Thread: Omitting 5g, what tech will convince you you purchase a 5g device this year?

Feedback Score

Omitting 5g, what tech will convince you you purchase a 5g device this year?

So many people dont have access to 5g or at least reliable/fast 5g. So what tech will or have convinced you to purchase or will purchase a 5g phone this year? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This year probably not. When I purchase a 5G phone it will be incidental to the purchase.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I would not buy a 5G phone either. It is too new and there is no universal standard like it was with 4G now. All the carriers want say they have 5G on phones but it's not useful yet. I give it about another two years then tech will catch up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    So many people don’t have access to 5g or at least reliable/fast 5g. So what tech will or have convinced you to purchase or will purchase a 5g phone this year? Thanks
    There is nothing compelling about 5G yet. LTE is working fine. For my phone use 5G will be an incremental improvement that I will get when it comes with the next phone that I buy has it. I just bought a new phone so that could be several years.

iPhone users have no choice. There are no 5G iPhones yet.

Feedback Score

Omitting 5g, what tech will convince you you purchase a 5g device this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There is nothing compelling about 5G yet. LTE is working fine. For my phone use 5G will be an incremental improvement that I will get when it comes with the next phone that I buy has it. I just bought a new phone so that could be several years.

iPhone users have no choice. There are no 5G iPhones yet.
    Thank you but I am asking more towards those who have or will purchase a 5g phone. Depending on phone some can be future proof maybe for a year. Tech like DSS LAA (what is it? beam forming etc. I know Verizon doesnt have much mmwave now or any low band (but they say they will) AT&T is in the same boat as Verizon when it comes to high band but much less transplant. Tmobile is the same and the latters have low band. But will other techs or advances convince people to buy phones especially the iPhone 12. How do you convince iPhone lovers much like myself not to buy them? Btw I agree with all of you. Im not buying any phones this year unless carriers improve deployment of 5g in my city by the end of the year. What I will do is payoff my current phones (as I dont sell or do trade ins) so that Im clear to make an upgrade at the right time. And btw whats really the point on low band 5g? I means its no better than LTE. I tried it on Tmobile with the note 10 5g and it was no improvement over LTE. Is DSS suppose to improve speeds on low band so itll be a bit faster? This goes back to my original question. What tech like DSS and LAA etc convince or has convinced those to buy an 5g phone? Is it better camera systems? More ram? Form factor? Etc. I mean just take a look at the Z Flip and the Z flip 5g Some improvements over the original but not much. Plus it seems its only being sold unlocked and on Tmobile and AT&T. I guess Verizon will gets its on later on as I read an article that it would not support Verizons 5g. Mind blowing!! Why not include Verizons 5g originally? The article doesnt mention At&T and T-Mobiles high band. Only their low band and I think mid band (maybe just for Tmobile? ). To go off topic a bit, how hard would it take for manufacturers and carriers to include all bands ( low mid high) that they are or will use (Verizon low band) THIS year for phones coming out by the end of THIS year? And as more 5g rolls out your phones will just work on their 5g networks by the end of the year as I know there will be new bands 5g will be available next year etc. As to punch myself in the face, MAYBE NOT midband as I know there are auctions happening currently for new frequencies to be used on them. And I know or I think all three do have some (more or less) midband now. This is what my life has come to lol. I got excited to read US Cellular was putting up 5g here but then read it was only low band!! Grrr!! Thank you for letting me rant. Idk how Apple will implement this but I better not be disappointed.

Note: NO Z Flip 5g for me. My wallet thanks me also. Now its down to the note ultra and iPhone 12. I dare to say googles next phone ehhh maybe.

Feedback Score
    I will wait for coverage and lower prices. I'm sorry I do not bleed on the edge, I have never thought it prudent to waste money on the "latest" only to be first.

4G LTE is fine for me at this point.
    In a couple years the internet will get "fatter" and 4G will be as "fast" as 3G now.

I note that the content increases as bandwidth increases.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Thank you but I am asking more towards those who have or will purchase a 5g phone. Depending on phone some can be future proof maybe for a year. Tech like DSS LAA (what is it? beam forming etc. I know Verizon doesn’t have much mmwave now or any low band (but they say they will) AT&T is in the same boat as Verizon when it comes to high band but much less transplant. Tmobile is the same and the latters have low band. But will other techs or advances convince people to buy phones especially the iPhone 12. How do you convince iPhone lovers much like myself not to buy them? Btw I agree with all of you. I’m not buying any phones this year unless carriers improve deployment of 5g in my city by the end of the year. What I will do is payoff my current phones (as I don’t sell or do trade ins) so that I’m clear to make an upgrade at the right time. And btw what’s really the point on low band 5g? I means it’s no better than LTE. I tried it on Tmobile with the note 10 5g and it was no improvement over LTE. Is DSS suppose to improve speeds on low band so it’ll be a bit faster? This goes back to my original question. What tech like DSS and LAA etc convince or has convinced those to buy an 5g phone? Is it better camera systems? More ram? Form factor? Etc. I mean just take a look at the Z Flip and the Z flip 5g Some improvements over the original but not much. Plus it seems it’s only being sold unlocked and on Tmobile and AT&T. I guess Verizon will gets it’s on later on as I read an article that it would not support Verizon’s 5g. Mind blowing!! Why not include Verizon’s 5g originally? The article doesn’t mention At&T and T-Mobile’s high band. Only their low band and I think mid band (maybe just for Tmobile? ). To go off topic a bit, how hard would it take for manufacturers and carriers to include all bands ( low mid high) that they are or will use (Verizon low band) THIS year for phones coming out by the end of THIS year? And as more 5g rolls out your phones will just work on their 5g networks by the end of the year as I know there will be new bands 5g will be available next year etc. As to punch myself in the face, MAYBE NOT midband as I know there are auctions happening currently for new frequencies to be used on them. And I know or I think all three do have some (more or less) midband now. This is what my life has come to lol. I got excited to read US Cellular was putting up 5g here but then read it was only low band!! Grrr!! Thank you for letting me rant. Idk how Apple will implement this but I better not be disappointed.

Note: NO Z Flip 5g for me. My wallet thanks me also. Now it’s down to the note ultra and iPhone 12. I dare to say google’s next phone ehhh maybe.

Sorry, your question was confusing.

Otherwise, did not read the wall of text.

Feedback Score
    ...did not read the wall of text.
    This exactly x100.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, your question was confusing.

Otherwise, did not read the wall of text.
    Wow. Okay

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I guess bigger battery

Sent from my SM-T290 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The reason I'd buy a 5G phone is to be somewhat more "future proof". My main carrier, T-Mobile, is very fond of chasing the newest shiny thing and has a history of depreciating last year's technology to the point of abandonment. Since, at this point, 6G doesn't look to be any more than a long-range (10 year) plan, we may actually keep 5G around for a while.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I love my keyboard phones; so that limits my selection quite a bit, probably right now to zero. The BlackBerry KeyOne I've got, RAM is fine, storage is fine, plenty of CPU power, screen is fine, battery life is quite good, camera is good. All I'd like is (theoretically) newer Android; Verizon-model KeyOne is limited to Android 7.1 (I say theoretically because I have not seen some feature in Android 8 or 9 that I specifically am missing. But having an up-to-date Android device is nice.)

If I got one, I'd want it to support some variety of 5G bands so when band 2, 4/66, 5, etc. get 5G up (either standalone or DSS) I'll have a device that can use them (probably want a mmwave band or 2 as well I suppose).