Thread: Verizon branded phone - Do I need to get it unlocked?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Verizon branded phone - Do I need to get it unlocked?

A friend upgraded to a newer phone and gave me his Verizon branded LG K20 with Android 7.0. In order to use it with PagePlus do I need to have him call Verizon or take it to one of their stores and have it unlocked? Or can I put a SIM card in and activate it as is?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    A friend upgraded to a newer phone and gave me his Verizon branded LG K20 with Android 7.0. In order to use it with PagePlus do I need to have him call Verizon or take it to one of their stores and have it unlocked? Or can I put a SIM card in and activate it as is?
    Verizon allows their phones to be used on their MVNOs without being unlocked. It does need to be removed from active service on any other account and free from requiring any more payments. Check it at the PP activation page. That will tell you if it is eligible to activate.

I don't know the LG K20. It and any phone will have to be Verizon VoLTE compatible to activated on any Verizon service - No exceptions.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks bobdevnul. I believe it it VoLTE compatible. Here's the Advanced Calling setting.

Name:  HD voice on K20.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  17.5 KB

Feedback Score
    Just be sure the IMEI number shows its "compatible" (using page plus' online tool or call them.) Especially if it is a post paid phone originally.
    I ran into a lot of MVNO issues (Even with VZW's prepaid) when i went and tried to activate my Note 8 N950U (paid off and unlocked, post paid phone.)
    I am going to move to page plus next month as it shows to be "compatible" with Page plus network.. (but was not with Straight Talk, Total Wireless, Etc. BYOP online checker and a call to the MVNO. it would however work on prepaid GSM networks.)
    I was also told by Verizon that when your phone is "paid off" it is automatically "unlocked."

sorry for the extra info, I am sure it can be helpful in the future

Best wishes!
    Rick