Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile says its now the Nations #2 Wireless Carrier

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is #2 in subscriber count only, and only using their flawed methodology which undercounts AT&Ts subscribers. T-Mobiles network is still a very distant #3 behind Verizon and AT&T. From a network and coverage perspective, T-Mobile isnt anywhere close to big red or big blue, and thats not going to change anytime soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    T-Mobile is #2 in subscriber count only, and only using their flawed methodology which undercounts AT&Ts subscribers. T-Mobiles network is still a very distant #3 behind Verizon and AT&T. From a network and coverage perspective, T-Mobile isnt anywhere close to big red or big blue, and thats not going to change anytime soon.
    AT&T counting rando IoT things that use ~200kbps-2MB of data each month isnt a really valid branded subscriber count either. Its all creative math.

Also, it again... depends on the market. Where Im sitting at right now for work.. AT&T was No Service inside the restaurant we just left, but T-Mobile and Verizon are humming along just fine. I had to loan my MHS to the AT&T user at the table haha
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more rural areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    AT&T counting rando IoT things that use ~200kbps-2MB of data each month isn’t a really valid branded subscriber count either. It’s all creative math.

Also, it again... depends on the market. Where I’m sitting at right now for work.. AT&T was No Service inside the restaurant we just left, but T-Mobile and Verizon are humming along just fine. I had to loan my MHS to the AT&T user at the table haha
    It’s not connected devices, it’s prepaid that they’re undercounting.

I travel all over the country and T-Mobile’s coverage and reliability isn’t anywhere close to Verizon or AT&T. In fact, I’ve never encountered an area where T-Mobile was the only one who had coverage, or a market where T-Mobile was the best. It’s always Verizon or AT&T.

T-Mobile has definitely improved, but they’re still decades behind, and despite what their marketing says, they’ll always be playing catch up. Other than spectrum and subscribers, T-Mobile didn’t really gain anything from the Sprint merger. Their coverage maps overlap. They would have to expand coverage a great deal to compete, and that takes time, money and resources, something their competitors have a lot more of.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It’s not connected devices, it’s prepaid that they’re undercounting.

I travel all over the country and T-Mobile’s coverage and reliability isn’t anywhere close to Verizon or AT&T. In fact, I’ve never encountered an area where T-Mobile was the only one who had coverage, or a market where T-Mobile was the best. It’s always Verizon or AT&T.

T-Mobile has definitely improved, but they’re still decades behind, and despite what their marketing says, they’ll always be playing catch up. Other than spectrum and subscribers, T-Mobile didn’t really gain anything from the Sprint merger. Their coverage maps overlap. They would have to expand coverage a great deal to compete, and that takes time, money and resources, something their competitors have a lot more of.
    I, also travel all over the country for work (In fact, been in 12 different states already so far this month staying overnight and milling around said city I was in).. I’m typing this on a work trip, as I get ready to head to the airport soon.

T-Mobile is fine 99% of time, I actually cannot recall the last time I’ve had a “No Service” issue with T-Mobile.. Sure some slow LTE data at a few random gates at the airport.. but Verizon I’ve found is a far worse offender in that category thanks to being so spectrum constrained and having to install DAS/small cells to the point they create weak/dead spots in odd places.

And if you’ve never encountered a spot that AT&T had No Service, and T-Mobile has.. clearly your travels do not take you around the Midwest much, It happens.. and more than I’m sure AT&T’d like to admit. Even traveling around rurally in Ohio a few weeks ago, I had to use T-Mobile in a few spots AT&T could not figure out if they wanted to use weak 700MHz or HSPA on 850MHz.. both overloaded/weak to the point of being useless at the lake I was on.. T-Mobile? 600MHz “5G” Coverage getting 75Mbps no problem. It *does* happen.

Like I said, FirstNet rollout (publicly wasted tax dollars, btw) has really helped AT&T overall, but they’re nowhere near as good as your claiming. I just shitcanned them a week ago due to absolutely dysfunctional customer service.

FirstNet is nice, but DEALING with AT&T simply is not worth it. That company is so compartmentalized and they LOVE their outsourced reps that are not remotely trained in anything, It’s a wonder anything gets done over there at all.

T-Mobile has done quite an impressive amount of organic growth without the need for government money (AT&T) or buying a rural carrier (Verizon with Alltel). The sheer amount of coverage they’ve been able to organically add in such a short amount of time without one of those two things is quite impressive.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile says its now the Nations #2 Wireless Carrier

I, also travel all over the country for work (In fact, been in 12 different states already so far this month staying overnight and milling around said city I was in).. Im typing this on a work trip, as I get ready to head to the airport soon.

T-Mobile is fine 99% of time, I actually cannot recall the last time Ive had a No Service issue with T-Mobile.. Sure some slow LTE data at a few random gates at the airport.. but Verizon Ive found is a far worse offender in that category thanks to being so spectrum constrained and having to install DAS/small cells to the point they create weak/dead spots in odd places.

And if youve never encountered a spot that AT&T had No Service, and T-Mobile has.. clearly your travels do not take you around the Midwest much, It happens.. and more than Im sure AT&Td like to admit. Even traveling around rurally in Ohio a few weeks ago, I had to use T-Mobile in a few spots AT&T could not figure out if they wanted to use weak 700MHz or HSPA on 850MHz.. both overloaded/weak to the point of being useless at the lake I was on.. T-Mobile? 600MHz 5G Coverage getting 75Mbps no problem. It *does* happen.

Like I said, FirstNet rollout (publicly wasted tax dollars, btw) has really helped AT&T overall, but theyre nowhere near as good as your claiming. I just shitcanned them a week ago due to absolutely dysfunctional customer service.

FirstNet is nice, but DEALING with AT&T simply is not worth it. That company is so compartmentalized and they LOVE their outsourced reps that are not remotely trained in anything, Its a wonder anything gets done over there at all.

T-Mobile has done quite an impressive amount of organic growth without the need for government money (AT&T) or buying a rural carrier (Verizon with Alltel). The sheer amount of coverage theyve been able to organically add in such a short amount of time without one of those two things is quite impressive.
    Im not traveling quite as much now but I used to a lot for work. You are right there are a lot of spots where T-Mobile shines and Ive encountered many of them where they had better coverage and more usable coverage than att. I would surely have att if I lived in west va or maybe Alaska, but other than that T-Mobile covers me well. Havent been to those 2 states in a while so T-Mobile may be better there now. I was surprised at how good T-Mobile had gotten in most places I traveled. Definitely not perfect but major improvements and that includes some rural spots

I think T-Mobile will get there but they need time. They have more resources so that should help and could speed things up some.

I agree about att customer service. Its the worst in the business. Once some prepaids run out, both me and my husband will be T-Mobile only. We dont travel as much now and when we do T-Mobile has been great overall

If T-Mobile continues to improve Ill he happy. If I see more and more 600 over time that will be nice. Att seems to still have more overall coverage so hopefully T-Mobile keeps going at it especially if they want the business customers. Ive seen those customers drop a carrier quickly over issues

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    .....I think T-Mobile will get there but they need time......
    (n.b. So far, that's been a 20-year process.)
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Hopefully sooner rather than later. T-Mobiles rural coverage needs tlc and Id like to see 600 on more towers.

When they say they want to beat Verizon they prob mean customer count and not coverage. Hopefully they mean coverage too but we shall see. If they want business customers they need to keep the coverage improvements going

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile says its now the Nations #2 Wireless Carrier

I, also travel all over the country for work (In fact, been in 12 different states already so far this month staying overnight and milling around said city I was in).. Im typing this on a work trip, as I get ready to head to the airport soon.

T-Mobile is fine 99% of time, I actually cannot recall the last time Ive had a No Service issue with T-Mobile.. Sure some slow LTE data at a few random gates at the airport.. but Verizon Ive found is a far worse offender in that category thanks to being so spectrum constrained and having to install DAS/small cells to the point they create weak/dead spots in odd places.

And if youve never encountered a spot that AT&T had No Service, and T-Mobile has.. clearly your travels do not take you around the Midwest much, It happens.. and more than Im sure AT&Td like to admit. Even traveling around rurally in Ohio a few weeks ago, I had to use T-Mobile in a few spots AT&T could not figure out if they wanted to use weak 700MHz or HSPA on 850MHz.. both overloaded/weak to the point of being useless at the lake I was on.. T-Mobile? 600MHz 5G Coverage getting 75Mbps no problem. It *does* happen.

Like I said, FirstNet rollout (publicly wasted tax dollars, btw) has really helped AT&T overall, but theyre nowhere near as good as your claiming. I just shitcanned them a week ago due to absolutely dysfunctional customer service.

FirstNet is nice, but DEALING with AT&T simply is not worth it. That company is so compartmentalized and they LOVE their outsourced reps that are not remotely trained in anything, Its a wonder anything gets done over there at all.

T-Mobile has done quite an impressive amount of organic growth without the need for government money (AT&T) or buying a rural carrier (Verizon with Alltel). The sheer amount of coverage theyve been able to organically add in such a short amount of time without one of those two things is quite impressive.
    T-Mobile has certainly closed the coverage gap with the duopoly. Atts coverage advantage gas eroded significantly in the last few years. First net will not save them.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

These are all valid and great points. The 'old' AT&T Wireless had much better CS, even with worse network than AT&T Mobility. Getting things fixed when they didn't apply my 'North America Package' way back then was a simple call, and they'd also typically comp me for their mistake. Verizon (going back further) was a nightmare with billing. I had to get the BBB involved, as the Left hand of VZW didn't want to deal with the right hand of VZW and pushed their issue on me. Sprint itself was a bit of a pain - especially migrating from Nextel to Sprint with a corp line. It took +4 hours, not including the fact that they 'lost' my number in the process. Is 'T-Mobile the best'.. that's subjective, and mostly based on specific factors. Does T-Mobile work the best 'for me'.... currently yes. Are they perfect. No - and no carrier is.
    Similar to Daisydoo... if I lived somewhere else (upstate NY/VT/NH, AK, UP of MI, northern WI) I'd probably be using a different carrier. Here in urban/suburban area, T-Mobile works as well as any other.. if not a little better in some areas, and costs a bit less.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    These are all valid and great points. The 'old' AT&T Wireless had much better CS, even with worse network than AT&T Mobility. Getting things fixed when they didn't apply my 'North America Package' way back then was a simple call, and they'd also typically comp me for their mistake. Verizon (going back further) was a nightmare with billing. I had to get the BBB involved, as the Left hand of VZW didn't want to deal with the right hand of VZW and pushed their issue on me. Sprint itself was a bit of a pain - especially migrating from Nextel to Sprint with a corp line. It took +4 hours, not including the fact that they 'lost' my number in the process. Is 'T-Mobile the best'.. that's subjective, and mostly based on specific factors. Does T-Mobile work the best 'for me'.... currently yes. Are they perfect. No - and no carrier is.
    Similar to Daisydoo... if I lived somewhere else (upstate NY/VT/NH, AK, UP of MI, northern WI) I'd probably be using a different carrier. Here in urban/suburban area, T-Mobile works as well as any other.. if not a little better in some areas, and costs a bit less.
    I agree. Reminds me, if I lived in the northeast I would probably have verizon as my daily driver so location makes a huge difference

When I'm in fl my personal favorite is att. Either way it will be nice to have 3 solid carriers

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    T-Mobile has certainly closed the coverage gap with the duopoly. .....
    Now that T-Mobile has claimed the #2 position, it begs the question, "Who is 'the duopoly?'"

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is #2 in subscriber count only, and only using their flawed methodology which undercounts AT&Ts subscribers.
    Even adding on AT&T's resellers, AT&T lead becomes 99.6 million to 98.3 million. Care to predict how long that leads hold now that T-Mobile is on level ground?

Clinging to claims of "flawed methodology" won't hold off T-Mobile for very long. It's clear that AT&T and their supporters are in complete panic mode at the moment now that the realities of the merger are finally sinking in.

but theyre still decades behind
    Decades? What nonsense.

Other than spectrum and subscribers, T-Mobile didnt really gain anything from the Sprint merger.
    They gained quite a bit. Once the integration is complete, they'll have lower fixed costs per subscriber, lower marketing costs per subscriber, lower retail costs per subscriber, etc. It's called an economy of scale. And with that better economy of scale, they can be more competitive with AT&T and Verizon. Even capital expenditures become less costly per subscriber. Then when you tack on the fact that the already have the largest 5G network and they have all of that Band 41 spectrum they are in a great position. But keep telling yourself they "didn't really gain anything" if it makes you fell better.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Humm, ~20yrs of building a network, vs 30-40yrs for Verizon/AT&T

And the fact that they went from maybe 1/4 the coverage to ~95% of outdoor coverage matching in just a few years. If what they’ve done in the last 5yrs or so is any indication... I’m betting it’ll be sooner than later.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That’s my point. Even with me traveling all over for work: I’m rarely ever rural for work, and where I am.. T-Mobile has even filled most if not all of it in, enough so i was fine dropping my postpaid AT$T and Verizon lines. It’s amazing how much they’ve filled in these last few years, and the pace they’ve done it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I, also travel all over the country for work (In fact, been in 12 different states already so far this month staying overnight and milling around said city I was in).. I’m typing this on a work trip, as I get ready to head to the airport soon.

T-Mobile is fine 99% of time, I actually cannot recall the last time I’ve had a “No Service” issue with T-Mobile.. Sure some slow LTE data at a few random gates at the airport.. but Verizon I’ve found is a far worse offender in that category thanks to being so spectrum constrained and having to install DAS/small cells to the point they create weak/dead spots in odd places.

And if you’ve never encountered a spot that AT&T had No Service, and T-Mobile has.. clearly your travels do not take you around the Midwest much, It happens.. and more than I’m sure AT&T’d like to admit. Even traveling around rurally in Ohio a few weeks ago, I had to use T-Mobile in a few spots AT&T could not figure out if they wanted to use weak 700MHz or HSPA on 850MHz.. both overloaded/weak to the point of being useless at the lake I was on.. T-Mobile? 600MHz “5G” Coverage getting 75Mbps no problem. It *does* happen.

Like I said, FirstNet rollout (publicly wasted tax dollars, btw) has really helped AT&T overall, but they’re nowhere near as good as your claiming. I just shitcanned them a week ago due to absolutely dysfunctional customer service.

FirstNet is nice, but DEALING with AT&T simply is not worth it. That company is so compartmentalized and they LOVE their outsourced reps that are not remotely trained in anything, It’s a wonder anything gets done over there at all.

T-Mobile has done quite an impressive amount of organic growth without the need for government money (AT&T) or buying a rural carrier (Verizon with Alltel). The sheer amount of coverage they’ve been able to organically add in such a short amount of time without one of those two things is quite impressive.
    It’s really not that impressive. All T-Mobile did was lease space on towers where Verizon and AT&T were already established. Being late puts T-Mobile at a disadvantage because they’re usually lower on the tower, which hurts coverage because of line of sight issues. T-Mobile also suffers from poor planning and engineering, and doesn’t have the best backhaul partners in a lot of areas. They also don’t have backup power on their sites. There are other obstacles which have blocked T-Mobile from expanding in certain areas. T-Mobile has focused more on adding coverage so they can say they have it, and not on the quality of coverage and covering areas well. There is a difference.

AT&T has areas where they struggle, and so does Verizon, but if T-Mobile has service, one of the big 2, and 99% of the time both of the big 2 will as well. Again, I said I have never been to an area where T-Mobile was the ONLY ONE who had service. T-Mobile is a discount carrier, and their consumer base is cost driven. T-Mobile may be “good enough” for a lot of people considering the cost, and I’m not knocking that, but claiming that T-Mobile is the best or on par with AT&T or Verizon in terms of the network is just not reality. All you have to do is look at coverage maps or third party test results and my point will be proven.

Customer service sucks for all of the carriers, so I consider that a wash.
    Last edited by DMac704; 08-15-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast