Thread: Tax on prepaid

Device(s)
    Samsung Xcover Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Tax on prepaid

Good morning all,

Recently switched to Tmobile Prepaid from Google Fi and have a question about the refill cards. When I switched, it was a P.I.T.A, and ended up having to pay with my debit card. The tax was applied and my plan started. Having already purchased refill cards, I added those to my account. My intention going forward, is to solely use refill cards. Since sales tax is paid on refills at the point of sale, does the plan take my fee without tax applied?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by river.guy View Post
    Good morning all,

Recently switched to Tmobile Prepaid from Google Fi and have a question about the refill cards. When I switched, it was a P.I.T.A, and ended up having to pay with my debit card. The tax was applied and my plan started. Having already purchased refill cards, I added those to my account. My intention going forward, is to solely use refill cards. Since sales tax is paid on refills at the point of sale, does the plan take my fee without tax applied?
    Taxes will not be charged to a refill card balance. I try to buy refill cards from Target.com when there is a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Xcover Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by overlock View Post
    Taxes will not be charged to a refill card balance. I try to buy refill cards from Target.com when there is a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be double dipped on taxes. Doing further research, buying from Target seems like a great way to purchase all future refills. I found other threads saying that states like CA, OR and NH do not charge taxes on refills. When CA is set as my store preference, no taxes were added. With $5 off all airtime over $50, I think this is a very cost effective solution. Makes both lines on my plan a flat $32.50 ea, with no taxes or autopay B.S!

Feedback Score
    For those who expense things to a corporate regime, Target's confirmation emails are solid traditional receipts.
    It was always dicey what kind of receipt I'd get when shopping at some random online provider of refills.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by river.guy View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be double dipped on taxes. Doing further research, buying from Target seems like a great way to purchase all future refills. I found other threads saying that states like CA, OR and NH do not charge taxes on refills. When CA is set as my store preference, no taxes were added. With $5 off all airtime over $50, I think this is a very cost effective solution. Makes both lines on my plan a flat $32.50 ea, with no taxes or autopay B.S!
    Target.com refills across the board are sales tax free. Kroger (online) is variable by state but I'm pretty sure CA has been taxless since 2019.