Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68

Thread: Verizon says to expect a lot of noise about 5G in the 2nd half of 2020

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,460
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I didn't assume anything. I quoted the poster who said it would be a pipe dream for "most Americans". Starlink will not be available to "most Americans" since "most Americans" live in populated areas. Then, I quoted Elon Musk who said Starlink would not work well in populated areas.

    If Starlink were available with low latency and high speeds and for $50 month like Musk originally predicted, a lot of people in populated areas would indeed choose to go with them.

    You said a while back you were putting me on "ignore". Please follow through with that. Your constant looking for something wrong with everyone's post is getting tiresome. Either that, or get a life.
    You know I wasn't trashing you or anything. Just making a statement. There is ZERO reason to be butthurt about my comment. I'm not sure why you are so sensitive to others comments. But that's a YOU problem not a THEM problem. Seriously please explain what was wrong with my comment that you chose to be a **** in response? I 100% guarantee you can't point a single legit thing out that is wrong. for whatever reason you don't like me so ANYTHING I say is going to trigger you. I could say 2+2=4 and you'd have a conniption of some reason. I said NOTHNG wrong, NOTHING

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You know I wasn't trashing you or anything. Just making a statement. There is ZERO reason to be butthurt about my comment. I'm not sure why you are so sensitive to others comments. But that's a YOU problem not a THEM problem. Seriously please explain what was wrong with my comment that you chose to be a **** in response? I 100% guarantee you can't point a single legit thing out that is wrong. for whatever reason you don't like me so ANYTHING I say is going to trigger you. I could say 2+2=4 and you'd have a conniption of some reason. I said NOTHNG wrong, NOTHING
    Wow, I'm not sure why you are so sensitive to my comments. No reason for you to be, I wasn't trashing you or anything. I simply told you I wasn't assuming anything, after you accused me of assuming something. I don't like you because you are an internet bully who is constantly making snarky remarks to others who don't agree with your point of view.

    So, put me on ignore, like you promised to do before and failed to follow through on.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,993
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I didn't assume anything. I quoted the poster who said it would be a pipe dream for "most Americans". Starlink will not be available to "most Americans" since "most Americans" live in populated areas. Then, I quoted Elon Musk who said Starlink would not work well in populated areas.

    If Starlink were available with low latency and high speeds and for $50 month like Musk originally predicted, a lot of people in populated areas would indeed choose to go with them....
    I did not intend to say that Starlink alone would be be a pipe dream for most Americans. I missed the "most Americans" part of what I was replying to. My feelings were not hurt that you pointed out that The Musk himself says it will not service high population density areas. I must have missed that in what I had previously read about the service.

    Correct and useful information is more important to me than winning pedantic forum arguments.

    There is an update on the Starlink story today:

    https://arstechnica.com/information-...rom-1-million/

    Starlink was only licensed for 1 million subscriber terminals. They are asking to increase that to 5 million. Still saying they won't be able to service many in urban areas. They don't have the throughput capacity.

    They are planning to start operations in Fall 2020. They plan 12,000 satellites, but only have 540 up so far.

    1 million US subscribers, 5 million US subscribers, or what they can plausibly get to is trivial compared to what cable and cellular have. It appears it is going to be a niche service. For folks who live where they can't get anything other than Hugh's satellite it could be quite nice. It could cover areas of the country that no one else will with service much better than Hugh's.

    The outdoor antenna and getting it wired into the house is a big impediment to adopt it for people with other attractive options. I won't be buying it.

    The pricing should be better if they are able to sell the service in other countries as well. Otherwise, the satellites would be mostly idle except over the US.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,525
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Folks, stick to the forum topic and stop with negative, personal attacks. If it continues, I see pending thread edits and possible posting vacations. This is the first warning. Enough said.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,665
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's 2020, and many people still don't have a choice in ISP's. It's not like Fiber or Satellite Internet are new technologies. The next emerging technology is "only a few more years away."

