Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HelloMobile GSM SIM (and the future of Sprint's MVNOs)

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    "...It said unlimited texts, picture and video messages, meaning MMS included. Will the MMS feature quit when the data runs out?

If mobile data is off (i use WiFi for email and browser) it's to be assumed no MMS will come through or send..."

Yes & yes.
    Thanks for the info.

I figured MMS couldn't send/receive if I had mobile data set to off, since MMS uses data, but wasn't sure if MMS would continue if the 500mb data ran out.

It says unlimited texts/ picture, video messaging (guessing at the higher data speed) then when the 500mb data is exhausted I thought instead of a hard cap it might just drop to a lower speed until data was renewed, but continue to send MMS at that lower speed.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    ... but NOT my never activated US Cellular LG K8 (2017) LGUS215.
    LG K8 (2017) LGUS215 is Verizon CDMA phone. It is not GSM or Sprint CDMA phone, so, IMEI check failed. You can not use this phone with HelloMobile regardless of SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    LG K8 (2017) LGUS215 is Verizon CDMA phone. It is not GSM or Sprint CDMA phone, so, IMEI check failed. You can not use this phone with HelloMobile regardless of SIM.
    I got it at Walmart on cheap clearance and never activated it. I IMEI checked it with TracFone's BYOP checker and it passed there, but TracFone uses Verizon, besides T-Mobile and AT&T underlying service. I decided TracFone BYOP wasn't the best deal because it didn't allow $50/year service extensions. So I stuck with TracFone branded phones because those allow $50/year extensions to keep service active.

Glad I found out about Hello Mobile. Activated a phone on H20 Wireless today and so will have Hello and H20 besides my two current TracFones.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just got an email from Hello Mobile saying before my SIM could ship, I had to set up my line. I clicked through and it takes me to a page that says,

(pasted in)

Line 1 - Shipment Processing

Phone: SIM-GSM

Number: A new number will be assigned

Great news! Your FREE SIM Card Kit was ordered and you'll receive an email shortly with the tracking information. Stay tuned!

(end pasted quote)

I click the yellow "manage my account" link below that and it takes me to a page that says,

(pasted in)

Don't Worry About Your Payment Just Yet!
    Your plan payment will begin when you start using your phone to make calls or send texts.

(end quote)

Under that it says "MY LINES. View the status of my lines" So I click that and it takes me right back to the aforementioned page with the message I pasted in above ("Great News!") and the manage my account link I clicked.

I see a list of "quick links" (overview, billing, lines, profile, plan, shipments) so I try to click LINES. It doesn't click. I click OVERVIEW and it takes me back to the page that says,

Your plan payment will begin when you start using your phone to make calls or send texts.

Then i try again to click LINES and it takes me back to the LINE 1 — SHIPMENT PROCESSING page mentioned above.

There's no page with info to fill out about setting up my line. Yet they said my SIM wouldn't ship until I set up my line.

Has anyone else gotten this email after ordering a SIM? What happened? Did they ship the SIM whether or not you responded to it?

I've never had to "set up a line" or declare the phone I intended to use when ordering a SIM. The SIM at H20 Wireless just ships when I order it and when it comes I just stick it in the phone and activate at the website, the number is assigned and they never ask what the phone's IMEI is, it's assumed their system may be able to check that. So what's up with this strange Hello Mobile email?

I tapped the chat link and got an email response form that said they'd get back to me when they were able. I asked them what's up with the email they sent, telling me they couldn't ship my SIM til I set up my line. I said I usually didn't have to set up my line until I get a SIM and activate.

Mystified by a complexity that shouldn't be that complex.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I went back to the HM website to see if chat was up and that time got a human CSR named Roberto. He said my SIM was processed for shipping by UPS and gave me the number.

Went to the shipment tracking page and clicked through, UPS said no record of the number in their system, but it's early yet.

Hello Mobile needs to chuck that email they sent me, it's crazy. Confused the hello out of me. They need to just ship the SIM and let the buyer activate when they get it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Just logged into my Hello Mobile account and the line info was updated. They've already assigned a telephone number to my account. Kind of odd to have a number issued before a SIM even ships. But there's a tracking # and I'm just waiting for the SIM to be acknowledged by UPS.

I don't need unlimited but their prices seem awfully good.

I noted there's $1 difference between these two plans,

$14/ unlimited talk/text, 2gb data
    $15/ unlimited talk/text, 4gb data

Who would do the 2gb plan to save a buck. 4gb is great for that price.

The add ons include $10/ 1gb data. It said "unlimited talk/text" by it. Does that mean when you pay for the data they switch you to unlimited talk/text for the remainder of the month?

I don't foresee needing a more expensive plan right now because my usage is low but the $15 unlimited 4gb plan would be the deal if i ever need more.

I haven't seen any better plans than these advertised anywhere, and Red Pocket is pretty cheap.

Feedback Score
    This company does not inspire confidence.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    This company does not inspire confidence.
    Not yet, but if the concerns begin before the SIM ships, gotta be something wrong. The website is a bit glitchy on my Moto e5. The shipment notice came hours ago but UPS still around 2pm hasn't acknowledged the tracking #. The Hello email says give it 24—48 hours. Also, 5--10 days shipping.

I'll give it a shot. If it turns out the service is ok, I'll stick it out til some issue pops up. One bad issue would be overcharging my debit. I'd be outa there if that happened. I prefer choosing when i buy my topups, I don't like registering for automatic payments. Someone said i don't have to do automatic payments, so we'll see.

If it's a loser, I'll try Red Pocket's $60/year deal. I was going to anyway. It's $5/month too, just paid all at once up front, about 100mins, 100 texts, 500mb data if I remember rightly. I haven't heard much bad said about them.

Hopefully Hello turns out to be ok. I'm guessing the way low prices are to attract enough customers to keep them afloat but then if they get a large base, will raise the rates.

Like I said, will give them a shot. We'll see how they do. Must be customers who've been with them awhile who could say what it's been like.

Feedback Score
    This company is only like one or two years old. No telling how it will fare switching to a new master (T-Mobile). I had a T-Mobile MVNO once, and it caved out of the blue due to issues with the master. I was stuck with useless airtime. Also, they messed up porting my number out, and that was a BBB headache with Tracfone having to play Sherlock.

I did a search, and the reviews aren't good. Seems to be worse than Tracfone.

I wouldn't trust their billing or anything else.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    This company is only like one or two years old. No telling how it will fare switching to a new master (T-Mobile). I had a T-Mobile MVNO once, and it caved out of the blue due to issues with the master. I was stuck with useless airtime. Also, they messed up porting my number out, and that was a BBB headache with Tracfone having to play Sherlock.

I did a search, and the reviews aren't good. Seems to be worse than Tracfone.

I wouldn't trust their billing or anything else.
    I should search online reviews. I did see a 2019 date, so not two yet.

Thanks for the heads up. That's why I hesitate to put my debit out except as a one time purchase, don't like associating my debit with an account.

I just checked my UPS tracking and found out it's UPS Mail Innovations. Under package details below shipping history, it shows an alternative tracking number besides the original one.

I bought four cellphone covers from Walmart and UPS Mail Innovations handed the package off to the post office at some point. It stopped moving forty miles from here and showed a delivery date a week in the past. I waited a few days more. No updates, so I contacted UPS, the PO, and the seller. The seller gave me a refund, saying if they ever came, I could keep the cases. A week or so later the tracking notice updated and the package arrived.

I hope this shipment doesn't hang. The package isn't at UPS yet but they now acknowledge the tracking #.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/dania-beac...stomer-reviews

I just started looking for alternatives to another cell provider because of a recent BBB situation (resolved because of numerous calls and finally found the right person, they finally initiated the refund). After reading the BBB reviews on HM, not sure I chose the right place. I posted the link to their 27 BBB reviews.

I ordered the SIM so I'll give them a shot (2nd month supposedly free), but I hope the service isn't too bad... Might delete the debit card from the account if they allow payment on day of my choice, if not, I'm bound to decamp because I dislike plans that require a card on file. I think Red Pocket is the one I should have tried first.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    On that BBB page, on the right side, it has some information that is not reassuring. Also, the two years in business is because the company started out with a different name for a year, so total two. I guess the first name wasn't cool enough (Q Link) or the reputation tanked.

I wouldn't send them a dime. Unless you want another headache so soon after the last one. It amazes me how these entrepreneurs have so little integrity. In the BBB complaints, the CS reps are in outer space.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    On that BBB page, on the right side, it has some information that is not reassuring. Also, the two years in business is because the company started out with a different name for a year, so total two. I guess the first name wasn't cool enough (Q Link) or the reputation tanked.

I wouldn't send them a dime. Unless you want another headache so soon after the last one. It amazes me how these entrepreneurs have so little integrity. In the BBB complaints, the CS reps are in outer space.
    Lisme, I really should have checked BBB. I really goofed. Guess what. I've been charged the $5 today and it clearly states no payment until you use your phone. The SIM hasn't shipped.

(Quote pasted...)

(end quote)

And guess what else.

I decided to look them over more closely. The BBB site says they're not BBB accredited. Yet the BBB seal is on their website claiming an A rating. That's outright FRAUD.

AND WORSE...

I wondered why they'd issue a phone # so quickly even before the SIM ships.

I found out why.

I went into my account to check out details, like whether or not it was clear if I could remove my method of payment at any time. It appears I can.

However...

I checked the overview and other details. I've been ripped already.

Under my phone number it shows I've already used 20 of my 500 mins of talk time. I said WHAT?

I clicked DETAILS below that and there's a list of numbers. They started after my phone line was activated. If that many minutes have been used off the account the first day, how many before the SIM actually arrives?

I took screen shots of the numbers.

Are they spammers who were calling the number before it was deactivated by the last person who had it, and since the line was activated, they've resumed calling and they're being charged to me as if I've answered? All sorts of ideas on this. Just a scam. Activate the number before the person gets it... SO THEY CAN TREAT IT AS AN ACTIVE LINE AND START BILLING
    CALLS ON THE BALANCE.

The BBB reviews were pretty bad. People with data use issues, service problems, service desk was useless. Assorted issues, but the fact that the person pays and it takes weeks or longer to get the SIM. Told it was lost in the mail in one extreme case.

Some must have ordered unlimited t/t. But the calls would still be listed on the account. Did they start as mine did, as soon as the SIM was activated with a number, before it was even shipped? I got billed, the line activated, then some scam going on with fake calls to deduct minutes...

The HM service desk was saying to people who posted BBB reviews that their records show they were using the service so it must be working fine (when the review complained of poor or no service).

How many of the calls or texts were fraudulent to make it look like they were using the account?

People here who have Hell-o accounts should immediately check their phone records at the website to spot fraudulent entries that may be padding their bill.

If you find anything, it's not just a BBB case. It's actual fraud.

I've included a screenshot to prove this is true.

It shows the info about minutes used. I left the telephone # out of the picture.
    Name:  Screenshot_hellomobile1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  28.1 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The screenshot seems to be malfunctioning on the post. Strange because it usually posts fine as a jpg, but not as a png using the HoFo app.

It shows when I add it. Name:  Screenshot_hellomobile1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.1 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    @WheelieBoot

>https://hellomobile.com/byop/validate

Be aware that above IMEI checker is broke. I tested some IMEIs, including a couple of 10-yr-old Sprint flips' MEIDs, and they all passed. They shouldn't pass.

Unless you have other than TF-locked phones, your phones will not be usable outside of TF (until you unlock them). There's a reason why they're cheap.

BTW, it looks like you're having fun, trying different things in the world of cheap phone services. That's good. But I'm going to be a party-poopie here and point out that all those $50 purchases eventually will add up to some real money. Put another way, instead of a drawerful of locked phones destined for the junkyard, you can probably get a pretty nice phone that can work on any carrier.

That's all the more applicable, as it looks like you've outgrown the TF playground and want to try out other providers. Your TF phones will not be of use, and you will need a so-called "universal" phone to work with any provider.

Roll on, bud.
    Thanks for pointing it out that the phone checker is suspect... It did reject two phones, one was the US Cellular LGUS215 or LG K8 (2017) and the other i used to test to see if it'd accept anything. That was my TF Moto e5 and it's activated. That was rejected.

I should have gone to Red Pocket since that's what I was planning.

Since reading the BBB reviews, I wouldn't want their service if my life literally depended on it.

I went and saw why they debit the card right away. So they can activate the line and start billing calls as if the SIM was in the phone.

Everyone here needs to check their Hello accounts for signs of fraud.

Screenshot it if you spot anything.

I don't know why my screenshots seem to be breaking suddenly. Every screenshot posted prior to this has posted using the HoFo application just fine unless I forget to convert png to jpg files. I converted them. Usually I delete the png's afterwards to be sure I don't accidentally try to post the wrong one.

Is anyone seeing the file, or is it only breaking on my phones tonight for some reason?

Well, no more cheapo services for me. It's done for unknown providers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast