Thread: Verizon Postpaid Note 8 "Incompatible" IMEI

Feedback Score

Question Verizon Postpaid Note 8 "Incompatible" IMEI

Hello you HoFos

I hope this is the right place I searched for a good place to post but did not see an exact fit.. also searched forums for this topic. could not readily find anything...

The short version:
    ((tl;dr My expensive postpaid note 8 (SM-N950U)Verizon will not work with Verizon based VMNOs or Verizon prepaid now all of a sudden. and i can not get a good "why" answer from any of them. But shows to work with AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, and MetroPCS, Page Plus by entering IMEI in the respective checkers.))

Grab a coffee and relax this one is a bit long.. here's my tale... keep i mind i am not a writer.. LOL pardon my punctuation etc.

Back in December 2019, I was short on money and late on my VZW postpaid bill and they decided to shut me off 3 days before Christmas. I had been late before and they let me ride for up to 2 months.. But not this time.. anyhow I got a little upset and just went and activated my old Note 4 "Total Wireless." Using my son's I phone as the activated phone. I also updated my Note 4 with the Samsung PC to phone utility, i forget the name right now but it was not Kies... It actually added more HD calling features to my note 4. It worked great but the battery life was crap even with a new battery installed... Fast forward to Feb. I got my tax refund and then paid off my son's I phone and my Note 8 from VZW and requested my note 8 be "unlocked." I then put my TW SIM in my Note 8 and it worked flawlessly for 4 days.
    Then one day i noted my "4GLTE" Icon was grayed out. I could make calls but no data... (prob was hitting CDMA backup.) I tried all kinds of recommended APNs but most were 2-3 years old.

I called TW and they asked for my IMEI number.. and returned to say we are sorry but your phone is not compatible with the network. (This is a SM-N950U) Note 8 which i just paid over $355 to pay off and unlock. (Postpaid phone) I attempted to contact VZW to ask if it was unlocked and they told me yes when it is paid off it is automatically unlocked. I had them verify it. Yes unlocked.

I then began to research on the net.. Google returned no results i could use... VZW kept transferring me to other depts going no where. TW had no clue and i could barely understand their English.

I gave in and bought a TW Samsung A20 and that's my daily driver now. I actually love the form factor better than my note but it has not got the CPU power or on phone storage my N8 has. (I have large bass player hands LOL.)

So really the strange part is Verizon will not let me use this Note 8 on the prepaid network/VMNOs yet they can not or will not give a satisfactory reason why. "Its not compatible" is not good enough after spending nearly $1,000 total for this device (which is in like new condition still.)

If i could get an official reason like: "We are sorry but the firmware on that phone is for post paid and will not work on a prepaid network" I would be happy. But it will tip the hand and let me know that VZW prepaid and VMNO customers are second class citizens i think.

I totally get that the software could be different and that the postpaid may have more features they can't lock down, etc..

The funny part is that I think they control access with the IMEI alone now.

I remember back when if your phone busted and on AT&T, u could buy a cheap "go phone" and swap SIMS and keep going...
    I am prob out of date on how this all works.. since the CDMA/GSM stuff is changing to straight data.

Here's the kicker my IMEI shows it will work fine with: Page Plus, T-Mobile, Metro PCS, AT&T, Cricket.. only prob is VZW is the best carrier here in my rural area (they have 3 towers here in the parish/county) so its a no brainier to use that network. I do not know which network Page Plus runs on though. the 5mb cap does not bother me as i am on 100mbit wifi 90% of my day.

Ok if you made it this far with my ADHD writing, congrats! Maybe someone here has been thru this before.

Thanks for reading I hope someone can explain this to me.

Have a great day!
    Rick

P.S. Howard has no Note 8 Avatar!! Or one I could find. its a conspiracy!! J/K
    Last edited by SignWave; 07-26-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added the P.S.

Feedback Score
    PPC is Vzw, just like TW.

However, the problem may be with the firmware of your Note 8, possibly having to do with Vzw firmware vs Universal.

If that's correct, hopefully someone that knows the details will come along and explain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    PPC is Vzw, just like TW.

However, the problem may be with the firmware of your Note 8, possibly having to do with Vzw firmware vs Universal.

If that's correct, hopefully someone that knows the details will come along and explain.
    Thanks for your reply Boz1

My thoughts exactly. But every MVNO that runs on VZW's towers say NOPE "Your device is not compatible with The network."
    Except PPC. (using the online compatibility tool.)
    I know TW offers a Note for "their network" a N950U1C I suppose its a Firmware thing tied to the IMEI.
    I may gamble and take a chance on a PPC BYOD SIM and see if it really will work.

PPC also offers a Note 8 but does not say what the model number is.
    If I learn any new info I will update this thread.

Have a good one!
    Rick

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If you do get it to work on PPC, you might be able to get the SIM "rebranded," to Total Wireless or Straight Talk - Verizon, later.

That would give you a couple more options.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    Thanks for your reply Boz1 My thoughts exactly. But every MVNO that runs on VZW's towers say NOPE "Your device is not compatible with The network." Except PPC. (using the online compatibility tool.) I know TW offers a Note for "their network" a N950U1C I suppose its a Firmware thing tied to the IMEI. I may gamble and take a chance on a PPC BYOD SIM and see if it really will work. PPC also offers a Note 8 but does not say what the model number is. If I learn any new info I will update this thread. Have a good one! Rick
    what android version is the note 8 (SM-N950U)Verizon running ?? might also try and see if it has the latest firmware update - https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga.../sm-n950u/VZW/