Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TextMe and TextFree app questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

TextMe and TextFree app questions

I already have TextNow free calling but thought I'd try other apps.

I installed TextMe first, then TextFree.

I sent texts to all my active numbers and replied back.

One TracFone number that I have on a MyFlip received ok from both numbers. It sent fine to the TextMe number. But in reply to the new TextFree number, TextFree never received the reply. Instead the reply went to the TextMe number.

Very weird.

I signed up for both calling & texting apps using the same email from Mail2World. I used the same password on both free calling accounts.

If these apps are interrelated, maybe they got confused?

Dunno.

TextMe was very buggy installing it on my ZTE ZFiveG phone, at first it wouldn't work. Screen blackout, wouldn't respond to presses on the power button to wake the screen or power off. Kept trying til the screen responded. It worked after that but thought I was going to have to take the battery out. The memory has been groomed recently so it had atleast 6gb free so that wasn't an issue. It installed ok on my active TF Moto e5.

TextMe to lock in the number, remove ads, receive activation codes, change number if needed, call forwarding, number lookup, wants 99˘ payment then 5.99 a week thereafter. I also saw 8.97 quoted elsewhere.

If i tap the "remove ads" X on screen it says the 5.99/week price.

If I go to the menu bar at bottom of the screen and choose Store, it gives the 8.97/month price. It says that does the same thing.

5.99/week is WAY too much to pay for calling over WiFi since Google Voice is free. There are REAL service options out there for $15/mo and less that allow a phone to go anywhere in pocket, maybe not all unlimited.

TextFree wants 4.99/month to lock in the number, remove ads, and unlimited minutes. Bills to Google Play account. Thats cheap because it works on any device, don't need an unlocked phone, although the calls go over WiFi. However Google Voice is free.

The plus though is that these apps allow use like TextNow with email login.

One app i tried wanted to use my active TF number for calling instead of issuing me one. Can't recall the name because I deleted it.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have had the Textfree/Pinger app for something like six years starting on an iPod touch. I have not had to pay anything for it, but I don't know if I am legacy grandfathered. I never opted out of ads which probably does cost. It has always worked well. I do have to use the number once a month or lose it. I just make it part of my Monday routine to make a call.

I play a few of their videos/ads as part of the Monday routine to earn calling minutes. Texts are free. I am up to 8,000+ minutes.

Even though I have GV I keep Textfree as my burner number to give to people and places that I don't want to have my real number. It is set to go straight to voicemail without ringing my phone.

I don't know of anything better for free other than GV.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Bobdevnul... Thanks for the recommend. Thats what I wanted to know, reliability, and whether they get sneaky and grab the number back.

Yes, i need a few burner numbers for occasional calls or signups.

They had so many numbers to choose from it was definitely hard to decide. There were at least four I liked (i like repeating digits or strings of zeros in a row, and they had numbers in all my favorite categories. Plus one had the same last four digits as on two of my other phones, just rearranged.)

I saw the option to watch videos to earn credits. The credits are cheap to buy as well but really wouldn't need to.

I'll see how it goes. Hard to say why some of the texts from the one phone went to the wrong number, but hope not too often!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I had retired my 8gb devices but today decided to see if I could reactivate them with TextFree, TextMe, and TextNow.

So far ok with the TF Alcatel Pixi Unite, the tiny 4" phone. It's a little slow but works.

The AT&T Alcatel Ideal worked out ok too although less available memory than the Pixi.

While I was in settings I got a great surprise. The Ideal 4060a is VoLTE capable. VoLTE settings was an item on the menu. That's a 4.5" phone I got unlocked. So it's a possibility for reactivation with H20 or Red Pocket for a standby low volume callbox.

I still have a Simple Mobile ZTE zFive 2 to reactivate with the TextMe and TextNow type apps. I think that one runs Lollipop.

I also reinstalled Google Voice on the first two phones and that worked despite the OS version. 6.0 marshmallow on the Pixi and 5.1.1 on the Ideal. Lollipop.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a few Textme numbers as well as a few Textfree numbers. I've had them for quite some time now.

I only pay for one number on a monthly basis and a few other accounts I also purchased one time credits.

The reason I pay anything at all and especially the monthly payment is because I don't want to take the chance of losing them as they are really good numbers.

So that's probably one advantage they have over Google Voice. I have some decent Google Voice numbers but nothing compared to Textme or Textfree.

And there are other apps such as Telos and TalkU which also provide some nice numbers.

Good luck....

Feedback Score
    Although I know this doesn't apply to WheelieBoot's usage scenario, as someone who likes to have the ability to do calls and messaging on their computer in addition to mobile devices, to me, after Google Voice, there's nothing better than TextNow.

I haven't ever tested TextFree or TextMe, but I've used Talkatone off and on for many years, first when it still worked with GV, and more recently with testing for having a Canadian phone #, but it doesn't have a web interface like TextNow does.

TextNow works just like Google Voice over data only, both via the TextNow app and via a web browser on my computer, except that there are ads. I know those ads bother some people a lot, but they don't bother me. I've had a TextNow Canadian phone # for 2 years now, and it's been reliable and easy to use.

One other great thing about TextNow is that, if so desired, it can be a free stand-alone (no WiFi or separate data source required) voice and text service using TextNow provided data on a Sprint-compatible smartphone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    I have a few Textme numbers as well as a few Textfree numbers. I've had them for quite some time now.

I only pay for one number on a monthly basis and a few other accounts I also purchased one time credits.

The reason I pay anything at all and especially the monthly payment is because I don't want to take the chance of losing them as they are really good numbers.

So that's probably one advantage they have over Google Voice. I have some decent Google Voice numbers but nothing compared to Textme or Textfree.

And there are other apps such as Telos and TalkU which also provide some nice numbers.

Good luck....
    I'm working on reducing my service costs to actual needs instead of racking up airtime I'll never use (unless i fall down a well and have to keep constant contact for three days while they dig me out). The airtime loot spends better if it stays in the bank, no refund on unused airtime.

These calling & texting apps keep the call buckets full for free as long as WiFi is working.

Yes, i can see paying a small fee to reserve the number, which i will possibly do after testing the usage a short time. One of my apps has a variety of choices for reserving the number including $19.~ a year, that might be TextMe. Cheap.

Also can get a second number by paying a fee, saw two excellent numbers. I usually don't get choices that good with GV and of course no choices with regular paid service.

I've always wondered why if we pay for it, we can't pick from atleast a short list like the phone company does with landlines. Yet the free calling apps give a choice.

I can always let a free one expire and pick another. Well duh i guess, it's why they're called burner numbers. But i like that.

Or i can sign into the service using a different email and pick a new one. Lots of choices.

They don't seem as spammy as regular paid service numbers. That's a total plus.

I seem to spend most of my long blocks of talk time on customer help desks including hold waits. These free numbers can help with that. I don't like callbacks because sometimes they don't so i suffer the wait.

Well lots of reasons to like these free apps. They do take quite a bit of room on memory, not good on my space challenged 8gb phones, but true they work better on some phones than others.

My old 8gb ZTE zFive 2 is really stripped down to make room because it was never good on space, but I was only able to add GV for calling. The other apps took too much space.

I'm only setting up the 8gb ones to get the max use before they sunset. The teeny 4" Pixi Unite is a great pickup and pocket size, so is the 4.5" Alcatel Ideal. They're just slower or more buggy than my newer 16 gb/2gbRAM phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Although I know this doesn't apply to WheelieBoot's usage scenario, as someone who likes to have the ability to do calls and messaging on their computer in addition to mobile devices, to me, after Google Voice, there's nothing better than TextNow.

I haven't ever tested TextFree or TextMe, but I've used Talkatone off and on for many years, first when it still worked with GV, and more recently with testing for having a Canadian phone #, but it doesn't have a web interface like TextNow does.

TextNow works just like Google Voice over data only, both via the TextNow app and via a web browser on my computer, except that there are ads. I know those ads bother some people a lot, but they don't bother me. I've had a TextNow Canadian phone # for 2 years now, and it's been reliable and easy to use.

One other great thing about TextNow is that, if so desired, it can be a free stand-alone (no WiFi or separate data source required) voice and text service using TextNow provided data on a Sprint-compatible smartphone.
    I don't have a usable Sprint compatible phone, newest was the ZTE N817 i had maybe three years ago on Virgin Mobile Sprint's Assurance Wireless. It's 8gb and was always running out of room. I never requested an unlock and it was i think SIMless. I could probably reactivate it on a free calling app but I think it's KitKat 4.4 and won't be supported much longer.

All three of the free apps I installed have ads, sorta up the kazoo when it's a popup screen like for TruConnect ads or the Wish app. The screen goes dark like it's going to crash then up pops an ad. Probably it darks out awhile while loading because of my phone's RAM being limited. Even if it's 2gb, usable available RAM is less than half. CPU-Z app shows the details. But ads don't bother me for calling. I don't stare at the screen in a call.

The ads in my TextNow inbox are usually small but always there and the texting window is therefore very small on my cellphone, squinched between the ads. Don't know how it'd look on a notebook.

That being said, on some ad free messaging apps the text entry field is squinched small because of the keypad size, so can't complain. I just don't like things moving and flashing around the text entry field as I write. I turn off emoji or sticker suggestions if I can in messaging apps, the moving sticker animations drive me bugnutz.

However the actual texting in the free apps works well, can do long MMS length messages and pictures send and receive fine. I use TextNow to send pictures between phones instead of fussing with BlueTooth.

TextFree has a pretty clean messaging window. No dark mode on mine. But basic and didn't seem as cluttered with distraction although let's face it, free means ads, they have to pay for it somehow.

As my paid TF service "sunsets," I'm sure I'll pick one of the apps i like best that offers the best rates and reserve the number to ad free status.

I have plenty of time to test apps looking for the best format, my TFs expire December this year, May and June next year. As one expires I'll combine balances to extend them until the last one expires.

Feedback Score
    Textnow has been pretty decent for 4 months now. I thought I had lost my # once, called c/s & they re-instated it. Good for ads in Craigs List, etc. I also have had a GrooveIP # for 4 years, working ok. I received a lot of bill collector calls for the previous owner, took a year to go away. With Gv-IP you don't get interrupted with ads, you just have to watch ads to gain credits. Do that while doing paperwork in the morning.

These VOIP #'s are good for my out of state customers, some who still have to pay for long distance. If you date out of town women, give them your # in their area code.

Feedback Score
    i have been playing around with textNOW on some old sprint handsets i have laying around off and on one thing i have noticed is sometimes(other times not) if i either let the account lapse and the number is returned or if i proactively cancel the free service and free service on sprint is cancelled and i try to re-activate it will say the phone is not eligible when i try to activate again.

but i also figured out if that happens i can activate a different handset and than immiediatly switch to the one textNOW was saying is ineligible without issue by login in online and providing the IMEI and SIM card number.

i have no need for extra free voice lines myself but to be honest i'm bit surprised there is not more talk of this free service on the sprint network even if it is a bit flaky as a VOIP over cellular service. in my little bit of testing it has actually been pretty reliable but i do live and work in an area decent sprint service. in particular the fact no credit card is required and the whole activating process is very simple and all done as part of the app setup. can turn just about an clean IMEI sprint smartphone into a free talk and text device that works away from WIFI in only a few minutes.

a nice bonus if you have devices on other networks or just for wifi you can install the textNOW app on them and they all ring at once.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just deleted my TextMe account and app. I was testing the apps by making calls and I could hardly make a call without buggy stuff going on. Ads popping and blocking my view. I think it's 8.97/mo to lock in the number and remove ads. More than I want to pay for only occasional use.

It's down to TextFree and TextNow.

TextFree is a bit buggy too for me although the inbox is clean enough compared to the others. It's when I tried to place calls that I had issues with the screen being slow to respond, had to exit altogether to use it again. If I paid to secure the number and get rid of ads it might be ok.

TextNow has ads taking up the inbox view, but it seems to work ok.

TextMe placed the calls but the ads were way too frantic and intrusive, and I wasn't ready to pay for it yet at that price.

To be fair the call quality over WiFi on all of these apps was sparkling clean.

It's worth a try for anyone who wants a free backup number. Good call quality once connected, at least here. I really think the paid version would be worth it if a person needs it.

I got another TextFree number today with another Gmail addy, even better than my other TextFree number. The list to choose from in my area code was huge. I could hit the back button and try again and pull up more. Lots of memorable ones with repeating digits, "3131“ “0045“ “7171“ or ones just easy to remember. The one I chose was three of the same digits followed by 0. Not 8880, but like that. Crazy way easy to remember.

I think TextFree is $5/mo to lock in the number. So I'll try it longer.

The only super clean free one is Google Voice. I could probably just get another number on GV with another email and be ok with that, but I like trying out these freebie numbers.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I tested TextFree on two different phones, my ZTE zFiveG and my Moto e5. I have two different TextFree numbers on them, signed in with different emails.

It didn't work very well on the zFiveG, that's the one that was glitching in calls, screen not responding to attempts to exit or close after ending the call, or closing the app instead of just going back to the previous screen. It worked better if I called from the TextFree contacts list from within the app. If I tried choosing a contact from my main contacts app, then choosing TextFree for the call, the dialpad would open but without the number inserted. I'd try to exit and the app window would minimize. Would have to close it entirely and start over, choosing a contact from within the TextFree app and calling. The call clarity was good though.

The Moto e5 worked very well with good to excellent call clarity. I didn't have any issues within the TextFree app choosing a contact and calling. The only problem was finding out I'd put the wrong number on a contact and called the wrong place. My mistake.

The call screen and texting inbox on TextFree is exceptionally clean and uncluttered. I like it for that by itself. I'd prefer dark mode to stark white, but it's simply laid out. No frantic flashing ads, no interrupting ads, no distractions. The ads are fairly small or if not small, reasonable.

The 4.99/mo fee to get rid of ads and lock in the number is relatively cheap. TextNow charges 9.99/mo to go ad free and to lock in the number, so it's more likely to remain a freebie dialer. However, for someone who calls a lot from home over WiFi, unlimited talk/text for $10/mo might be reasonable. For that price I'd rather have a phone I could take with me anywhere.

I'm still playing with it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    TextFree is not only pretty clean but it gives ten free talk minutes to start, then can buy minutes (100 mins/1.99) or earn them by watching ads. I earned about 20 mins this morning watching ads.

I like my number enough to pay 4.99/mo to keep it, plus get unlimited, but will probably keep watching ads to rack a few minutes.

So, my vote so far for #1 friendly non Google Voice Google Play call/text app is TextFree.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I have had TextNow #s for 2 years, and if we ever don't use it for a period of time, which has been 1 to 2 months whenever it happens, we get a message that says to make a call or send a text to keep our #.

We have Canadian phone #s for use with our Canadian contacts, but it should be same for a US #.

With unlimited talk and text included for free with ads, it's been a great service so far.

TextNow's current $9.99/mo cost to remove ads and lock in the # is ridiculous! It was $2.99/mo through around the end of 2019, which was reasonable, but we didn't mind the ads enough to pay, especially since TextNow isn't our primary service, so we never signed up for the $2.99/mo.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    My wife and I have had TextNow #s for 2 years, and if we ever don't use it for a period of time, which has been 1 to 2 months whenever it happens, we get a message that says to make a call or send a text to keep our #.

We have Canadian phone #s for use with our Canadian contacts, but it should be same for a US #.

With unlimited talk and text included for free with ads, it's been a great service so far.

TextNow's current $9.99/mo cost to remove ads and lock in the # is ridiculous! It was $2.99/mo through around the end of 2019, which was reasonable, but we didn't mind the ads enough to pay, especially since TextNow isn't our primary service, so we never signed up for the $2.99/mo.
    I would sign up for 2.99/mo just to get rid of ads even if it didn't include locking in the number. Could just keep the number by using it occasionally like you do.

The 4.99/mo lock in price with TextFree is still really good. Not many ads anyway. But to keep a number with unlimited calls for that price is good... It's just that with TextFree they have the option of earning talk minutes for watching ads, or buying minutes 100/1.99, so by just using it as needed I really wouldn't have to pay the 4.99. Unless they grabbed my number back. In which case I'd be peeved. One of my TextFree numbers that I just signed up for is REALLY hard to get. My little hometown doesn't offer up many numbers. So I don't want to lose it unless I get a better one.

Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast