Thread: 5G NR Field Test Article

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

5G NR Field Test Article

https://www.lightreading.com/test-an...d/d-id/762990?

What kind of results are you seeing? Is there really up to a 30% increase in coverage? I find that number a little far fetched.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilvertab View Post
    Is there really up to a 30% increase in coverage? I find that number a little far fetched.
    There are areas that are only covered by 600 MHz. Because non-stand alone requires another LTE band along with the 5G, those 600 MHz couldn't previously have 5G. With stand alone, those areas can get 5G. That should account for the 30% increase in 5G coverage.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Basically in a nutshell... 5g NSA requires (for TMobile) band 2 or band 4 as the base, and its easy to say that n71 gives 30% more coverage than b2 or b4. Similarly if I had my phone on b71, I should get similar coverage. Since 5g NSA requires b4/b2 and probably less than 20% of sites have b71/n71, actual use of 5g nr can be much higher on sa than nsa due to 4g handoffs vs 5g handoffs

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Basically in a nutshell... 5g NSA requires (for TMobile) band 2 or band 4 as the base, and its easy to say that n71 gives 30% more coverage than b2 or b4. Similarly if I had my phone on b71, I should get similar coverage. Since 5g NSA requires b4/b2 and probably less than 20% of sites have b71/n71, actual use of 5g nr can be much higher on sa than nsa due to 4g handoffs vs 5g handoffs

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    We should compare how the signal of band 71 and n71 compare with each other. Similar to how we compared wcdma to lte.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    We should compare how the signal of band 71 and n71 compare with each other. Similar to how we compared wcdma to lte.

In general... I don't suspect that n71 will be much different than b71 for range (esp in rural areas). I can state that the few B71/n71 sites that are up in my area - when forced to B71 only have a good range, slightly better than when B12 only was here (possibly due to newer panels/gear/handsets as well).
    The difference between 5G SA and 5G NSA will be currently 'range' of having actual 5G NR connection.
    Here's a 'local' bit of coverage. Cellmapper doesn't quite accurately catch many of the local metrocells in the north 1/2 of the city. The ones in magenta are the B71/n71. Ones in white are phantom/false sites (or rebuilt).
    For the most part, I can cover much of the city 'outdoors' on B71 LTE... n71 should be similar. Currently, I'd probably have a bit better performance on 5G NSA, as the majority of times that I have been in areas of B71... it is never used, unless I force it. With a 5G NSA phone, it would be connected, and for the vast majority (other +25 sites), I'd see no difference. With 5G SA, I would expect to be falling back to NSA .. often, as the article did due to lack of n71/n41 deployment. I suspect with time, as with AT&T's 5G as well, it will become all 'stand alone'. This was one of the things that kept me from wanting a '5G' phone.
    "The S20 Ultra would frequently fall back to non-standalone mode," he said. "The phone is not staying in standalone mode."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Forgot the image...Name:  tmo5gn71.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  54.3 KB

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Forgot the image...Name:  tmo5gn71.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  54.3 KB
    That can't be enough b71 to get blanket coverage though. They need to put it on every site for indoor coverage. SA 5G must be in and out constantly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Using LTE B71, outdoors, its mostly 'in'. Most of T-Mobile's B71 sites are large macros which cover quite a large area, and similarly, there's a huge amount of overlap here (which isn't bad). I can typically get 'indoor' overlap of a secondary site on B2 and B12 and even B71. The interesting thing is that I can actually hit 3 sites (all weak) on B71 indoors... because none are dominant nearby. I will get only ~3Mbps on B71 indoors.
    I will agree that this is NOWHERE near blanket coverage, even if the terrain helps, and being that there are only a handful of sites with ~10-15MHz of NR 71, it may get saturated in the busy locations. In some areas... Having it will help. E.g. airport, city core areas
    Last edited by formercanuck; 08-09-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    In the article, he comments on how his phone spent most of it's time on 5G NSA (Non StandAlone) mode. Makes sense, for right now at least there's far more 4G upstream than 5G upstream so using NSA probably gives better speeds when bands 4 and 2 are in range.

When VZW started rolling out 4G here, they flipped it on rather abruptly (ahead of schedule, I suppose the equipment was installed but not tuned yet; there was flooding here that even flooded out cable and DSL service for some areas, they got an agreement for several hundred aircards if they could flip on their 4G immediately). My phone flipped between 4G and 3G pretty frequently, when 4G speeds dipped below 3G speeds the phone would usually get kicked down to 3G automatically, and flip back up to 4G when I had a better signal or the usage dropped off enough or whatever.

I'd see the 5G SA versus NSA as similar, it can switch to whichever will give the best performance.