Thread: When will they leave the towers alone

Feedback Score

When will they leave the towers alone

For a long Long time, we had AMPS and things were left alone. THen we had GSM / EDGE and things were left alone, then we got 3G and everyone since then has raced to come out with LTE and put LTE on different bands and now carriers are ACTUALLY considering gonig VoLTE only which in my opinion is not reliable. They actually want to sunset 3G UMTS which had a pretty short run. what about people who buy a 3 or 4 year old flagship instead of a modern midrange phone because lets face it those flagships usually have a better build quality and specs even when compared to modern midrange phones.

are they ever going to just leave a technology be and let it propagate and get stagnant

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    When people stop demanding ever increasing speeds from their devices? As long as phone calls were the major product and they were metered, 2G could pretty well handle the load. Once the iPhone came along and everyone discovered mobile data, there's been no end to the increasing demand. Unlimited data plans just make the situation worse. So far, I have not heard any rumblings of 6G, so we may get a breather at 5G.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The question is, will we need new phones once 5g becomes the norm or will the 4g LTE devices still be useful alongside 5g?

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    The question is, will we need new phones once 5g becomes the norm or will the 4g LTE devices still be useful alongside 5g?.....
    Since I tend to keep phones for 5 or 6 years, I wouldn't buy a new phone without 5G capability.

Feedback Score
    New programs (video, audio, games etc.) supposedly "higher in quality" come more bloated so demand more resources & are larger in download size. Most people can't tell the difference between 720p & 1080p. The only perceptible difference being the 720p file is 40% of the size of the 1080p file.

Until this purposeful nonsense stops higher speeds will always be demanded.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    .......Until this purposeful nonsense stops higher speeds will always be demanded.
    T-Mobile handles this by throttling video downloads, thereby forcing lower resolution. Still, demand keeps outstripping supply.

Feedback Score
    The question is, will we need new phones once 5g becomes the norm or will the 4g LTE devices still be useful alongside 5g?
    Many will want a 5G phone when it becomes the norm. I expect that will be several years. During the transition 4G and 5G will coexist much as 3G and 4G have for the past several years.

The current crop of 5G phones are expensive and won't be fully compatible with what 5G will become. I don't buy expensive phones to jam in my pocket with the coins and keys. I can wait for value priced models in a year or so.

This isn't like digital TV where the old system was turned off overnight.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Many will want a 5G phone when it becomes the norm. I expect that will be several years. During the transition 4G and 5G will coexist much as 3G and 4G have for the past several years.

The current crop of 5G phones are expensive and won't be fully compatible with what 5G will become. I don't buy expensive phones to jam in my pocket with the coins and keys. I can wait for value priced models in a year or so.

This isn't like digital TV where the old system was turned off overnight.
    Right, I intend to wait til the 5g phones are more prevalent and lower priced before trying one. I just wondered if they'd try to convince people they needed 5g to keep their service, but hope it does just exist as an option alongside 4g for years to come.

I'm looking at getting a reasonably priced unlocked phone that works on the major carriers and their MVNOs, don't want to worry about 5g too along with the other requisites besides VoLTE.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Most people can't tell the difference between 720p & 1080p. .
    I thought I was the only one.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .... I'm looking at getting a reasonably priced unlocked phone that works on the major carriers and their MVNOs, don't want to worry about 5g too along with the other requisites besides VoLTE. ....
    That's going to be an interesting study on bands and standards. n257-n261, n77-79, n41, n71, n5, n2, etc, etc.