Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile says itís now the Nationís #2 Wireless Carrier

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    And we're watching the sun set on Verizon's CDMA with equatorial rapidity. So, the writing was on the wall. Verizon and AT&T seem to be loathe to open their VoLTE to roamers and AFAICT the FCC isn't making any moves to force them to do so.
    AT&T and Verizon are already required to sell roaming to other carriers. The only issue is what they can charge. T-Mobile and Sprint wanted the FCC to institute price controls on roaming. T-Mobile and Sprint were especially upset about the fact that AT&T and Verizon negotiate different prices for data and voice, typically charging MVNOs less that they charge T-Mobile and Sprint.

From the perspective of AT&T and Verizon, they spent a fortune building out coverage and acquiring rural carriers so why should they be required to enable their postpaid competitors that cheaped-out. If someone can get AT&T and Verizon coverage even on Sprint or T-Mobile, they'll opt for the lowest cost service. Selling bulk voice and data to an MVNO is a little different because few commercial customers are ever going to consider an MVNO, and many individual consumers won't consider an MVNO either.

From the perspective of Sprint and T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon gained an unfair advantage, long ago, due to their origins as the original cellular carriers that got the valuable 850 MHz spectrum and that rapidly built out their networks before all sorts of rule regarding placement of cells were adopted.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I am curious to see how T-Mobile and its Sprint customers deal with the 'new' T-Mobile. I suspect that most of Sprint customers that needed dependable rural service has long left Sprint, and its mostly urban.
    You may be correct about that. I don't think that I know a single Sprint subscriber anymore. The Sprint store in my town closed long before the merger with T-Mobile. I know several T-Mobile subscribers that keep T-Mobile because they want the included foreign low-speed data and SMS. But they complain about domestic coverage, and they also complain about how slow the data is when they are traveling outside the U.S.. I just buy a prepaid SIM card, often in advance, so I'll have service when I land in the foreign country and I get high-speed data, and use Google Voice for SMS and voice (long ago ported my "main" cell number to Google Voice).

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-mob...200100963.html

1,245,000 total net additions, best in industry

1,112,000 postpaid net additions, best in industry

253,000 postpaid phone net additions with postpaid phone churn of 0.80%

133,000 prepaid net additions with prepaid churn of 2.81%

98.3 million total customers at the end of Q2 2020, 2nd most in industry

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    They really need to work on those churn numbers. The postpaid churn is fine, only slightly worse than Verizon, but the prepaid churn is more than 2.5x the prepaid churn of Verizon. But T-Mobile reported a migration of users from prepaid to postpaid which is understandable. T-Mobile's prepaid offerings are now more expensive than their postpaid offerings. Much better to go the postpaid family plan route on T-Mobile.

Amťrica Můvil was the big winner in 2Q adding 214,000 prepaid users. What's odd is that many of Amťrica Můvil's brands are a terrible deal when compared to some of the prepaid offerings direct from carriers, especially for family plans. StraightTalk is especially bad, while Total Wireless is pretty good.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    You may be correct about that. I don't think that I know a single Sprint subscriber anymore. The Sprint store in my town closed long before the merger with T-Mobile. I know several T-Mobile subscribers that keep T-Mobile because they want the included foreign low-speed data and SMS. But they complain about domestic coverage, and they also complain about how slow the data is when they are traveling outside the U.S.. I just buy a prepaid SIM card, often in advance, so I'll have service when I land in the foreign country and I get high-speed data, and use Google Voice for SMS and voice (long ago ported my "main" cell number to Google Voice).
    I know of a few people that have (or had) Sprint service here in SoCal, back in 2018. Way up in the boonies of Camp Osito Rancho, near Big Bear Lake, CA. I had T-Mobile + work AT&T = 'No Service' on either. They had Sprint, which gave them roaming on Verizon in a few select spaces. I chose to live with slow data speeds/sms while out in Europe. It worked well enough for what I wanted, and Canada calling/roaming makes it a no brainer. I once had a week trip into Canada where I needed to have call/texting, and had to purchase a discounted voice/text add on, it still cost quite a bit. The following summer, AT&T still didn't have anything useful for Canada, and I was spending 2 weeks in Ontario/Quebec, while T-Mobile had their sms/data (slow)/calling added in, and the plan was cheaper than AT&T. I ported and didn't have any real issues. I have called out T-Mobile for its claims on service where listed as 'fair' and none exists many times (many posts). I 'could' port back to AT&T... but I don't currently see much of a benefit.
    Plan - 4 lines + free voice line = $140 after taxes. $142 if you include Netflix.
    AT&T's starter plan is at $35/line ~= $140 + taxes/fees. I possibly could get it lower through employer. I eventually plan to migrate my VoIP line to T-Mobile's free line that was given on 4th of July.
    I typically don't go far enough off the beaten path to deal with non-service areas much. I have been through many which 'could' use service, and if I lived/travelled there often enough, I'd use another carrier.

Right now - its the standard/typical 'wait and see' deal, of who gives me what, for how much, and what strings / caveats are there. Typically, T-Mobile has less fees/strings attached to their deals (ie. they don't care if I use 80GB in a month), while AT&T has in the past booted users. If T-Mobile starts to boot people from existing plans, then I might choose another carrier.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Do you think T-Mobile will eventually match Verizon and att on rural coverage?
    Maybe, maybe not; what I think they should do (since they do after all have nationwide licenses) is to build out enough coverage to get their roaming costs where they want them to be, and go ahead and roam otherwise; get a good rate with a local carrier if you can, suck it up and roam off AT&T or VZW otherwise. If the costs get high in some area, go ahead and pop up some native service there. You don't have to match or exceed VZW's coverage to compete with VZW on coverage; having no service is a problem, having a bit of roaming is not .

When I signed up for VZW, it was due to coverage. But not even Verizon's real coverage, coverage including roaming. They hadn't bought Alltel yet (so they had east coast coverage that extended west and stopped right about where I live in eastern Iowa; coverage extending east from California, a few native areas in the west bust mostly 1000s of miles of roaming.) I could go east to the east coast and have 100% native coverage, or northeast, but go north, south, west, nw, or sw, and roaming for 100s and 100s of miles. The coverage was good, it was no concern if it was "Verizon Wireless" or "Extended network" on there.

Edit: That said.. in my area, T-Mo already roams off US Cellular, adding VZW into the mix throughout the midwest would add very little coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In some rural areas, TMobile still has roaming, such as upstate NY, MI and probably VT, but not California. I suspect that it is probably due to cost and traffic. Upstate NY, MI probably don't see the same volume of traffic as say... Coastal California. Similarly, California is a regulatory /Nimby nightmare. While it is typically common in Cali to visit places like Big Bear, Leggett, and San Simeon for a road trip, I suspect that there are fewer NYC residents that will do a weekend road trip to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake. Those that do probably have a VZW or AT&T line.

What would be really interesting would be to know how many subscribers on each carrier in a specific city.
    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sente7 View Post
    Typical att or verizon lover trying to skirt the facts to make themselves feel better. Posting bogus articles that are pro duopoly.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is #1? Thatís amazing. In my area, I barely get any signal in my Visible ZTE phone. Sprint is strongest here, probably because we have a Sprint tower on top of our building.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know of a few people that have (or had) Sprint service here in SoCal, back in 2018. Way up in the boonies of Camp Osito Rancho, near Big Bear Lake, CA. I had T-Mobile + work AT&T = 'No Service' on either. They had Sprint, which gave them roaming on Verizon in a few select spaces. I chose to live with slow data speeds/sms while out in Europe. It worked well enough for what I wanted, and Canada calling/roaming makes it a no brainer.
    Last year in Europe I bought prepaid SIM cards. The high-speed data was very useful for navigation and for public transit. On one business trip I was with a group of people and the ones with T-Mobile were pretty miserable trying to do anything needing 3G or greater speeds. I would set up as a hot spot and occasionally let them use my high-speed data, but I was only getting 500MB/day which was enough for me, but not enough for everyone to share.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In some rural areas, TMobile still has roaming, such as upstate NY, MI and probably VT, but not California. I suspect that it is probably due to cost and traffic. Upstate NY, MI probably don't see the same volume of traffic as say... Coastal California. Similarly, California is a regulatory /Nimby nightmare. While it is typically common in Cali to visit places like Big Bear, Leggett, and San Simeon for a road trip, I suspect that there are fewer NYC residents that will do a weekend road trip to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake. Those that do probably have a VZW or AT&T line.

What would be really interesting would be to know how many subscribers on each carrier in a specific city.
    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    T-Mobile still has at least a little roaming in California. Not on AT&T or Verizon that I know of, but when I had T-Mobile I was in Death Valley and there is a small rural carrier that all the carriers roam on (I doubt if the MVNOs can roam though). The carrier is "Choice Wireless." See the map at https://www.cellularmaps.com/regiona...wireless.shtml .

Like many rural carriers, Choice is CDMA+LTE. Presumably the roaming is all LTE unless they also put up some GSM service. They really went overboard with "bucket fill" on their roaming map.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .....The high-speed data was very useful for navigation and for public transit. .....
    You can do a lot with slow data if you download offline maps.

...I was in Death Valley and there is a small rural carrier that all the carriers roam on (I doubt if the MVNOs can roam though). The carrier is "Choice Wireless." .....
    "Choice" is the retail face of Commnet. Yes, they do have coverage in Death Valley.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

T-Mobile says itís now the Nationís #2 Wireless Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Verizon is #1? Thatís amazing. In my area, I barely get any signal in my Visible ZTE phone. Sprint is strongest here, probably because we have a Sprint tower on top of our building.
    Your area doesnít dictate overall coverage across the entire country. To answer your question though yes they still have the best coverage with AT&T a very close second.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Wow. If you never leave your building, you can attest that Sprint has the best nationwide coverage of any cellular carrier...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I recall having to use Commnet when I went through New Mexico years ago on AT&T Wireless. Back in ~2005, AT&T Wireless had weak service in Albuquerque, and hit/miss most of the way to Santa Fe, and roamed on Commnet. The really weird thing back then was that T-Mobile had service in town, but At&t Wireless service started outside the city. Going north to Taos, it was all roaming.
    Of course... a decade plus, and both have good service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Wow. If you never leave your building, you can attest that Sprint has the best nationwide coverage of any cellular carrier...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I mean my experience with Verizon is why they may always have a few bars, the QUALITY of the LTE network is generally lacking.

The speeds are all over the place, I encounter congestion with the Verizon SIM way more often than I do others, and for what they charge.. oof

They've gotten better with the small cells, but they are seriously spectrum constrained and the performance I get shows it.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more ďruralĒ areas)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast