into a Verizon store there is a machine in the corner for customers to make a payment. In a store that accepts Prepaid payments and top ups - the merchant or clerk performs the transactions. I mean you can find some Prepaid kiosks at some stores. They do exist. Cash is easier to accept then waiting for an electronic payment to post or possibly be declined. It doesn't happen with cash. And, lastly waiting for a mailed or misdirected payment takes time for delivery and posting to your account and their ledger.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

What is the point of carrier owned prepaid brands

Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    AT&T has AT&T prepaid, but also cricket
    Sprint had sprint prepaid, but also boost mobile
    verizon has vzw prepaid, but also visible
    tmobile has tmoble prepaid but also metro pcs.

Why? What is the point of those secondary prepaid brands? Why would i want "cricket wireless" when I can have "AT&T". Why would someone want to advertise the fact that they are poor and have bad credit by having a prepaid label service.
    I know someone like u. She always asks the brand of clothing someone is wearing and even actually pulls people’s collars just to peek at the brand tag.

No one mature cares about someone else’s brand of phone service.

I have an excellent 800+ credit score and I have prepaid phone services - Google Voice and the freedom of jumping from one carrier to another and having multiple carriers simultaneously.

Hubby, though, has a postpaid Tmob (since 2001). We’ve kept that but I downgraded it to 3Gb (bc he’s almost always on Wifi so doesn’t need the large data allotment) long time ago after he was automatically migrated to a plan. Last year, Tmob turned his plan into unlimited data.

I coupon and I stack MQs, store Qs and sales. It’s the thrill of the game. My reward - fun and free toiletries. Clipping is actually quick. Lots of mommy blogs out there that already tell me what Qs to clip. I’m very peer pressure-proof so I tend to only buy what I actually need.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimWorthey View Post

The other angle with MVNOs or with Metro and Cricket is that they only give the native service from T-Mobile or AT&T, no domestic roaming. We all know that, but it can be important.
    At least ATT has started providing some limited roaming on prepaid. Examples I have seen is in some areas of Nebraska and Wyoming.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The main carriers have these spinoff subsidiaries to provide an alternative brands with plans tailored to non business customers. I guess it eases with the menu glut of offerings.

Not everyone can be served effectively by the corporate arm of the company.

As for mvnos, that's a way for the carrier to sell extra bandwidth and offload the tech support headaches onto another. Back on the day, users had to be very knowledgeable and experimental if they wanted to save a few bucks and go this route, doing their own tech support. But things have gotten better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    and offload the tech support headaches onto another.
    Never thought of that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast