Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Core Unlimited 8mbps

Feedback Score

Cricket Core Unlimited 8mbps

Looks like at some point a few months ago they changed the language so it says the Core Unlimited plan is capped at 8mbps vs 3. Nice!

Unfortunately I tried a few speed tests and mine still seems to sit around 3mbps. Did they just change the language and forget to raise the cap? Or something I need to do to reset the settings on my phone?

Feedback Score
    If you are on the Cricket Core Plan or Cricket More Plan, your data speeds may be temporarily slowed if the network is busy. As always, actual speeds may vary by location and device. - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...ited-data.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    If you are on the Cricket Core Plan or Cricket More Plan, your data speeds may be temporarily slowed if the network is busy. As always, actual speeds may vary by location and device. - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...ited-data.html
    ok yes but have others been getting 8mbps on the Core plan now? just curious

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score

Cricket Core Unlimited 8mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    ok yes but have others been getting 8mbps on the Core plan now? just curious
    My family is on the core plan. We are still reduced to the old 3 Mb a second. I wonder if there’s a way that we can get re-provisioned for the 8 Mb a second speed cap. The cell site we are on is perfectly capable of the faster speed. I did a speed test during the day on my grandmas postpaid iPhone X when she visited and I got 65 meg down.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using HoFo

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't rely on the speed test app to test speeds. Cricket/att are throttling. I get crappy speeds in the app (2-3 mbps down,1-3 up). But running a test over vpn, or just using fast.com results in close to 8 mbps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I wouldn't rely on the speed test app to test speeds. Cricket/att are throttling. I get crappy speeds in the app (2-3 mbps down,1-3 up). But running a test over vpn, or just using fast.com results in close to 8 mbps.

This is what I got when I did a speed test at home on cellular

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would be interesting to see if you get similar results through a vpn. Where's im at (chicago suburbs), speedtest are slow, browser is fast, and speedtest through vpn is fast. I'm testing with opera for android. Not sure if browser makes a difference... 8 mbps is pretty slow to begin with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Looks like at some point a few months ago they changed the language so it says the Core Unlimited plan is capped at 8mbps vs 3. Nice!

Unfortunately I tried a few speed tests and mine still seems to sit around 3mbps. Did they just change the language and forget to raise the cap? Or something I need to do to reset the settings on my phone?
    The change was about a week ago—some people think your billing cycle has to reset or your phone power-cycled to get the change. I brought my line back shortly after the change and it's been bumped up for me (consistently 3Mbps before, now 5-8Mbps depending on the speed test app used).

Ookla's Speedtest.net app seem to be acting a bit weird and inconsistent with Cricket lately, which has caused some confusion. Keep in mind that Fast.com also tests against Netflix servers, which means Stream More may be kicking in to skew the numbers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    The change was about a week ago—some people think your billing cycle has to reset or your phone power-cycled to get the change. I brought my line back shortly after the change and it's been bumped up for me (consistently 3Mbps before, now 5-8Mbps depending on the speed test app used).

Ookla's Speedtest.net app seem to be acting a bit weird and inconsistent with Cricket lately, which has caused some confusion. Keep in mind that Fast.com also tests against Netflix servers, which means Stream More may be kicking in to skew the numbers.
    I looked at the plan we are on and it looks like we are on the old 3 mbps plan by being grandfatherd in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    I looked at the plan we are on and it looks like we are on the old 3 mbps plan by being grandfatherd in.
    Core should've upgraded to 8Mbps automatically, but if it's the old Unlimited 3Mbps plan (the one with no deprioritization before 22GB), they're keeping that at 3Mbps and grandfathering. As if we needed more ways for Cricket to make their various unlimited plans more confusing and awkward to talk about.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Core should've upgraded to 8Mbps automatically, but if it's the old Unlimited 3Mbps plan (the one with no deprioritization before 22GB), they're keeping that at 3Mbps and grandfathering. As if we needed more ways for Cricket to make their various unlimited plans more confusing and awkward to talk about.
    On the plans screen it shows the option for the new upgraded plan separately but with same price. Will it auto upgrade to new plan when the bill is paid and a new cycle begins?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    We upgraded to the new plan and speeds are better.

Feedback Score
    On the plans screen it shows the option for the new upgraded plan separately but with same price. Will it auto upgrade to new plan when the bill is paid and a new cycle begins?
    If you were on the old (pre-August 2019) 3Mbps plan (they didn't call it anything besides Unlimited), you'd be grandfathered and have to make the change yourself to Core. If you're on Core (August 2019 and onward), that should automatically get the 8Mbps speeds—not sure if it was immediate or on the next billing cycle, but all the lines on my account changed over.

If you're looking at the app, they seem to have forgotten to update the text there—the iOS app got the update 2 days ago and shows it now.

I think if you saw the change after "upgrading," you probably were on the older plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you were on the old (pre-August 2019) 3Mbps plan (they didn't call it anything besides Unlimited), you'd be grandfathered and have to make the change yourself to Core. If you're on Core (August 2019 and onward), that should automatically get the 8Mbps speeds—not sure if it was immediate or on the next billing cycle, but all the lines on my account changed over.

If you're looking at the app, they seem to have forgotten to update the text there—the iOS app got the update 2 days ago and shows it now.

I think if you saw the change after "upgrading," you probably were on the older plan.
    We were customers pre august 2019 I believe.

Feedback Score
    We were customers pre august 2019 I believe.
    This sums up some of the changes fairly well when they did it last year: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/cri...-cricket-core/

Basically, the old plan would deprioritize after 22GB, Core would do it immediately. Some people held on to the old one because of that, but functionally, most didn't seem to notice the change. I had to add a line back in February and the only way to get 4/$100 was to move all lines to Core and we didn't see any noticeable difference in our area. With the changes last week, anyone with that plan got the update automatically.

As I've said in many places, Cricket hasn't done themselves any favors with plan naming over the years:

Higher-tier plans: Unlimited (8Mbps) -> renamed Unlimited Max (8Mbps) -> Unlimited Extra (No Limit) -> More (No Limit)
    Lower-tier plans: Unlimited 2 (3Mbps) -> renamed Unlimited (3Mbps) -> Core (3Mbps->8Mbps)

Other than this most recent change for Core and when the plans got renamed, you'd have to consciously make the change from one to the next since there were some subtle differences.

Then again, AT&T has also made their unlimited plan names awkward and confusing, so I'm not really surprised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast