Thread: Total Wireless and their BYOP on a retired T1114 hotspot, maybe?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless and their BYOP on a retired T1114 hotspot, maybe?

A while ago, maybe mid 2019, I fired up my retired Novatel T1114 from my VZW days, mostly to keep the battery topped off. Decided that if things turn sour where I reside, maybe I could look into using the T1114 on Total Wireless. It was purchased via cash up front at a VZW store and hadn't been used for about 4 years other than charging the battery and VZW isn't asking for obligations on it. Chatted with Total Wireless online chat support and was told that it should be able to be activated once I change the SIM card to a TW BYOP card. Thanked the support person and closed up the idea as future reference.

Fast forward to last week, and now I might need to relocate, so lets revisit the idea. Bought a BYOP sim card, took the T1114 apart, swapped the sim card from VZW out and the Total Wireless BYOP sim into it. Booted the T1114, no issues displayed, old phone number is not displayed, so lets get into the chat session with Total Wireless and see what the word is about getting it activated. The new word from chat support is nope, cannot activate the device. I mentioned to the chat person that this was already told to me as being possible, please look further. They checked their 'tier 1 support' and the word remained nope, cannot be activated.

I can probably live without the T1114 since I already have TW on a hot spot capable phone (LG Fiesta 2), but for now, I'd rather have 2 devices and 2 plans to be safe in the event the next residence needs cell data to provide me my internet. And the T1114 supports external directional antennas so a plus if I need more cell signal. Try that on a mobile phone!

Anyone have any experience doing a 'bring your own T1114 hotspot' onto Total Wireless? Or another prepaid service? Thanks, in advance.

Feedback Score
    Total Wireless does not appear to support data only devices. To activate with a TW BYOP SIM would require a VoLTE device, which your T1114 is not. You might be able to run one with an already activated BYOP SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmna View Post
    A while ago, maybe mid 2019, I fired up my retired Novatel T1114 from my VZW days, mostly to keep the battery topped off. Decided that if things turn sour where I reside, maybe I could look into using the T1114 on Total Wireless. It was purchased via cash up front at a VZW store and hadn't been used for about 4 years other than charging the battery and VZW isn't asking for obligations on it. Chatted with Total Wireless online chat support and was told that it should be able to be activated once I change the SIM card to a TW BYOP card. Thanked the support person and closed up the idea as future reference. Fast forward to last week, and now I might need to relocate, so lets revisit the idea. Bought a BYOP sim card, took the T1114 apart, swapped the sim card from VZW out and the Total Wireless BYOP sim into it. Booted the T1114, no issues displayed, old phone number is not displayed, so lets get into the chat session with Total Wireless and see what the word is about getting it activated. The new word from chat support is nope, cannot activate the device. I mentioned to the chat person that this was already told to me as being possible, please look further. They checked their 'tier 1 support' and the word remained nope, cannot be activated. I can probably live without the T1114 since I already have TW on a hot spot capable phone (LG Fiesta 2), but for now, I'd rather have 2 devices and 2 plans to be safe in the event the next residence needs cell data to provide me my internet. And the T1114 supports external directional antennas so a plus if I need more cell signal. Try that on a mobile phone! Anyone have any experience doing a 'bring your own T1114 hotspot' onto Total Wireless? Or another prepaid service? Thanks, in advance.
    you can try activating your hotspot - https://www.totalwireless.com/ see under current customers near the bottom of the page (activate my hotspot)

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Total Wireless does not appear to support data only devices. To activate with a TW BYOP SIM would require a VoLTE device, which your T1114 is not. You might be able to run one with an already activated BYOP SIM.
    The T1114 is a 4G hotspot broadband router with voice - is that not VoLTE?

Feedback Score
    The T1114 is a 4G hotspot broadband router with voice - is that not VoLTE?
    Think the voice portion of this unit is more like VoIP. VoLTE uses a special channel within LTE called IMS, while VoIP uses the Internet. Not all 4G LTE devices are capable of VoLTE. It was introduced on the Tracfone network 2 years ago.

You don't need VoLTE to run something on VoIP, but you do need a VoLTE device to activate the SIM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not to be argumentative, just trying to get a clear understanding.

When I used it on VZW, it had a phone number assigned to it, I simply never used the voice service and only used it as data..

VZW sold it to me, activated it right in front of me and I then used it for almost a year, on their network, with their SIM. They activated it without removing their SIM from it - that SIM is behind torx screws. I do not recall if they connected anything to it other than the power. So, naturally, any thinking that it can't be activated by deciding it isn't capable of VoLTE leaves me asking: "Well, then, exactly how did VZW activate it"?

As for Tracfone just getting VoLTE capability, that seems moot, they have it now, and a prior chat session with Total Wireless support (2019...) did say they could activate it.

Really, I was just wondering if anyone had done this before. So I can fight the lower tier TW support people into stepping up their game.
    Last edited by mmmmna; 08-08-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Clarified intentions for the discussion.

Feedback Score
    So, naturally, any thinking that it can't be activated by deciding it isn't capable of VoLTE leaves me asking: "Well, then, exactly how did VZW activate it"?

As for Tracfone just getting VoLTE capability, that seems moot, they have it now, and a prior chat session with Total Wireless support (2019...) did say they could activate it.
    When you first activated it on VZW they did not have a VoLTE requirement. Later made more complicated by them changing the cutoff date for new activations to give their own customers more time to comply. There never was an official timetable for the MVNO customers. You could not get answers from the Tracfone companies. Sometimes they would even disclaim there was VoLTE. It was a big mess!

There were other devices affected by the VoLTE requirement like wireless home phones. A number of users of these on Straight Talk reported having to replace their older devices.