Thread: Anyone Use Mobley as Primary Internet? Help

Feedback Score

Anyone Use Mobley as Primary Internet? Help

I have a Mobley that I’m using in a Velocity device. It works decent I can get 5-7 Mpbs peak times which is plenty to stream tv and have other devices connected.

The issue is we live in a 2 story house and the Velocity doesn’t reach upstarts. I tried to center the Velocity so it could reach upstarts but signal was weak and wouldn’t connect. I brought the Velocity upstairs to see if it was a fluke and it worked great but weak signal on the 1st floor.

I’m looking to ditch Comcast. We don’t need high speeds for what we do. I think a steady and consistent 5-7 Mpbs is good enough. Comcast won’t give us new customer pricing.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue? Thanks!
    Last edited by macher52; 07-31-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    I have a Mobley that I’m using in a Velocity device. It works decent I can get 5-7 Mpbs peak times which is plenty to stream tv and have other devices connected.

The issue is we live in a 2 story house and the Velocity doesn’t reach upstarts. I tried to center the Velocity so it could reach upstarts but signal was weak and wouldn’t connect. I brought the Velocity upstairs to see if it was a fluke and it worked great but weak signal on the 1st floor.

I’m looking to ditch Comcast. We don’t need high speeds for what we do. I think a steady and consistent 5-7 Mpbs is good enough. Comcast won’t give us new customer pricing.

You need a WiFi range extender or a good WiFi router that will do USB tether* from the hotspot.

The technical term for a range extender is a repeater bridge. I have one set up on an old Wifi router flashed to DD-WRT for the same reason. My hotspot only has good signal at one window at the far end of the house.

The ideal position for the range extender is about half way between the hotspot and where you want to extend to.

I frequently see range extenders in the $20-$30 range. I have not personally tried any to know how well they work. Maybe someone else can post their experience with them.

Routers with USB tether:
    http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.co...ported_devices

You don't have to reflash these routers to the Merlin firmware. The firmware they come with supports USB tether.

I'm not using my Mobley for wired Internet replacement, just power and cable outages. We had one last night with thunderstorms.

*I think the Velocity is capable of USB tether, but I'm not sure.

[Edit] Update: It tried USB tethering my Velocity to my ASUS RT-AC66U B1. It worked well. You do have to set the router to be a different networks address from the Velocity. The Velocity appears to be fixed at 192.168.1.1 with no way to change it. I set the router to be 192.168.3.x. The Velocity will ask you to turn off it's WiFi when you plug in the USB cable from the router. There is a button to touch for that on the Velocity screen.

The router also charges the Velocity while it is connected over the USB cable. It is not actually a good thing to charge cell device batteries 24/7 for extended periods of time. I would get a spare battery. I don't know if the Velocity will operate with the battery removed or fried.

Also, the Velocity has a setting for WiFi power - short, medium, and long. I don't think the default setting is long (range). You could try that.

Good luck
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 07-31-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Update

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Why not post in one of the existing Mobley threads?

You have tons of choices:
    a) tether to a router
    b) get a router you insert the sim into that is more powerful
    c) add an additional AP as needed on different level of house
    etc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post

How did you get your Mobley hotspot sim to work in the velocity or any other device for that matter? I know you have to call AT&T to get some code (forgot the name of it) but when I called twice the ones I was given didn’t work. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I’d get an M1 Nighthawk and then add a mesh WiFi system for complete coverage of a large house.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I’d get an M1 Nighthawk and then add a mesh WiFi system for complete coverage of a large house.
    Dumb question but do they work independently of each other?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    How did you get your Mobley hotspot sim to work in the velocity or any other device for that matter? I know you have to call AT&T to get some code (forgot the name of it) but when I called twice the ones I was given didn’t work. Thanks!
    A couple of years ago they made an OTA change to the Mobleys that had it set a PIN on the SIM. The PIN is an unknown number to us, and they won't provide the number. If you put the SIM in another device it won't work until you enter the PIN - which you don't know.

The way around this is to have the PUK code. When they started this they would give you the PUK code if you asked - don't know if they still do.

With the correct PUK code, you put the SIM in another device and enter an incorrect PIN repeatedly until it asks for the PUK code. Enter the PUK and the SIM will start working, and the PIN is removed. If you put the SIM back in a Mobley, it will set the unknown PIN on the SIM again.

There are actually two PUK code numbers. The second one is for if you enter the first one incorrectly too many times. IIRC, you only get three tries or something like that.

If you are feeling lucky, you could break your SIM and take it to a store and ask for a replacement. Let your creative juices flow and make up a story about how it got broke.

Presumably they did this to discourage people from using the SIM in something other than the Mobley. The plan was intended to be used only in a car with the low to moderate amount of use that goes with that.

I'm not using mine for full-time home Internet.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 08-01-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    A couple of years ago they made an OTA change to the Mobleys that had it set a PIN on the SIM. The PIN is an unknown number to us, and they won't provide the number. If you put the SIM in another device it won't work until you enter the PIN - which you don't know.

The way around this is to have the PUK code. When they started this they would give you the PUK code if you asked - don't know if they still do.

With the correct PUK code, you put the SIM in another device and enter an incorrect PIN repeatedly until it asks for the PUK code. Enter the PUK and the SIM will start working, and the PIN is removed. If you put the SIM back in a Mobley, it will set the unknown PIN on the SIM again.

There are actually two PUK code numbers. The second one is for if you enter the first one incorrectly too many times. IIRC, you only get three tries or something like that.

If you are feeling lucky, you could break your SIM and take it to a store and ask for a replacement. Let your creative juices flow and make up a story about how it got broke.

Presumably they did this to discourage people from using the SIM in something other than the Mobley. The plan was intended to be used only in a car with the low to moderate amount of use that goes with that.

I'm not using mine for full-time home Internet.
    That was it! The PUK code is what I asked for on two occasions but they didn’t work. Now I know it’s because of what you said. To enter the incorrect pin until it asks for the PUK code. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Dumb question but do they work independently of each other?

I'm sorry but I don't follow your question?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't follow your question?
    Do you need one for the other to work? Better?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    Do you need one for the other to work? Better?

Yes you can use them separately. If you buy a mesh WiFi system normally you can use it with most any router. I had the M1 going into my Amplifi HD system. We recently switched to Frontier as the can provide a steady 30mbps. We just plugged an Ethernet cable in from our new Frontier router.

Feedback Score

I took the SIM out of the Mobley device before they implemented the PUK codes. The SIM hasn’t been in the Mobley device since.