Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cheap plans coming soon

Feedback Score

cheap plans coming soon

i have heard from a reliable source boost will soon offer talk and text

plus 1GB data for $10/month
    plus 2GB for $15/month
    plus 5GB for $25/month

i believe these plans not qualify for the usual free and discounted phone offers and also will pay virtually nothing to dealers which is not good for their futures and unfortunately will likely mean some dealers will either flat out refuse to offer them or slam fake activation fees.

Feedback Score
    official launch is August 7th

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score
    There goes the $35 plan with 3GB and unlimited music streaming.

Also, by the way it looks, the plans on the expanded under $50 are hard capped while on the nationwide network, the 3GB plans have at least 2g speed data throttling after the high speed amount is used. Just an observation.

Feedback Score
    These are the new plans.

https://www.boostmobile.com/expanded...ans:PhonePlans

$35 10GB
    $25 5GB New Cust. Only
    $15 2GB New In-Store Cust. Only
    $10 1GB New In-Store Cust. Only

It does not seem to say anything about what happens when you use up your data. I assume once you use up your data it is cutoff on both the phone and hotspot but it does not say. They seem to be stingy on data after the merger.

Note that some say "New In-Store Cust. Only" and "New Cust. Only".

Requiring going to a store is an inconvenient restriction for many.

Not sure what the requirement is for being a new customer. Assume you currently have a boost phone but want one of these plans if you get a new phone and open a new account does that qualify as new.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    These are the new plans.

https://www.boostmobile.com/expanded...ans:PhonePlans

$35 10GB
    $25 5GB New Cust. Only
    $15 2GB New In-Store Cust. Only
    $10 1GB New In-Store Cust. Only

It does not seem to say anything about what happens when you use up your data. I assume once you use up your data it is cutoff on both the phone and hotspot but it does not say. They seem to be stingy on data after the merger.

Note that some say "New In-Store Cust. Only" and "New Cust. Only".

Requiring going to a store is an inconvenient restriction for many.

Not sure what the requirement is for being a new customer. Assume you currently have a boost phone but want one of these plans if you get a new phone and open a new account does that qualify as new.
    hard capped

its in-store only AND the dealers earn virtually nothing on those cheaper plans compared to what they earn on the higher priced one. that's essentially screwing over the dealers. i would of hoped if they don't wish to pay dealer a fair commission to activate them they would allow self activation's online. the explanation is they want to attract the customers marketing the cheap plans and have the dealers under pressure to push the customers to something higher priced to avoid large number on the cheap plans.

also the new cust. part is BS, existing customers will either port out and back in or just take a new phone number

Feedback Score
    Requiring in store purchase during the coronavirus pandemic is not too bright.

To me it seems like they don't want people to buy the new cheaper plans.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    hard capped

its in-store only AND the dealers earn virtually nothing on those cheaper plans compared to what they earn on the higher priced one. that's essentially screwing over the dealers. i would of hoped if they don't wish to pay dealer a fair commission to activate them they would allow self activation's online. the explanation is they want to attract the customers marketing the cheap plans and have the dealers under pressure to push the customers to something higher priced to avoid large number on the cheap plans.

also the new cust. part is BS, existing customers will either port out and back in or just take a new phone number
    This sounds like addition by subtraction. They will get rid of dealers who aren't making money since they won't be making money on these plans, but they can say that the plans were there to try and drive more people to their stores. If existing customers are upset, they'll let them leave and hope to attract new customers. Companies want to shift away from cheap prepaid plans that are profitable for them to more expensive ones that are more profitable for them. but we have more and more phones that are cheaper like the Pixel 4a, iPhone SE and OnePlus Nord, that will soon be in the US, that will allow people to not be under any contract and go to whoever has the best deal. I get what the new Boost is trying to do, because it's an old trick. But I don't know that it will work as well for them as they think it will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    This sounds like addition by subtraction. They will get rid of dealers who aren't making money since they won't be making money on these plans, but they can say that the plans were there to try and drive more people to their stores. If existing customers are upset, they'll let them leave and hope to attract new customers. Companies want to shift away from cheap prepaid plans that are profitable for them to more expensive ones that are more profitable for them. but we have more and more phones that are cheaper like the Pixel 4a, iPhone SE and OnePlus Nord, that will soon be in the US, that will allow people to not be under any contract and go to whoever has the best deal. I get what the new Boost is trying to do, because it's an old trick. But I don't know that it will work as well for them as they think it will.

if it works or not depends on the goal

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...epaid-business

above article sounds like DISH wants to shift the customer base, thing is the current dealer model may not adapt well with this 'other' prepaid customer market. for me the confusing part is why they don't offer the cheapest plans online and for big box phone purchases, etc. what they are doing is they are going to drive customers into stores they do not want to go to and where they will not always be welcomed as they should since those dealers need to make a profit beyond what these cheapest plan will provide to them.

i actually think the new plans are great but should either be 'online activation only' or pay the dealers at least a little but more than they do, they also should be available for existing customers to switch too(or the long time loyal customer base feels alienated or ripped off) the big prepaid companies(boost, metro and cricket) keep giving better deals to new customers but less and less to the existing ones.

Feedback Score

above article sounds like DISH wants to shift the customer base, thing is the current dealer model may not adapt well with this 'other' prepaid customer market. for me the confusing part is why they don't offer the cheapest plans online and for big box phone purchases, etc. what they are doing is they are going to drive customers into stores they do not want to go to and where they will not always be welcomed as they should since those dealers need to make a profit beyond what these cheapest plan will provide to them.

i actually think the new plans are great but should either be 'online activation only' or pay the dealers at least a little but more than they do, they also should be available for existing customers to switch too(or the long time loyal customer base feels alienated or ripped off) the big prepaid companies(boost, metro and cricket) keep giving better deals to new customers but less and less to the existing ones.
    I never understood why people would go to a phone store. I think it is mostly new people that know nothing about cell phones because it only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get one either online or at a store like target which is a lot easier and faster.

I bought many phones at target and in my opinion that is a very easy place to get a phone. You can also buy a phone and get it activated in minutes. There also is no pressure to buy the phone.

Metro pushed buying phones in the store and I might have bought one of their phones and tried their service if not for that policy.

For me it is inconvenient to go to a phone only store and there is little reason for me to want to do that.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Years ago when Boost was switching from iDen to CDMA phones, the CDMA phones were only going to the place like RadioShack and Target. Because people wanted those phones for picture messaging and data, they'd walk out of the Boost branded stores and a number of them went out of business. At that time, some of the dealers who went out of business wanted to get together to file a class action lawsuit against Boost over this practice. After that, Boost started changing their dealer agreements annually and forced dealers to sign or stop selling. Ever since prepaid stopped allowing dealers to make an upfront profit on each sale, and kept looking to have a single dealer that owned every store in a market, things haven't been as good as they should be in prepaid.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I never understood why people would go to a phone store. I think it is mostly new people that know nothing about cell phones because it only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get one either online or at a store like target which is a lot easier and faster.

I bought many phones at target and in my opinion that is a very easy place to get a phone. You can also buy a phone and get it activated in minutes. There also is no pressure to buy the phone.

Metro pushed buying phones in the store and I might have bought one of their phones and tried their service if not for that policy.

For me it is inconvenient to go to a phone only store and there is little reason for me to want to do that.
    I used to run phone some Boost stores, and I would never go to a phone store for service in the US again, regardless of my carrier. I can get by on "budget" phones or last year's model(s) just fine, and would rather pay for my phone up front than to pay extra per month. I'd also never go into a store and pay all of the fees or be told that I have to have an overpriced case and other accessories I don't need. I think with the pandemic, and that the new budget phones that many will want not being in stores, that a lot of people have learned they don't really need a store to get things done.

The biggest thing that a store is good for is to get something now instead of later. I think that will be a reason why some stores stick around. But as more people get comfortable doing things online, or the more people are forced to not do things in stores, more and more will find phone stores to be somewhat obsolete.

Feedback Score
    The biggest thing that a store is good for is to get something now instead of later. I think that will be a reason why some stores stick around. But as more people get comfortable doing things online, or the more people are forced to not do things in stores, more and more will find phone stores to be somewhat obsolete.
    I don't think boost even has phones at target anymore.

However, I know target has other prepaid brands so if I needed a new prepaid phone fast I would see what target, Walmart, etc. has available.

And if you can wait a little longer you can order most prepaid phones online in a few days.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I don't think boost even has phones at target anymore.

However, I know target has other prepaid brands so if I needed a new prepaid phone fast I would see what target, Walmart, etc. has available.

And if you can wait a little longer you can order most prepaid phones online in a few days.
    One can also check Amazon and see how soon they can get a phone on Prime as well. My OnePlus 7 Pro came via eBay for under $300. I always recommend having an extra phone around just in case your main phone breaks. That way you can still have service until your new phone arrives.

Feedback Score
    There used to be better service in the retail stores. Friend of mine bought two $1000 iPhones from a Verizon corporate store and they did not even do a service activation transfer. They hand you a box and expect you to do these things. She looked at that, and went back the next day to insist they do the activation. The Authorized Retailers are even worse.

Earlier in this forum there was discussion about the problem with BYOD at Boost. The TN SIMS were not available online, and you had to take your phone to a retail store for activation. Not sure if that has changed.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not sure how these stores are, but when I went to a Cricket store, they are about the higher plans. Certain phones "required" a higher plan (like $55 at the time). You could not just pick any phone and try to get a $30 plan.

These sub $30 plans which require an instore visit seem to be a dealer killer.

I would love to get the $10 plan, but I dont want to go into a store. I have a brain and can pay for a phone. I don't require much hand-holding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast