Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Galaxy SIII

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Honest question- what could happen with these risks? If you only use it for minor tasks and don't take it everywhere?
    What "could" happen if the phone is connected to the Internet over WiFi is someone could take complete control of the phone and have complete access to all of the contents and communications that occur. That is the worst case. It usually does not happen and generally is not that bad.

Read Ars Technica for a while. There is some new Android exploit about monthly. Even brand new, up to date, phones are not invulnerable.

I have been using retired phones around the house like micro-tablets with WiFi for years with no problem. I do not under any circumstances use them for financial or banking apps or any app that has personal info that could be used to hurt me - definitely nothing with a stored payment method.

If you don't connect to the Internet even with Wifi, there is nothing they can do to your phone or info, but that really cripples the functionality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Huge security hole with no updates.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    As mobile and security software developer I can say that security risk of Samsung S3 that used only as mp3 player is close to zero (unless Italian mafia or three-letter agencies are looking for you) and can be ignored if it is used only on home network or public wi-fi. I would not use it on corporate networks but even there the risk is very very low if it is used only as mp3 player.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
    ... My S5 is a fully connected phone but I do no bank/financial stuff on it. I do have some security on it (Lookout). Talk/Text/Data it works for me. I tend to use things until they die. I drive cars until the wheels fall off!
    While security risk is not high even for S5 (despite lack of system updates your apps are still updating, but don't use it for banking transactions or on corporate networks) , remember that without VoLTE your S5 will become brick in 12/31/2020 in Verizon and on 02/2020 on AT&T. Even on T-Mobile its functionality is very limited even today because of the lack of new bands (12,66,71) and VoLTE which are essential for T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    As mobile and security software developer I can say that security risk of Samsung S3 that used only as mp3 player is close to zero (unless Italian mafia or three-letter agencies are looking for you) and can be ignored if it is used only on home network or public wi-fi. I would not use it on corporate networks but even there the risk is very very low if it is used only as mp3 player.
    Everyone on here thinks they’re a secret agent.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Everyone on here thinks they’re a secret agent.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    They call me "Secret Agent Man".
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    While security risk is not high even for S5 (despite lack of system updates your apps are still updating, but don't use it for banking transactions or on corporate networks) , remember that without VoLTE your S5 will become brick in 12/31/2020 in Verizon and on 02/2020 on AT&T. Even on T-Mobile its functionality is very limited even today because of the lack of new bands (12,66,71) and VoLTE which are essential for T-Mobile.
    Is the date for AT&T 02/2021? 02/2020 is already passed, and my wife's phone still works fine.

Feedback Score
    The date for AT&T is February 2022. Verizon end of 2020. T-MOBILE is shutting down 3G as we speak to finish by the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSSGT View Post
    Is the date for AT&T 02/2021? 02/2020 is already passed, and my wife's phone still works fine.
    Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2