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    It's 2020, and many people still don't have a choice in ISP's. It's not like Fiber or Satellite Internet are new technologies. The next emerging technology is "only a few more years away."
    I agree. I've been hearing about 5g for years now and it'll be a few more years before it is available as an everyday technology for much of the country.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,993
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    It's 2020, and many people still don't have a choice in ISP's. It's not like Fiber or Satellite Internet are new technologies. The next emerging technology is "only a few more years away."
    I have had both cable and FIOS available to choose from for about ten years. They both perform and cost about the same. Two is not enough to spur competition.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,753
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Even when it does come it won't be everywhere. Look at Chicago which was the first mobile 5G city. While coverage there has expanded since it launched in April 2019 it still only covers a small portion of the city. Maybe what 10% and that's after 15 months
    Fully covering metro areas with mmwave will take 7-10 years. They just started adding repeaters for mmwave to increase coverage and when they dominate the C-band auction they'll be able to take that into non metro areas. Rome wasn't built in a day but once it was built it was there for centuries.

    Meanwhile those with only a couple of hundred mhz of sub 6 bandwidth will still only have a couple of hundred mhz of sub 6 no matter how they spin it.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,753
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why is that? Because it may never be fully operational?

    If it does go fully operational, it will cover the entire country except Alaska. The satellites will fly over all areas without regard to to NIMBYs stopping towers for coverage and without regard for the terrestrial profitability of covering sparsely populated areas.

    However, it is not mobile phone service. It requires an outside antenna about the size of a pizza box.
    And that pizza box sized antenna requires a motor to track the satellites as they fly by and then pick up the next one. Winds are going to play havoc with those. If those don't work correctly because they were installed wrong service is going to be a nightmare and I imagine Musk is going to sub out installs like Dish and Directv did.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,993
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    And that pizza box sized antenna requires a motor to track the satellites as they fly by and then pick up the next one. Winds are going to play havoc with those. If those don't work correctly because they were installed wrong service is going to be a nightmare and I imagine Musk is going to sub out installs like Dish and Directv did.
    The motors are used to point the panel to the basic plane of the satellite signal. The phased array antenna panel tracks the satellite signal electronically without moving.

    I assume these things will be pointed basically up. I wonder how they will deal with snow and ice.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I did not intend to say that Starlink alone would be be a pipe dream for most Americans. I missed the "most Americans" part of what I was replying to. My feelings were not hurt that you pointed out that The Musk himself says it will not service high population density areas. I must have missed that in what I had previously read about the service.

    Correct and useful information is more important to me than winning pedantic forum arguments.

    There is an update on the Starlink story today:

    https://arstechnica.com/information-...rom-1-million/

    Starlink was only licensed for 1 million subscriber terminals. They are asking to increase that to 5 million. Still saying they won't be able to service many in urban areas. They don't have the throughput capacity.

    They are planning to start operations in Fall 2020. They plan 12,000 satellites, but only have 540 up so far.

    1 million US subscribers, 5 million US subscribers, or what they can plausibly get to is trivial compared to what cable and cellular have. It appears it is going to be a niche service. For folks who live where they can't get anything other than Hugh's satellite it could be quite nice. It could cover areas of the country that no one else will with service much better than Hugh's.

    The outdoor antenna and getting it wired into the house is a big impediment to adopt it for people with other attractive options. I won't be buying it.

    The pricing should be better if they are able to sell the service in other countries as well. Otherwise, the satellites would be mostly idle except over the US.
    One thing they couldn’t have planned for was the pandemic and the changing landscape of the workforce in the United States. Articles are appearing indicating a significant percentage of the workforce want to to move to more rural areas rather than work in the city or suburbs. We see these folks all the time scouting our rural area and real estate is selling briskly. I feel Starlink is going to go a long way facilitating that rural movement.
    Last edited by Peterfield; 08-07-2020 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0
    5G is now official in San Jose

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    549
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwtgt View Post
    5G is now official in San Jose

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    But not in Raleigh


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,460
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    But not in Raleigh


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    at least 24 more cities to be announced before the end of the year. By the way according to the experts 5G wasn't even supposed to be taking off until 2021 or 2022 anyway.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    411
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    at least 24 more cities to be announced before the end of the year. By the way according to the experts 5G wasn't even supposed to be taking off until 2021 or 2022 anyway.
    It will ‘take off’ next year etc but I want a taste of it now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2019, 04:48 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 02:29 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks