Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T‑Mobile Launches Worlds First Nationwide Standalone 5G Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Verhouzen View Post
    This is unusually high for my 4g but these were taken within 2 minutes of each other. Attachment 166478Attachment 166479
    it does not look better than I am on LTE only
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobil
    Feedback Score
    Obviously all 4g is not created equal. Yours is really fast. I've never seen anything even close to that.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes. At least I believe that's what I have. It's not 2.5. I've gotten a high as 195 down on 5g and a max of 95 down in 4g. This is a generalization. I usually test both and 5g has typically been twice as fast. I have 5g nr.
    Here in LA area, I have hit 300Mbps on LTE , and many areas are better than 200Mbps. Of course, LA proper has more traffic than the burbs of Santa Clarita

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    LTE b4/2/12 no 5g.
    The only reason that TMobile can claim 30% more coverage on 5g SA (n71) is that it doesn't require B4 or B2 as the base. Range would be the same as if I set my phone to B71 only Name:  Capture%2B_2020-08-07-20-05-28.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  27.0 KB

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobil
    Feedback Score
    Wondering why I don't get those kind of speeds. Where are you located?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Santa Clarita. The San Fernando Valley and LA in general are typically slower in most places that I've been to.

Feedback Score
    The 5g I am getting in Los Angeles is twice as fast as 4g. I do not have mid band here yet.
    T-Mo put more of their 600 MHz spectrum on 5G than LTE. In my area 10x10 MHz 5G, 5x5 MHz LTE. 5G being faster is no surprise. That's nice for those who want to buy a 5G phone now.

T-Mo is building a 5G network for the future without much interim LTE improvement. What we get now just a few months into their network build doesn't mean much.

Feedback Score
    I think tmobiles plan is good and will get them there but will take time and especially time for customers to really see the benefits
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    T-Mo put more of their 600 MHz spectrum on 5G than LTE. In my area 10x10 MHz 5G, 5x5 MHz LTE. 5G being faster is no surprise. That's nice for those who want to buy a 5G phone now.

T-Mo is building a 5G network for the future without much interim LTE improvement. What we get now just a few months into their network build doesn't mean much.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

This basically means... 4G LTE is not going to improve much beyond improving backhaul or refarming WCDMA and GSM. If there are 'new' towers being built, it will have 5G as well, and long term... frequencies will be refarmed for the 'layer cake' 5G NR. Those with 5G currently will have improvements with 4G and 5G spectrum (NSA). Those with 5G SA.. may not see any real improvement, unless they're in an area where 4G is already at capacity (eg. Fillmore, CA). Was there on Friday. 4G B2 (15x15), B4 (20x20) + B12 (5x5) gave a whopping 1.5-3Mbps of download. B71 alone (10x10) gave 9Mbps.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    This basically means... 4G LTE is not going to improve much beyond improving backhaul or refarming WCDMA and GSM. If there are 'new' towers being built, it will have 5G as well, and long term... frequencies will be refarmed for the 'layer cake' 5G NR. Those with 5G currently will have improvements with 4G and 5G spectrum (NSA). Those with 5G SA.. may not see any real improvement, unless they're in an area where 4G is already at capacity (eg. Fillmore, CA). Was there on Friday. 4G B2 (15x15), B4 (20x20) + B12 (5x5) gave a whopping 1.5-3Mbps of download. B71 alone (10x10) gave 9Mbps.
    I wonder is SA 5G can aggregate with lte on secondary. That'd be mint.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would actually 'hope' so, as in many places, 5G would be slower than 4G LTE otherwise ... especially until 5g n41 is deployed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Well, yes and no.

the iPhones having 5G, midrange phones being 5G, etc.. as people upgrade over the next 1-2yrs, more usage will be shifted from LTE -> 5G, in theory clearing up space on LTE.

I was going to sell my 11 Pro Max while it was still "worth" 4 digits and swap to the new one.. but I remember the 3G -> LTE transition well. LTE worked amazing on the small spectrum it was on, but that first year was hell having to consistently force myself down to HSPA to get "usable" data during peak time, and most of the time HSPA became more "consistent" and even faster thanks to the load shifting around.

I'm going to hang onto my LTE phone a bit longer, and swap my primary device in a year or so once voice is fully working on 5G as well.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more rural areas)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well, yes and no.

the iPhones having 5G, midrange phones being 5G, etc.. as people upgrade over the next 1-2yrs, more usage will be shifted from LTE -> 5G, in theory clearing up space on LTE.

I was going to sell my 11 Pro Max while it was still "worth" 4 digits and swap to the new one.. but I remember the 3G -> LTE transition well. LTE worked amazing on the small spectrum it was on, but that first year was hell having to consistently force myself down to HSPA to get "usable" data during peak time, and most of the time HSPA became more "consistent" and even faster thanks to the load shifting around.

I'm going to hang onto my LTE phone a bit longer, and swap my primary device in a year or so once voice is fully working on 5G as well.
    Basically, the iPhone does not have 5G for awhile when many other phones with 5G.

Sent from my huawei hma-al00 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Basically, the iPhone does not have 5G for awhile when many other phones with 5G.

Sent from my huawei hma-al00 using Tapatalk
    what? I'm sure there was a cohesive thought there.. but it was not typed out as such. I'm sure it was a jab at the iPhone?

The thing is.. the iPhone will be what makes/breaks the 5G launch. Samsung users are already used to being guinea pigs (and shoddy software), and I'm betting there's not nearly as many S20's on the network as iPhones that's why it matters.

I have a OnePlus to play with the 5G rollout, but it's nowhere near ready yet for a full load... and while I appreciate how fast T-Mobile is working on refarming 2.5GHz, they've still got A LOT of work to do.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For many in urban areas, 5G SA may be a boost as LTE in some markets may be heavily used. In less capacity stricken areas, there's not much incentive. . same with rural areas.
    With n71/n41, capacity will be quite high. It will be the coverage that may take a bit. As long as devices handle 4g LTE / 5g sa decently, it should be good. I'm not in need for a new device, and the LG g7 works well on LTE with all the bands. No need to chase this . there will always be new devices, and the n71/n41 buildout has a ways to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast