Thread: VERIZON PrePaid Questions

Feedback Score

VERIZON PrePaid Questions

Just started Vzw PP for my mifi outspot. Just some questions on when it's time to renew my plan. Holding off on autopay till I know I'm staying.

Through my MYVerizon do I just add to my balance (currently $0) with a debit or CC before my plan due date; then on the due date it will draw from the balance and renew the plan without me having do do anything, no worries?

Can I add several months worth of $ to my balance and it will keep renewing my plan monthly as long as I have a balance without any interaction on my part ?

If I want to add more data, it will just do the same....and unused add-on data carried over and for how long?

I have more question, some related to the MiFi 8800l but I'll do that in another thread.

We'll start with this for now. Thx !

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    1) Yes, basically. You can add credit at any time through MyVerizon, or using Verizon Prepaid refill cards purchased from retailers like Target (which occasionally have discounts). The credit will stay on the account until used up by a monthly charge or on-demand (Data Boost add-on, international data) charges.
    Autopay tends to take credit out the day of or a day before the monthly cycle resets. If there isn't enough credit on the account, it will charge the rest (with fees and taxes) to the debit/credit card on file.
    You will incur sales taxes (and possibly 911 or Universal Service fees) when you do any debit or credit card charge into the account. That is why people tend to buy the refill cards, as some places don't charge sales taxes or fees for Verizon Prepaid cards.

2) If data add-ons for Prepaid hotspots are handled like they are with Prepaid phone plans, then add-ons expire 90 days from the day they are purchased.
    Extra data from your base monthly plan doesn't rollover on newest Prepaid plans. However, the add-on data should be available for the entire 90 days. Unless this changed recently, which I doubt.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 08-02-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just started Vzw PP for my mifi outspot. Just some questions on when it's time to renew my plan. Holding off on autopay till I know I'm staying.

Through my MYVerizon do I just add to my balance (currently $0) with a debit or CC before my plan due date; then on the due date it will draw from the balance and renew the plan without me having do do anything, no worries?

Can I add several months worth of $ to my balance and it will keep renewing my plan monthly as long as I have a balance without any interaction on my part ?

If I want to add more data, it will just do the same....and unused add-on data carried over and for how long?...
    My experience is for Vz PP on a phone.

Don't know for sure about add-on data. Unused regular data carries forward for one month before expiring.

Yes to the other questions.

If you put it on autopay by giving them a CC to charge, you can still make deposits and they will be used at the autopay rate before the CC is charged. They won't split payments between deposit balance and CC if the deposit balance is not enough for the monthly payment. They would charge the CC.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the inputs so far. That's how I understood things. Just don't want my plan to expire and that it will renew as long as I have a balance in there and I don't need to to anything on my end, it'll just renew without concern. I'm still shy about autopay on anything. Don't want unexpected charges.

Without going into the customer service nightmare I had getting set up, what's the best prepaid phone number and tips to contact them with any issues? I found that I sometime ended up in post paid CS and they wouldn't help, and even when in prepaid they bounced me all over the place trying to get help, sometime ending back in post paid. Thx!

Feedback Score
    You can do that if autopay has not been setup or cancel auto pay then use the app or refill card to top up your account. If you get discounts for using autopay - you will lose them.

Feedback Score
    For my Mifi Hotspot device I went into MyVerizon today to ADD FUNDs since my initial plan renewal is in about a week. I used a CC. The only option it gave me was $50 which is the cost of the MiFi data plan I'm on. First I thought I'd be able to add any amount but wasn't given that option.
    Then I expected my CC would be charged the $50 plus taxes/fees. But all that was charged to my CC was $50 which my Vzw balance now reflects.
    Are there no taxes or gov fees on data only hotspot plans ? (thought I read that somewhere but can't find it)
    How can I add more $ then the plan amount in case I want a data boost or just to cover a couple months worth ?
    Thx

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (both gens)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    For my Mifi Hotspot device I went into MyVerizon today to ADD FUNDs since my initial plan renewal is in about a week. I used a CC. The only option it gave me was $50 which is the cost of the MiFi data plan I'm on. First I thought I'd be able to add any amount but wasn't given that option.
    Then I expected my CC would be charged the $50 plus taxes/fees. But all that was charged to my CC was $50 which my Vzw balance now reflects.
    Are there no taxes or gov fees on data only hotspot plans ? (thought I read that somewhere but can't find it)
    How can I add more $ then the plan amount in case I want a data boost or just to cover a couple months worth ?
    Thx
    Your best bet to add funds is get a refill card from a retailer like target or Kroger. You can add almost as much as you want, but I believe there is a limit. If you do decide to enable autopay for the discount it will take from balance first, so you could essentially use something like privacy to create a burner card with a $5 spending limit and tie that card to the autopay.

For the MiFi plans they don’t have calling enabled so they are not subject to the e911 or other fees associated with wireless calling. Depending on the state there is sometimes tax on data but seems like not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    First I thought I'd be able to add any amount but wasn't given that option.
    So you don't see anything like what I see in my MyVerizon account? This is on a computer and not my cell phone.
    Agree with voidleaf to use a refill card of the desired denomination.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    @taoman.....Just went back in. Now it gives that option. There's my balance $50 and plan cost $50 showing then the fill in box like you showed. Maybe it was there before but had the plan default amount of $50 filled in so I may have missed it. $50 balance is all I need in there for now so it will renew when due. Next month when I go in to add funds I'll keep a better eye out.

@voidleaf......that's what I was thinking about no taxes or fees on HotSpot data only plans. No e911 and I read Arizona doesn't tax service that is internet only which HS is. Since Verizon refill cards can be used for phone or hotspot devices a store would likely charge me state and local tax plus e911. Cheaper just using a CC on MyVerizon which avoids taxes and e911.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (both gens)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score

VERIZON PrePaid Questions

@taoman.....Just went back in. Now it gives that option. There's my balance $50 and plan cost $50 showing then the fill in box like you showed. Maybe it was there before but had the plan default amount of $50 filled in so I may have missed it. $50 balance is all I need in there for now so it will renew when due. Next month when I go in to add funds I'll keep a better eye out.

@voidleaf......that's what I was thinking about no taxes or fees on HotSpot data only plans. No e911 and I read Arizona doesn't tax service that is internet only which HS is. Since Verizon refill cards can be used for phone or hotspot devices a store would likely charge me state and local tax plus e911. Cheaper just using a CC on MyVerizon which avoids taxes and e911.

Thanks!
    Here in Cali it seems to depend on the store. I usually order email delivery through target and not once have paid taxes or fees.

Also, my plan renews tomorrow so I’ll check my hotspot to see if it’s displaying the data at that point and will respond to that thread with what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo