Thread: Can an account or balance be sold?

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Can an account or balance be sold?

I've had a Page Plus paygo phone for several years that I don't use much. I add $10 refills and my balance just keeps going up, now around $150. Now that I'm looking at new phones to meet the Verizon end of CDMA, I'm considering getting a decent mid-range smartphone and moving to a monthly data plan, possibly with some other carrier.

If I move on from PP, can I do anything with that balance that I've been growing, rather than abandoning it? I could always keep it as a cheap backup, keep putting $30 a year into it, but I'd still need to replace my old phone and I don't really need a cheap backup phone.

Feedback Score
    Yes, they can be sold, if you can find the right buyer. You can also use the balance to start paying for a PPC plan. If you do the latter, just keep an eye on the cash balance expiration date, as you'll probably have to add a $10 card at least one more time to keep it from expiring, and you should be able to use up most of your cash balance in around 5 months, or if you add a total of another $30, you'll use it all up in 6 months, if you use the PPC $29.95 plan,

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Few years ago I sold a cheap moto phone with a plan balance.. ~$70 balance or so iirc. Sold it for $90 with a moto e lte (xt1528) on ebay. Netted around $70. Phone cost me $10 few years prior. Selling the balance on its own was difficult, but packaged with a phone made it more appealing. Ironically the buyer's kid burned through all the balance before switching to a monthly plan.

Feedback Score
    But what phone are you using now? Don't forget; at the end of the year you lose it all unless you have a VoLTE phone or change to one.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think losing it is the right word. The account and number will still be there, just not usable without a compatible phone.

I'm not on pageplus any more, nor have I been for many years. I got in on a grandfathered cricket group plan.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Right. The old CDMA phone will no longer be good, and I want to keep the phone number. So I'm asking if the account could be sold and the balance transferred to someone else's phone and number.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Prepaid account sold without the number? Highly unlikely. In my case the number went with the service/phone. With some prepaids (tmobile?) you might be able to open a second account, port the number to it, then assign another number to the initial account. Don't think that will work with page plus.

I use google voice so the actual carrier number was irrelevant.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. It's much clearer now.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Btw, should you decide to sell the plan with your number, make sure you change your number at various entities which may send you a verification text.

Interesting read - https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/...agram-account/

Just goes to show, sms verification is practically useless because ownership of the sms device (cell phone) can apparently be compromised.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    Right. The old CDMA phone will no longer be good, and I want to keep the phone number. So I'm asking if the account could be sold and the balance transferred to someone else's phone and number.
    Hmm...I don't think you provided that piece of information before.

No, what you've now described is not possible.

With that newly stated requirement, I think your only option to use up your PPC balance is my above suggestion of "You can also use the balance to start paying for a PPC plan".