Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of carrier owned prepaid brands

Feedback Score

What is the point of carrier owned prepaid brands

AT&T has AT&T prepaid, but also cricket
    Sprint had sprint prepaid, but also boost mobile
    verizon has vzw prepaid, but also visible
    tmobile has tmoble prepaid but also metro pcs.

Why? What is the point of those secondary prepaid brands? Why would i want "cricket wireless" when I can have "AT&T". Why would someone want to advertise the fact that they are poor and have bad credit by having a prepaid label service.

Feedback Score
    Because the rates are lower than the big boys. I don't think the stigma of using a prepaid carrier in a as bad as you think. And how do most people know another person's carrier.
    I would bet a good and of the members of this forum use a prepaid carrier. I am a post paid AT&T customer only because I am a retiree and get a healthy discount.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's the illusion of choice. It's called a flanker or fighter brand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_brand

Basically, the companies realize that people still want their product, but they either don't want to or can't afford to pay the company directly. These companies compete using the flanker brands because it's still money (even though it's less money) that isn't going to the competition.

Sprint was notorious for this. At one point, they had Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile USA, Sprint As You Go and Sprint Prepaid. It was all revenue but it looked like 4 different companies. It offered basically the same level of service, and the money specifically didn't get lost to T-Mobile, AT&T or Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post

Why? What is the point of those secondary prepaid brands? Why would i want "cricket wireless" when I can have "AT&T". Why would someone want to advertise the fact that they are poor and have bad credit by having a prepaid label service.
    Basically the same reason that GM sells Cadillacs, Buicks, and Chevrolets. Different price points and features to capture more of the overall market. Study some business and marketing and learn how the world works.

What are you 12?

I am not poor and have excellent credit. My phone does not tell anyone that I use Tracfone. Nobody I know cares what service I use. Anyone who did is a D-bag and worthy scorn. That is an obnoxious juvenile attitude that usually comes from young people who are not even making their own money and paying their own bills. Any adult who would do that is a class-A jerk that I would have nothing to do with.

Feedback Score

Wow. Judgmental, much!?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post

Basically, the companies realize that people still want their product, but they either don't want to or can't afford to pay the company directly.

Or ARE TOO SMART "to pay the company directly".

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At $10 a month (cricket, 10gb) I'd be an idiot to switch to pay $40-50 a month.

Feedback Score
    My credit is good. I’ve used prepaid service for several years because it works great and saves me money. I couldn’t care less what someone thinks of me for using prepaid. They can pay the high prices to subsidize my low price.

Feedback Score

What Is The Point Of Carrier Owned Prepaid Brands

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    At $10 a month (cricket, 10gb) I'd be an idiot to switch to pay $40-50 a month.
    How do I get that? Is it still available?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I believe this is line 4 price in grandfathered 5 lines for $100 plan. If not, can you share your plan?

Feedback Score
    What is the point of those secondary prepaid brands? Why would i want "cricket wireless" when I can have "AT&T". Why would someone want to advertise the fact that they are poor and have bad credit by having a prepaid label service.
    Because for a lot of people, their (wasted money) phone/service is their only sense of self-worth, which I can understand, but which is dumb to people with smarter thinking. If you succumb to peer pressure, you are not doing yourself any favors and you are not going to feel better. You will regret wasting tons of money as life plays out.

I think the OP is enjoying a bit of trolling us, BTW.
    Last edited by Lisme; 08-07-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Add quote.

Feedback Score
    Shhh... Please don't let anybody know I'm on the Red Pocket $5/month plan. And I'm also using a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip which I probably maxed out my credit card and paying the minimum payment every month at 22% interest.

Please... I don't want to lose face with such a lowly MVNO and using debt to finance a flagship phone.

Perhaps one day I'll be rich and switch over to TMobile postpaid.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by munkala; 08-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    It's from back when the cricket plans were $10, $20, $30, $40 off of subsequent additional lines... Long since gone unfortunately. Still there are some good prepaid values. Red pocket annual plans @$150 or less for the 1000/1000/1000 (talk/text/data).. Actually texts might be unlimited on that plan.

Feedback Score
    The answer is SHELF SPACE. Also the OP is going to be president some day. So, respect.

The wealth vs ISP idea is counter to my observations:

The more income tax paid by the owner, the more flippy more stupid more MVNO the cellphone, and the more deprioritized the data.

The less W2 income and less tax paid, like when someone else is paying like uncle Sam or mum&dad, the smarter the cellphone and the more prioritized the data.

I recommend we consult the USA presidential candidates on this question. One clearly has a smartphone and tweets whenever first lady kicks him to the oval-office’s now orange-stained couch. The other candidate has a rotary phone which his wife&staff told him can send tweets.

No endorsement of candidates is implied. The goal of the post was for yall to get a chuckle and an iPhone SE2 for $100 to see for yourself why Apple is better.

Live long and prosper.

Feedback Score
    For the same reason you could get a pyramid of Natty Light for the same price as a few cases of Bud Select: both accomplish the same goal (get you drunk) while tasting slightly different at different price points. If I'm going to bankroll a party, or in my case a family plan, I'm going to get the better value if the end result is the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast