Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

H in the phone notifications when on a call

When I turn wifi off I see LTE.

Name:  LTE.png
Views: 135
Size:  27.5 KB

When I turn wifi off and make a call I get H.

Name:  small H.png
Views: 123
Size:  42.0 KB

Does this mean my phone (Moto E4) does not allow VoLTE?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    It does mean that VOLTE is not working.

The good news is you still have a data connection durring the call. H is HSPA which is advanced 3G (what AT&T called "4G" before LTE started).

It is still possible that it is supported by the phone but some setting needs to be tweaked.

What is the carrier?

Feedback Score
    Which model E4 ? (Factory unlocked or carrier model?)

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    What is the carrier?
    Factory unlocked E4 with H2O. And here's another things that puzzles me. I entered the correct values for APN settings for H2O (PRODATA) and then got the provisioning updates, installed them, and now I have PureRESELLER, whatever that is.

Name:  E4 APN settings.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  24.9 KB
    Last edited by Relztrah; 08-04-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Feedback Score
    It’s not the phone. AT&T Blocks VoLTE on most unlocked android devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Volte/wifi calling is a convoluted mess on non att phones.

1 Volte needs to be enabled at account level
    If it's not an att phone this can possibly be done in two ways
    1) Insert sim into a compliant att phone and hope accounts gets volte/wifi calling provisioned
    2) Contact customer service and have them add an imei from a real att phone, also confirm volte is enabled on the account

2 device needs to support volte.
    On some devices (samsung), flashing att firmware enables volte support. I'm not sure how motorolas work given they are generally universal/unlocked. There may be carrier branded firmware available too.

Both conditions above need to be true for volte to work.

With my oneplus 7t I just had to do step 1 (with imei entered by customer service) on cricket. With the tmo s7 edge, it had to be flashed with att firmware to work.

Btw in post #4, the bottom 3 apn's appear to reference the same apn, just have different titles.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Volte/wifi calling is a convoluted mess on non att phones.
    You could have stopped typing after "is a convoluted mess" and wouldn't have been too far from the truth.

Btw in post #4, the bottom 3 apn's appear to reference the same apn, just have different titles.
    It's also possible that they're the same APN but have "APN type" set to different values...perhaps "PureRESELLERMMS" has "APN type" *only* set to "mms" for example. Not sure why it would've been set up that way, but meh. It's been a while since I played with this so I may be wrong here, but I'm *pretty* sure you can have multiple APNs defined and have the phone actually use more than one of them, each for different things. It's just that whichever one has the radio button set on it is the APN used for bringing up the default bearer (and, of course, has to have at least "default" included in the list of "APN types"). But there's no real reason to not just combine them all into one entry (e.g., APN type of "default,mms") if the carrier provides both services (general internet connectivity and MMS services) over the same APN.

What is unclear to me is how the phone decides which APN to use for secondary services if more than one defined APN has the same "APN type" (like, say, you have more than one non-default APN set to "APN type" of "mms").

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^We're all fighting our own battles with cell providers. My battle today was having red pocket re-enable CCF on GSMA. They enabled it but had it set to their own voicemail. Next was to get 'em to set it to the gv # I want. On cricket I can do it direct from the phone, but RP seems to block that.

Next was trying to understand why gv when used for vm only, only answers a forwarded call immediately if the forwarding checkbox is checked for that linked cell phone. Otherwise there's a 25 sec delay before gv vm picks up. I ended up just enabling DND on that gv account - we get spam calls on that gv # occasionally, and rather not have the cell ring for any inbound calls on that gv #.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    ^^We're all fighting our own battles with cell providers. My battle today was having red pocket re-enable CCF on GSMA. They enabled it but had it set to their own voicemail. Next was to get 'em to set it to the gv # I want. On cricket I can do it direct from the phone, but RP seems to block that.
    Oh man. I'm in the thick of a CCF-on-ATT-MVNOs battle myself. I have heard that after some date in the recent past (when?), basically all new prepaid ATT network account activations do not have CCF, supposedly for "security reasons" (why? who said?), and the MMIs used to set them are blocked on those accounts. Old prepaid accounts are grandfathered. MAYBE it's possible for an MVNO CSR to manually set a CF number for you on ATT's side -- at least it sounds like you managed to talk Red Pocket into it?? -- but if you have a new ATT network account under the Tracfone umbrella, their CSRs refuse to budge from the party line that they do not support CCF.

I have an old Straight Talk ATT SIM where CCF works. I need to upgrade to a new SIM for VoLTE. I am not convinced my grandfathered CCF status will survive the transition. I'm now seriously looking at switching away from ST whom I've been with for years over this. If Red Pocket can actually set CCF to a particular number for me, I might consider them even if I can't turn it on and off myself without talking to someone.

But we are both now treading far afield from this thread's subject...my apologies.

Feedback Score
    I hate to deviate more from the original post, but will at&t keep hspa after they fully convert to VoLTE? I have a Freeup sim that does the same on my unlocked moto E4, and a Truphone sim that need a non VoLTE signal to work in the future. I also am thinking of purchasing an alarm system that purports unlocked VoLTE capability, but based on the comments here probably won't work with AT&T on VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @jw530 hspa =3g. No, once they fully migrate to volte, 3g/hspa will no longer work.

Freeup supports volte (need to have it enabled on the account) on a capable device. I just had it enabled on mine, even on the free plan.

Reread post #6 above.

@NathanA I vaguely recall reading the same, but can't make sense of it given I can change my cricket ccf # myself.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    I hate to deviate more from the original post, but will at&t keep hspa after they fully convert to VoLTE?
    The reported plan is to drop it around February 2022. At some point, they will just be VoLTE on 4G/LTE, dropping to 4G/LTE for voice, 5G for data, and I presume the voice over 5G when finalized and included in phones. And VoWiFi.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    What unlocked moto or other phone will work with AT&T's VoLTE or best to get a locked AT&T phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    What unlocked moto or other phone will work with AT&T's VoLTE or best to get a locked AT&T phone?
    Officially, just the ones listed at https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf.

My wife has a Pixel 3a on AT&T Prepaid, and she gets VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    H2O was acquired in Jan 2019 by Telrite, the same company that owns PureTalk wireless, hence those "Pure" APN settings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast