Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TextMe and TextFree app questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Ok another TextFree update.

I just got another TextFree number by signing up with a new email addy.

My reasoning was this time I'd look up the prefixes ("exchange") to see exactly where it was listed as serving because I wanted a particular area (nostalgia, my home town) not just an area code grab bag.

I used a lookup site to determine the exchange locale. It took a while but it allowed me to pick not just area code but town. Link to lookup site....

https://www.area-codes.com/mobile/#a..._prefix_search

TextFree started me off with 60 minutes. I thought it was only 10 free minutes.

It's so easy to earn free minutes and so cheap to buy 100 minutes that it's no sweat there, just have to use the number occasionally to keep it.

Once I get THE perfect number, the right area and easy to remember I'll pay for it monthly as long as their monthly rates don't rise too much.

Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I made my decision to use TextFree. It had so many number choices compared to others.

I was going to change my number on TextNow, but it had a narrow choice between the two area codes I was searching. So, I decided to uninstall it and stick with TextFree.

I got 3 different TextFree numbers, one in my county. It's almost impossible to get free text numbers around the hills where I live so I had to pick them for south county maybe 40 miles away, or across the county line. My GV number is in another county. I want one that's local. But I was able to pick a couple of TextFree numbers in the county where I was born, in my hometown and another town nearby. When I use those numbers it'll be sort've like I went to the beach.

I can either pick one and pay to keep it or I can switch now and then.

It's easy to switch TextFree numbers. Just go into settings and tap the dot dot dot menu. Pick an area code and it pulls up a long list of numbers. I go back and refresh if I don't see the one I want and it keeps dishing more. Eventually some recycle but some disappear. One had the same last four digits as my GV# but it was next county so I passed.

TextNow when I tried to change the number, I went into settings and chose "Release Number." Then it let me pick an area code. But, only 5 numbers were shown at a time. I didn't wait for refresh, I refreshed it but it kept recycling the same numbers. Two were in a town where I already have a number so I decided to pass. I uninstalled the app.

I think I'm done picking numbers for awhile.

Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    TextFree has a 2.99/mo subscription that removes ads, but the 4.99/mo makes more sense since it reserves the number. Their ads aren't that awful anyway in exchange for free service. Name:  Screenshot_TextFree2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  44.8 KB

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I don't know. $4.99x12=$59.88/year. For $60/360 days (or less if on sale), you can get 100/100/500 on your choice of network from Red Pocket eBay. But I guess if you have WiFi always available, actual cellular service might not be as important.

Would it be $7.98/mo for both ad-free and reserve your # on TextFree?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't know. $4.99x12=$59.88/year. For $60/360 days (or less if on sale), you can get 100/100/500 on your choice of network from Red Pocket eBay. But I guess if you have WiFi always available, actual cellular service might not be as important.

Would it be $7.98/mo for both ad-free and reserve your # on TextFree?
    Yes it's 4.99 for reserve number and remove ads, and unlimited talk & text. It would be ok for me because i do most texting and calling here with WiFi present. I have an H20 Sim coming to activate a phone for a pocket dialer if WiFi quits. Also plan on getting an RP SIM off eBay a bit later for same purpose. Their plan for $60/year is cheap for a carry anywhere phone, and minute recharges are cheap. I do most data over wifi so the cheap service will work for me.

Most folks need an anytime anywhere plan but those among us with the covid lock down or just house plants might be able to save some bucks using TextFree in favor of paid service. Of course truly impoverished folks would have a free lifeline phone, most likely, so it wouldn't be for them. Certainly not as a stand alone phone service since Wifi isn't always freely available. But... I like the cheap option.

Sent from my KFMUWI using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's a screenshot of the remove ads & lock down number 4.99 offer with fine print at bottom about payment.

I couldn't figure how to do a screenshot with my Fire 7 so switched devices.

It says unlimited minutes, talk is how I'm interpreting that. But must include texting. Name:  Screenshot_TextFree3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  33.1 KB

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Here's a screenshot of the remove ads & lock down number 4.99 offer with fine print at bottom about payment.

I couldn't figure how to do a screenshot with my Fire 7 so switched devices.

It says unlimited minutes, talk is how I'm interpreting that. But must include texting.
    Unlimited texts have always been free - hence the name. I wouldn't pay anything for the service. It is not THAT good. I'm paying by them littering the screen with ads.

You just have to use your number every 30 days to keep it for free. They have always sent me a text to remind me. I also have a weekly routine that includes making a call and watching a few ads to get some free minutes.

I don't know if you have experienced it yet, but some of the ads will pop up the Play Store to install some dumb game that the ad was for. It's pretty obnoxious. You just have to kill the Play Store app and go back to the Textfree app.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I've watched ads to add minutes, it's like one free talk minute per ad.

The ads are not as bad as the ones in the other free call/text apps I've tried. TextMe was the worst, or at least i found that so.

Not saying I'm going to rush into paying because i can easily get minutes by watching ads, my usage is relatively low. But just saying that 4.99 seems fairly low to keep a good number going should I need it. I might use it enough not to require subscription, but nothing near unlimited.

When my TracFones expire next year, i expect to do most texting and longer calls over Google Voice and Text Free.

My cell services will mainly be low budget H20 Wireless paygo and Red Pocket $60/year, maybe only one of those if I only need it. I'll determine that by my usage, which one serves actual use best for cheapest. With GV and TextFree I can probably live with H20's $10/90 day paygo prepaid.

I just got carried away with buying TracFones because i could get good phones for fairly cheap. I really didn't need three or four active TFs but with the eBay bundles being so cheap I started buying them. I think the difficulties with the last TF website order shook me to some semblance of realization and now I'm trying other services.

Sent from my KFMUWI using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I decided to narrow my numbers down to two Google Voice numbers, which are totally free, and one TextFree number which is currently free. I watch a few TextFree ads for a minute apiece once in awhile and now I'm up to 71 free minutes. No need to buy any even if they're cheap.

I like TextFree because I can change numbers so easily.

Now I think I know how the boiler room operators spam everyone with a different number each time. But the good thing is, if a number I pick gets spammy I can switch numbers very quickly.

I'm not as quick to request a number change on TracFone because I don't get to pick the number, but usually when I get a TF number it's pretty good. I had two spammy ones recently (TF bundles I bought on eBay with a years service) but one has gotten quiet, and the other is still crazy with MMS texts and calls. I'm hoping it'll get quieter like the other phone did if I wait because I like the number. The last four digits are the same as on my other TF flip, it makes it easier to remember. Anyway I used it to verify my new GV number and until I activate my H20 SIM I can't change the GV number.

I don't know if TextFree limits how often the number can be changed but I think I'm done picking nunbers for awhile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Got my new talk headset today and tried it out with various results.

I used my TextFree number to place a call and at first it was breaking up, but it smoothed out. I'm not sure if it was the other end, or my TextFree WiFi connection that made it break up badly for a bit.

I also placed a call by Google Voice and by TracFone carrier number and had very low volume thru the headset, so put it on speaker. That worked with the headset plugged in.

There was a perfect call to my debit card switchboard and another call elsewhere where the info wouldn't enter. I could enter a number but the robogal said they didn't get it. I called again using a different number and could enter the info.

I think the headset is ok, just problems with the various connections. I'll keep testing.

The headset is adjustable but small earpad, it is slippery on my hair. The plugs are gold plated. It came with an adapter/splitter to plug into a computer or console that requires two plugs/jacks. I don't use a computer anymore. I haven't yet tested it on my Fire 7 tablet.

The main deal it seems to work so amen.

I can turn the mic boom around so it can be worn on the right or left.

It cost $10. Not bad.

Sorry for the slightly blurry pic of the box. Name:  Screenshot_InsigniaHeadset.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  32.0 KB

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I tried the headset on my Moto e5 with TextFree and the plug just wouldn't fit. It wouldn't go all the way in. It fit fine in my ZTE zFiveG jack. The calls on that phone with TextFree were good.

The headset worked well with two of my flips, MyFlip and Z233VL.

I had to make sure the plug was pressed in all the way. I thought it wasn't working with the MyFlip til I saw the plug wasn't flush with the case. I pressed harder and it went in.

The headset has an inline volume dial. But i can control the volume from the phone too.

It's a small hesdset that does take a little finesse fitting it in place, the earpad has to be right on the ear to hear it, but it does work. Sure there are better fitting sets but it's a ten buck set. I could have paid $12 for a Star Wars headset with flashing lights with big muffs, but I started small. The next set will be better fitting and cost a few bucks more. Til then, this'll do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2