Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HelloMobile GSM SIM (and the future of Sprint's MVNOs)

Feedback Score

HelloMobile GSM SIM (and the future of Sprint's MVNOs)

Yesterday I requested GSM (T-Mobile) SIM from HelloMobile as replacement for Sprint compatible SIM.
    HM has weird replacement policy (old SIM deactivated immediately after new SIM mailed), so I just requested new line (GSM/T-Mobile). I am going deactivate old line after receiving new SIM ( I do not care of the phone number).

As far as I understand, HM started to send GSM SIMs by default (unless they know that the phone is CDMA only).

Considering the fact that T-Mobile started to reallocate LTE Band 41 to 5G and LTE on T-Mobile network and this band becomes unavailable for Sprint phones in some areas, it would be good idea to switch to GSM SIM (or VZW SIM where available) in case of HelloMobile and all other former Sprint's MVNO that allows such switch.

Feedback Score
    would you mind when you get the SIM to share the first eight number of the card number ?

also if you do by chance have a T-Mobile locked phone would be good to know if the SIM works in those. i have heard but from a possible not so reliable source(from inside the carriers but far more more knowledgeable on business than anything technical) that GSM/T-Mobile SIM's on at least some MVNO will not work on T-Mobile locked phones as has always been the case for T-Mobile MVNO SIM but rather would require phones to be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    > would you mind when you get the SIM to share the first eight number of the card number ?

Will do

> also if you do by chance have a T-Mobile locked phone would be good to know if the SIM works in those. i have heard but from a possible not so reliable source(from inside the carriers but far more more knowledgeable on business than anything technical) that GSM/T-Mobile SIM's on at least some MVNO will not work on T-Mobile locked phones as has always been the case for T-Mobile MVNO SIM but rather would require phones to be unlocked.

I do have T-Mobile locked phone and I will check this point. But as far as I know, if the phones is locked to T-Mobile Proper (not to T-Mobile Prepaid or MetroPCS), you can use MVNO's SIM in this phone.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Looking forward to hearing more about this. $5 flat for 500MB, 500min and unlimited SMS on T-Mobile is a new budget plan leader if there aren't problems. Was the SIM free with the order?

For anyone considering the unlimited plan, note that there are reports on reddit of them throttling data hard at 18GB of usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    > would you mind when you get the SIM to share the first eight number of the card number ?

Will do

> also if you do by chance have a T-Mobile locked phone would be good to know if the SIM works in those. i have heard but from a possible not so reliable source(from inside the carriers but far more more knowledgeable on business than anything technical) that GSM/T-Mobile SIM's on at least some MVNO will not work on T-Mobile locked phones as has always been the case for T-Mobile MVNO SIM but rather would require phones to be unlocked.

I do have T-Mobile locked phone and I will check this point. But as far as I know, if the phones is locked to T-Mobile Proper (not to T-Mobile Prepaid or MetroPCS), you can use MVNO's SIM in this phone.
    I received the GSM/T-mobile SIM today and inserted it to old unlocked Nexus 5 (not registered with Hello Mobile).
    Everything worked from the box (voice calls and internet). LTE works (no manual APN config required).
    Internet is very fast (identical to T-Mobile proper).

On unlocked Moto E5 Power, VoLTE works, APN configured automatically, Wi-Fi Calling does not work (confirmed by Hello Mobile too).

As far I understand, no international roaming.
    The SIM also works with locked T-Mobile phones (I inserted it to another old T-Mobile locked phone).

You should ignore all instructions that are coming with the SIM (they are for Sprint CDMA SIM). Just insert SIM into T-Mobile or unlocked phone and set APN to fast.t-mobile.com (if not set automatically).

First 8 digits of SIM ICCID: 89012608

Interesting fact: while requesting the SIM by phone I was asked IMEI of the phone where this SIM will be used. I gave then IMEI of "hacked" Sprint phone (I unlocked GSM radio on it, officially this phone does not support GSM) and HelloMobile accepted it. Today I inserted the SIM into different phone (not registered with HM) and everything works with GSM/T-Mobile without IMEI registration.

Update: not every phone inserts automatically APN. In case of HelloMobile GSM SIM, use T-Mobile APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    Last edited by RFK; 08-05-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    IMEI registration is BS & should be banned.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    IMEI registration is BS & should be banned.
    Totally agree!

As of now, it happens with VzW (at least, initially while activating new SIM), Sprint MVNOs (not sure about Sprint itself after merge with T-Mobile) and MetroPCS.

AT&T (and it's MVNOs) uses IMEI registration to activate/block VoLTE.

T-Mobile (and it's MVNOs except MetroPCS) does not use it at all.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I looked at the Hello website and it was sort of hard to figure out where everything was. I did manage to check a couple of phones. An unlocked AT&T LG Phoenix 2, and a ZTE zFiveG Z755BL that I got from SafeLink a few years back and that was deactivated at least a year ago. Both passed the IMEI check.

I looked at the low prices on the plans. The $5/mo plan is equivalent in price to the Red Pocket plan that's on eBay if not the plan itself.

To sign up, do you have to register your debit/cc and authorize automatic payments, or can you pay by the month on the day you choose?

Are there add ons?

How long do you have to activate the SIM before it expires?

I was about to spring for the SIM but decided to ask first.

Thanks.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I looked at the Hello website and it was sort of hard to figure out where everything was. I did manage to check a couple of phones. An unlocked AT&T LG Phoenix 2, and a ZTE zFiveG Z755BL that I got from SafeLink a few years back and that was deactivated at least a year ago. Both passed the IMEI check.
    Every GSM phone is going to pass IMEI check (and, as result of this, HelloMobile check).

I looked at the low prices on the plans. The $5/mo plan is equivalent in price to the Red Pocket plan that's on eBay if not the plan itself.

To sign up, do you have to register your debit/cc and authorize automatic payments, or can you pay by the month on the day you choose?

Are there add ons?
    You have to give them cc/debit card, but you can turn off auto-refill. It is $5/month, not $60/year

Addons:
    - $10 1 GB High Speed Data Unlimited Minutes & Unlimited Texting
    - $1 Dollar Day Unlimited Minutes & Texting for 24 Hours
    - international refills (to call abroad)

There is list of countries where calls are included (Europe, Canada etc)

How long do you have to activate the SIM before it expires?
    You have expiration date on GSM card. In my case it was 2023.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Every GSM phone is going to pass IMEI check (and, as result of this, HelloMobile check).

You have to give them cc/debit card, but you can turn off auto-refill. It is $5/month, not $60/year

Addons:
    - $10 1 GB High Speed Data Unlimited Minutes & Unlimited Texting
    - $1 Dollar Day Unlimited Minutes & Texting for 24 Hours
    - international refills (to call abroad)

There is list of countries where calls are included (Europe, Canada etc)

You have expiration date on GSM card. In my case it was 2023.
    Thanks RFK. It sounds like a good deal. Certainly cheap enough to try.

Is it possible to swap SIMs to other AT&T/GSM phones after activation, just to see which I like best (like I've done with H20 or AT&T )?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to swap SIMs to other AT&T/GSM phones after activation, just to see which I like best (like I've done with H20 or AT&T )?
    There is no such thing as phone activation for HelloMobile GSM SIM. You can put your SIM into any unlocked or T-Mobile GSM phone and to move it between the phones every minute. Just ask them to send GSM (not CDMA) SIM. If they ask IMEI, give them IMEI of any GSM phone (not necessary the phone you are going to use).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I found out why I couldn't find what I wanted right away on that website, I was on the Hello Mobile BOGO page. It's different, configured www.hellomobile.com/bogo

That page was the one I found first on a Google search and clicked through to it instead of their regular homepage.

www.hellomobile.com

Here's the phone IMEI check page.

https://hellomobile.com/byop/validate

I checked an active Moto e5 and they said no go. I was just seeing if they'd validate anything. I also have a Simple Mobile Moto e5 that isn't active, never was activated but of course it'd be locked to SM, but would be a good one to use.

Realistically it'll probably be the LG Phoenix 2 or my ZTE zFiveG Z755BL that was on SafeLink. Those passed the IMEI check.

So I went ahead and created an account and ordered the $5/mo plan with 500 mins/ 500mb data, unlimited texts.

It said unlimited texts, picture and video messages, meaning MMS included. Will the MMS feature quit when the data runs out?

If mobile data is off (i use WiFi for email and browser) it's to be assumed no MMS will come through or send.

Some phones open the port to send then close again, but won't do that to receive an MMS. They just send a text to say there's a message to download and then it usually won't. I can't remember if the Phoenix opened the sally port.

Thanks for posting the info about HM. I look forward to trying their service. At these prices, it ain't no hurt. I won't even use all the talk minutes, but just good to know it's there.

Feedback Score
    Strange. For me it accept any IMEI including old Tracfone/ATT locked 2G Nokia 1100.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Strange. For me it accept any IMEI including old Tracfone/ATT locked 2G Nokia 1100.
    Wow, an old 2g Nokia?

Ok so that decided me to check my Simple Mobile Moto e5 and it passed. It's never been activated.

It also passed my deactivated TracFone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro SM-s327VL, my deactivated (GSM) TracFone Alcatel Zip A576BL, but NOT my never activated US Cellular LG K8 (2017) LGUS215.

I'd like to use my Luna Pro. It's small and worked well as handset on TF.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    "...It said unlimited texts, picture and video messages, meaning MMS included. Will the MMS feature quit when the data runs out?

If mobile data is off (i use WiFi for email and browser) it's to be assumed no MMS will come through or send..."

Yes & yes.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast