Thread: Set USB file transfer mode by default?

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Set USB file transfer mode by default?

Hey guys;
    I have a new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (Tracfone). So far I really like the phone.
    Now I am trying to find a way to set the default USB mode so that when I connect the USB to my Windows 10 PC it opens in the file transfer mode.
    Currently, when I plug in the USB cable, I see the Moto G7 in Windows file explorer, but the folder is empty.
    I need to pull down the notification menu, select Charging, then tap another thing, and finally reach the menu to select what USB function I want. I select file transfer and then I can see the internal and SD card on my Windows PC.
    There must be a method to set this action as default.
    I have tried setting USB debugging mode in developer, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ultrarunner

Feedback Score
    There is actually a reason why it's set up that way. Some businesses have charging ports for customer use. There have been situations where the circuitry had malware that could read the contents of the phone because there was no control over data access. So now, the phone defaults to charging only unless you give permission for data access.

I'm not aware of a way to override that since it's a security issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Hey guys;
    I have a new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (Tracfone). So far I really like the phone.
    Now I am trying to find a way to set the default USB mode so that when I connect the USB to my Windows 10 PC it opens in the file transfer mode.
    Currently, when I plug in the USB cable, I see the Moto G7 in Windows file explorer, but the folder is empty.
    I need to pull down the notification menu, select Charging, then tap another thing, and finally reach the menu to select what USB function I want. I select file transfer and then I can see the internal and SD card on my Windows PC.
    There must be a method to set this action as default.
    I have tried setting USB debugging mode in developer, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ultrarunner
    If you have enabled Developer options, scroll down past USB debugging and you should see Default USB configuration. At least that is where it is on my Moto X4 running Pie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Hey guys; I have a new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (Tracfone). So far I really like the phone. Now I am trying to find a way to set the default USB mode so that when I connect the USB to my Windows 10 PC it opens in the file transfer mode. Currently, when I plug in the USB cable, I see the Moto G7 in Windows file explorer, but the folder is empty. I need to pull down the notification menu, select Charging, then tap another thing, and finally reach the menu to select what USB function I want. I select file transfer and then I can see the internal and SD card on my Windows PC. There must be a method to set this action as default. I have tried setting USB debugging mode in developer, but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Thanks Ultrarunner
    you should be able to set this up in USB preferences - https://www.motorola-support.com/us-...uter-windows/6 see page 6/10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you should be able to set this up in USB preferences - https://www.motorola-support.com/us-...uter-windows/6 see page 6/10
    That is the method the OP used, which has to be done every time USB is connected. They were looking for a new default setting to use MTP instead of Charging. This is in the Developer options setting mentioned.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I never connect my phone to a charging port or WiFi away from home, so security would not be an issue for me. I received a PM from Tracfone asking me to chat with them. Maybe I'll do that, but I'll try the suggestions I receive here first.
    Thanks

Edit: I was able to change the USB preference to File Transfer. It works fine now. Thanks guys.