Thread: Looks like Legacy Google Voice access ends August 10th

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Looks like Legacy Google Voice access ends August 10th

Starting August 11, Voice will move permanently to voice.google.com
    I just noticed this message in the banner bar when I logged into Legacy Google Voice.

Are you guys seeing this, too?

I can only assume if a feature in Legacy hasn't been enabled in the new GV interface that it's not going to be. Bummer. I use groups pretty extensively. So I guess if you put one of your Contacts in a group it will no longer have a purpose or use? You won't be able to have individual voicemail greetings based on group membership? Or be able to route to certain lines/devices based on group membership? Crap.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still some features missing... How does one set a voice mail pin in the new UI?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I always wonder about a setting I use, where I get notified via email (the associated Gmail account) that I've got waiting voicemail, but I do NOT get transcriptions (don't want them) . I don't see anywhere in the current product to make that distinction.

Taoman, are you saying this banner appears when you go directly to the Legacy page via a known URL, or is there any difference if you're at voice.google.com and select Legacy from the left panel?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Taoman, are you saying this banner appears when you go directly to the Legacy page via a known URL, or is there any difference if you're at voice.google.com and select Legacy from the left panel?
    Doesn't matter. Either way I see the same message. Are you saying you don't see it?

Name:  GVBanner.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  11.2 KB

Feedback Score
    What about calling schedules? Has that been added to the new GV?

This is probably going to be a disaster for some long-time users!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @taoman:

No, I just didn't know if there was a difference.

I accessed voice.google.com on my tablet and couldn't get Legacy to come up in successive tabs. Just kept bringing up the original screen I was on.

Fired up the PC (what I'm on now), and was able to access Legacy from the new product, and the banner is as you say.

I checked out the feature I noted (about voicemail) and confirmed that in the new product the only selection is to "Get voicemail via email." No reference to notifications or transcriptions. There is a "Let Google analyze voicemail transcripts" feature, but whether that would turn on or off transcriptions is another matter. I want to get notifications but no transcriptions, which is what I currently have as the selections in Legacy verify. No idea what that'll end up as.

@Boz1: Yeah, all the little fringe features that Google may think are so arcane they can be trimmed away are probably going to frazzle quite a few people! All Google has to do is put them in the new product!

More: I checked out the "Learn More" link in that warning banner. Not much to learn there. Doesn't cover many bases as far as what we've brought up here.

There is a toggle in the Calls section of the new product to get email notifications of missed calls (I'm not currently using the feature). Could be a way to be tipped off to check your GV VM, but I get a good amount of missed calls that GV itself uses its magical powers to blunt if they're determined to be spam calls. Don't want notifications of that sort.
    Last edited by whacker; 07-30-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @Boz Good question on the scheduling. We have that enabled for the land line number... Not sure if it will just get disabled after 8/11 or what. Will probably disable that prior to that date just in case. I can enable DND hours on callcentric's call treatments for hours x-y .

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Looks like it may be only a partial shutdown of Legacy Google Voice on August 11th.

This will be a phased shut-down. After 8/11, the Legacy Inbox function will be removed, and the feature to add notes to call logs will be removed. The Settings section will remain as-is for now.
    https://support.google.com/voice/thread/62030486?hl=en

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Looks like they may have some awareness that the Settings section of Legacy is still being relied on by a number of users. Perhaps to give them more time to retain features?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably still a good idea to figure out alternative options in case they do decide to axe some of these features. I wish a new more granular spam control was an option - number wild card blocking --- 800-555-xxxx. Or at the very least blocking numbers from the same 6 digits as your gv number.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Probably still a good idea to figure out alternative options in case they do decide to axe some of these features.
    Yep, that's what I'm doing now. Coming up with a contingency plan in case the features I currently use in Legacy version end up getting axed.
    My GV number has been my primary number since GV was in beta so it's gotta work the way I need it to one way or another.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The important section (to me) from the link taoman posted, is this:

"Eventually, at some TBD future date, certain settings will be migrated to the new Google Voice website (UI). Google is not providing any details as to which settings will be migrated and which will not, nor when this will happen. The underlying approach is to not break features or functions for the large majority of users. Google is exploring how and when to migrate remaining features and settings to the new apps and/or to the new web UI."

So it appears on the surface that at least some additional features will still be migrated from the old to the new, implying they're not done yet. Fingers crossed on this!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's August 11th.. The sky appears to still be present in its original location. Anyone notice any changes?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's gone... Checked it this morning. Settings page is all that's left of the legacy site.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Settings page is all that's left of the legacy site.
    Hopefully that means Google actually will implement the current Legacy settings into the new/current GV web interface.