Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile says itís now the Nationís #2 Wireless Carrier

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    And now people will understand part of why AT&T and Verizon opposed this merger. .....
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    When did AT&T or Verizon ever publicly oppose this merger?.....
    What @jakeuten said. They may have opposed it through proxies (e.g. CWA) but not directly, so far as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    I feel T-Mobile doesnít have the coverage capacity in place to actually be #2.
    They have quite a bit to go on their rural coverage but seem to have their hands full buffing their urban capacity to accommodate the added load.

Every Sprint and T-Mobile customer I know (Including TMO myself) has seen cell service go rapidly downhill since the merger
    Seems same-o same-o around here.

They should of let TMO customers roam on Sprint towers as well instead of just just letting Sprint customers roam on already overloaded TMO towers
    Since Sprint didn't have VoLTE throughout their network, this wouldn't have worked. Besides, the Sprint network's days are numbered. Seems like a waste of time and effort, to me. Just put the effort into upgrading T-Mobile's network ASAP.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile says itís now the Nationís #2 Wireless Carrier

I knew T-Mobile would take the number two spot but not this quick. Funny watching the att lovers panicking over there beloved carrier sliding in to number three spot.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    With every large Corp/business that I've been at...this has been the case.
    Since Sprint didn't have VoLTE throughout their network, this wouldn't have worked. Besides, the Sprint network's days are numbered. Seems like a waste of time and effort, to me. Just put the effort into upgrading T-Mobile's network ASAP.
    Businesses want to move on, and this would be a project. Some parts like increase backhaul would have already been started, as is the roaming on other network. The remaining is to add new gear to TMobile and shut down existing Sprint. Some of that may depend on tower agreements, bylaw/regulations and getting companies to work (can be a limiting factor)

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    I knew T-Mobile would take the number two spot but not this quick. Funny watching the att lovers panicking over there beloved carrier sliding in to number three spot.
    Personally... I think competition like this is good. I just don't want to see TMobile raise their prices to go with their new position.

Feedback Score
    Do you think T-Mobile will eventually match Verizon and att on rural coverage?
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Personally... I think competition like this is good. I just don't want to see TMobile raise their prices to go with their new position.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It is possible. Just not in the near term. E.g. small community of Cambria, TMobile has 1 b4 LTE/b2 hspa+ site in town, and one south of town b4/12/71 LTE. VZW and AT&T are also on those sites. On the west side of town, AT&T has a site near PCH. VZW has one 1/4 further up. TMobile is SOS only. Near the beach, VZW has another one on a motel roof. AT&T still has service as it uses B5, TMobile is SOS unless you go into the ocean and can see San Simeon/Hearst Castle.
    Park Hill is weak on AT&T band 5, but VZW has a metrocell. On the south part of town near the ocean, TMobile is mostly SOS. Verizon has service because it has another metrocell there, and its macro is on a tall tower (visible from there), while TMobile/AT&Ts do not clear the hill. AT&T did build its sites in a decent enough location so that I do get service outdoors.

TMobile is attempting to rely on macro sites a few miles away. This has typically been their strategy in rural areas. It is really up to them, if they want things like government contracts, driverless tech to have usable serivce.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    As was my concern before the merger my concern still is the MVNOs. I'm convinced within 5 years almost all MVNOs will be gone or will not be competitive on pricing.

It'll just be Cricket, Metro, Visible & the big 3 prepaid namesakes all wholly owned by the big 3 so not MVNOs.

The only remaining MVNOs will be the Tracfone companies & whatever we'll call Dish if by then if they don't have their own network.
    No doubt this could occur if pricing is ď competitive ď - no need to go elsewhere.

A lot of prepaid users either want the lowest price because thatís what is in their budget, or because they enjoy playing the savings game.

I think you are correct that Tracfone companies will thrive due to momentum & variety.......and pricing.

The big guys must be willing to sell cell tower time , and just simply not be interested in capturing the low cost customers.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sente7 View Post
    Like most typical sales banners... they all come with a "*" at the end. "Fastest", "Largest", of course "Best" all have to have a disclaimer. This one was "
    ďin total branded customers across both postpaid and prepaid.Ē
    Which doesn't include Reseller MVNO (which would put AT&T 'slightly' ahead of T-Mobile, and IoT/Connected devices of ~70 million, which puts them a good distance ahead.

Being slightly ahead of AT&T on 'branded prepaid/postpaid' is a big deal...but doesn't necessarily make then #2 as a company. Who knows, T-Mobile may continue its prepaid/postpaid increases for some time.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    [[email protected];17143340]Attachment 166480
    T-Mobile used its quarterly earnings report to announce that it has leapfrogged AT&T and is now the nationís No. 2 wireless provider following its blockbuster $26.5 billion merger with Sprint that closed April 1.

The Bellevue, Wash.-based company added 1.25 million subscribers in the second quarter ending June 30. T-Mobile now has 98.3 million customers with the addition of Sprint subscribers, ranking second in the U.S. behind Verizon. Thatís up from 68.5 million customers at end of Q1.

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/t-mobi...r-passing-att/

/QUOTE]

What's going to be interesting to see is how many of the former Sprint customers that T-Mobile can retain.

