Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T‑Mobile Launches Worlds First Nationwide Standalone 5G Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    For many in urban areas, 5G SA may be a boost as LTE in some markets may be heavily used. In less capacity stricken areas, there's not much incentive. . same with rural areas.
    With n71/n41, capacity will be quite high. It will be the coverage that may take a bit. As long as devices handle 4g LTE / 5g sa decently, it should be good. I'm not in need for a new device, and the LG g7 works well on LTE with all the bands. No need to chase this . there will always be new devices, and the n71/n41 buildout has a ways to go.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    I got a good deal on this OP 8, so i grabbed it. otherwise, i'm fine where I am.

I can say though the 600MHz chunk of 5G *right now* before it's hammered in the fall has helped a ton around airports. When i'm stuck sitting on ground time between flights, i've been getting ~100-150Mbps pretty steadily, whereas on LTE.. i can be anywhere from ~0.2-20Mbps on a regular. I am enjoying that currently - again until all those other phones hit this and take what capacity it's got haha
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more rural areas)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Right - in many urban markets - where the network is saturated... 5G NSA or SA will help a lot. In suburbia, or rural places, not so much. It won't hurt any. Eg. In rural Cambria, where there is literally only 1 cell site in town, on B4 20x20. I can pull 140Mbps all day and night, and get SINR of 30. Similarly, when I'm out by the beach, where its B4 from 10 miles away (measured on google), SINR is still ~17 with RSRP ~-113dBm, and I can pull +50Mbps. Walk behind a tree and I drop service.
    In suburbia, I still am pulling typically 80-120Mbps from a nearby cell indoors.
    For those in urban markets .. this can help out, and will probably be more necessary as time goes by.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any info on firmware updates for 5g SA? I have an unlocked S20 Ultra, I've received monthly updates to it, sometimes even early. But here we are half way through August, and still no August update, while S20 users on other networks received theirs two weeks ago. I've been looking forward to it, as this is the update that is supposed to enable 5g SA. I've seen some posts on Reddit that suggest that the updates have been pulled, because some people can't even make calls on 5g SA networks after the update. Not just on Samsung, but OnePlus phones as well. But it seems strange I haven't seen any mention of that here.

Device(s)
    Note20U, Pixel4XL, Axon 10P, Atom, MoFi, i8(work), etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, Tmo, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but ... I just got the unlocked Note 20 Ultra. Its on the August update. No 5g SA.

I'm also surprised noone had written about this. Yours is the first.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dscline View Post
    Does anyone have any info on firmware updates for 5g SA? I have an unlocked S20 Ultra, I've received monthly updates to it, sometimes even early. But here we are half way through August, and still no August update, while S20 users on other networks received theirs two weeks ago. I've been looking forward to it, as this is the update that is supposed to enable 5g SA. I've seen some posts on Reddit that suggest that the updates have been pulled, because some people can't even make calls on 5g SA networks after the update. Not just on Samsung, but OnePlus phones as well. But it seems strange I haven't seen any mention of that here.

I have the One Plus 8 5G and i got the 5G SA update over a week ago. No problems with my phone since. I did a speedtest in a local park recently and got 100 megabit download speed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    No phones and devices in the market which supports 5G SA yet...
    My One Plus 8 5G recently got the SA software update. I got around 100 megabit download recently at a local park.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    My One Plus 8 5G recently got the SA software update. I got around 100 megabit download recently at a local park.
    It is good new to get OTA update.
    But the 5G speed sucks.
    My LTE is around 200Mbps

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dscline View Post
    I have a T-Mobile branded S20 ultra. I received my update for SA today. I have 71 SA and 41SA. It looks like the One U.I. update is rolling out to branded devices.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/08/t-mo...ui-2-5-update/

I think Samsung has to handle the updates to unlocked devices. That's one of the reason I've learned to get the branded device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But the 5G speed sucks.
    My LTE is around 200Mbps

That's one of the reasons why I don't have any real interest in 5G right now. Most places on LTE for me is 100-250Mbps.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    But the 5G speed sucks.
    My LTE is around 200Mbps

"sucks" is relative. 10+Mbps I notice no difference on my day to day activities.

In a place like Chicago where most buildings are 100+yrs old, having that ~50Mbps in basements is super nice, and something AT&T still struggles with, but T-Mobile's "new" network handles with ease.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    "sucks" is relative. 10+Mbps I notice no difference on my day to day activities.

In a place like Chicago where most buildings are 100+yrs old, having that ~50Mbps in basements is super nice, and something AT&T still struggles with, but T-Mobile's "new" network handles with ease.
    Its all location... location... location. I'm sure that the urban bits of LA are probably somewhat similar for capacity. The busier the area (more saturaturated LTE), the better off 5G will be for you. Suburbia where I am is quite decent. If when I move out of the highly taxed/regulated California, I may want something different.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Its all location... location... location. I'm sure that the urban bits of LA are probably somewhat similar for capacity. The busier the area (more saturaturated LTE), the better off 5G will be for you. Suburbia where I am is quite decent. If when I move out of the highly taxed/regulated California, I may want something different.
    Well, I'm talking in the bowels of buildings where T-Mobile usually is considered a non-starter.

LA is a different story, as y'all have the OG pac-bell network which was always a superb PCS network to begin with.. the rest of us aren't nearly as lucky

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well, I'm talking in the bowels of buildings where T-Mobile usually is considered a non-starter.

LA is a different story, as y'all have the OG pac-bell network which was always a superb PCS network to begin with.. the rest of us aren't nearly as lucky
    This is true. I have been to a few other states, where coverage on T-Mobile was not nearly as good indoors. Boston wasn't bad when I was there, and neither was NYC ... but then again, I was only in a limited area of both. I know that Chicago's Midway airport was not that great on T-Mobile for capacity a couple years back. DTW-> MID -> LAX. DTW terminal had DAS and ~200Mbps. MID ~ 1-2Mbps. LAX 1-10Mbps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    This is true. I have been to a few other states, where coverage on T-Mobile was not nearly as good indoors. Boston wasn't bad when I was there, and neither was NYC ... but then again, I was only in a limited area of both. I know that Chicago's Midway airport was not that great on T-Mobile for capacity a couple years back. DTW-> MID -> LAX. DTW terminal had DAS and ~200Mbps. MID ~ 1-2Mbps. LAX 1-10Mbps.
    MDW is much better now that T-Mobile is actually on the DAS. Verizon had exclusive on it for quite some time, but now it seems open to all carriers. Same with ORD.

T-Mobile has densified greatly (even a year ago, i had congestion issues around Chicago), but the 600MHz really helps indoors where the best of PCS/AWS will still struggle for sure, and with these 120yr old buildings that act as faraday cages from the plaster/brick/steel building materials.. cellular needs all the help it can get.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is on fire. 5G deployments have been very impressive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3