One big advantage Sprint had over T-Mobile was total coverage because they were paying Verizon a fortune for roaming in areas where Sprint had no native network. In many of those Verizon areas T-Mobile does not have any native or roaming coverage at all. Many Sprint customers won't care because they don't ever travel to those areas, but many will be very upset to find that they no longer have coverage.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is possible. Just not in the near term. E.g. small community of Cambria, TMobile has 1 b4 LTE/b2 hspa+ site in town, and one south of town b4/12/71 LTE. VZW and AT&T are also on those sites. On the west side of town, AT&T has a site near PCH. VZW has one 1/4 further up. TMobile is SOS only. Near the beach, VZW has another one on a motel roof. AT&T still has service as it uses B5, TMobile is SOS unless you go into the ocean and can see San Simeon/Hearst Castle.
    Park Hill is weak on AT&T band 5, but VZW has a metrocell. On the south part of town near the ocean, TMobile is mostly SOS. Verizon has service because it has another metrocell there, and its macro is on a tall tower (visible from there), while TMobile/AT&Ts do not clear the hill. AT&T did build its sites in a decent enough location so that I do get service outdoors.

TMobile is attempting to rely on macro sites a few miles away. This has typically been their strategy in rural areas. It is really up to them, if they want things like government contracts, driverless tech to have usable serivce.

If you look at the Sprint coverage map it's pretty amazing how much coverage they have where T-Mobile has no coverage. But that's the Sprint postpaid map which includes Verizon CDMA and LTE coverage. Can't imagine T-Mobile be willing to continue paying out those roaming fees to Verizon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    If you look at the Sprint coverage map it's pretty amazing how much coverage they have where T-Mobile has no coverage. But that's the Sprint postpaid map which includes Verizon CDMA and LTE coverage. Can't imagine T-Mobile be willing to continue paying out those roaming fees to Verizon.
    I agree. If I'm not mistaken, Verizon roaming coverage was 1x voice, and LTE data was AT&T (kinda weird setup).
    I had mentioned this before ... even to T-Mobile in some of my calls (complaints) to T-Mobile over their 'verified coverage' maps, which claimed service where none existed. Many Sprint customers (i.e. those that wanted the benefit of lower cost service with the overall coverage (at least voice/text and possibly 'some' data) such as contractors/government/corporate consumers, and the average customer ... looking for a best of both worlds - they will be more than disappointed with the loss of rural roaming, or more precisely... the coverage that T-Mobile provides.

I've mentioned this before... If I was a contractor, or relied on my device for 'some form' of rural service (besides 911), I would most likely be using another carrier. I used AT&T for many years. Back when it was AT&T Wireless (and coverage sucked on GSM, and used a dual mode (not true GAIT) GSM/TDMA phone), it was the best deal I got... and it worked for what I needed.... $19.99/month, nationwide calling, free inbound text, 'nationwide' (lol) service, and for $5... I could use my service in Canada without roaming or long distance fees. Eventually, they got too expensive for what I needed (even with corp FAN of 28% discount!), and T-Mobile included Canada roaming in their bundle, along with 'No overages', and burdened with fees/taxes. Legere found a sore point here with consumers... the $x/month balooned with fees/charges/overages, and almost necessary add-ons.

I am curious to see how T-Mobile and its Sprint customers deal with the 'new' T-Mobile. I suspect that most of Sprint customers that needed dependable rural service has long left Sprint, and its mostly urban.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I agree. If I'm not mistaken, Verizon roaming coverage was 1x voice, and LTE data was AT&T (kinda weird setup).....
    And we're watching the sun set on Verizon's CDMA with equatorial rapidity. So, the writing was on the wall. Verizon and AT&T seem to be loathe to open their VoLTE to roamers and AFAICT the FCC isn't making any moves to force them to do so.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    When did AT&T or Verizon ever publicly oppose this merger?

AT&T and Verizon still have a sizable network quality lead over T-Mobile in rural areas. Now, because T-Mobile no longer has to give away free lines to get subs, AT&T and Verizon can charge more for their service. I doubt investors are too pressed about the merger. Just higher margins from AT&T and Verizon which means more money in their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It was surprising to some that AT&T and Verizon didn't oppose the merger but it made sense. Sprint was engaged in what is called "desperation pricing," including giving the product away for free. It was bad for all of the other carriers. Eliminating a desperate competitor will allow prices to rise.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    I feel T-Mobile doesnít have the coverage capacity in place to actually be #2

These rural/urban TMO cell sites that still have just 1900Mhz LTE arenít going to cut it when the nextdoor Sprint sites have 800/1900/2500 Mhz LTE

Every Sprint and T-Mobile customer I know (Including TMO myself) has seen cell service go rapidly downhill since the merger

They should of let TMO customers roam on Sprint towers as well instead of just just letting Sprint customers roam on already overloaded TMO towers

I really feel for the Sprint customers (And I know a few) who transferred over from Sprint to TMO and went from somewhat good coverage to horrible congestion

This merger is going to be a lot worse I feel than the Metro-TMO merger years back
    Sprint had great rural coverage, despite their very small native network, because of the huge amount Verizon roaming (both CDMA and LTE). In many of those rural areas you have only AT&T and Verizon towers. Will the Verizon roaming continue for Sprint customers or will they now have "no coverage?" Probably the latter since that roaming cost Sprint a lot of money; better to just write-off those pesky subscribers that care about coverage, which has long been T-Mobile's strategy. The Sprint subscribers that stay will gain things that offset the coverage loss, like T-Mobile Tuesdays, and basic Netflix.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast