Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Non VoLTE devices will not be activated after August 4th

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I would wait until there's an official announcement from T-Mobile regarding this. It's one thing for them to discourage new activations for devices that don't have compatible VoLTE. It's quite another, to make them inoperable.
    There is no device activation of unlocked/non-branded phone! You just insert T-Mobile SIM into your phone. Assuming the SIM already has assigned phone number, it will work even on 2G phone assuming there is 2G signal in the area and the phone is compatible with the sim (manufactured on or after 2005).
    Last edited by RFK; 07-30-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetao View Post
    2. If that's the case, would somebody explain Androided's comment above that "Verizon and att branded versions don't support TMobile VoLTE". So Verizon and AT&T are nonstandard?
    All unlocked non-branded phones that officially sold in USA (BestBuy, Walmart, Target etc.) and listed as "Compatible with 4 major carriers" support T-Mobile's VoLTE. The same is true for phones you buy from Amazon (I mean directly from Amazon, not from 3rd party sellers on Amazon). THe same is true if you by phone directly from Apple/Samsung/Motorola.

In many cases it is even true if you buy European version of Samsung phones (they unofficially support T-Mobile VoLTE).

All Iphones starting from iPhone 6 support T-Mobile's VoLTE.

The reason is that T-Mobile VoLTE is fully compatible with VoLT standard.

Regarding AT&T/VZW branded phones: VoLTE capability is artificially locked to AT&T/VZW by the carrier even if you unlock the phone to use with different SIM. In some extend you are right: AT&T/VZW do not follow standards. The same is true for T-Mobile, by the way: if you unlock T-Mobile branded phone, most likely it will not work with AT&T/VZW VoLTE.

But modern (Android 9 and up, iPhones 6 and up) non branded unlocked phones will work with T-Mobile VoLTE in general (there are some exceptions: dual sim phones, no-name Chinese phones etc.).
    Last edited by RFK; 07-30-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Assuming the SIM already has assigned phone number, it will work even on 2G phone assuming there is 2G signal in the area and the phone is compatible with the sim (manufactured on or after 2005).
    It appears the screenshot in the OP, activation was referring to assigning a phone number to a SIM. The screenshot said:

As of August 4, MMobile experts should begin confirming that BYOD customers have a device that is VoLTE compatible before completing an activation.

Feedback Score

But modern (Android 9 and up, iPhones 6 and up) non branded unlocked phones will work with T-Mobile VoLTE in general (there are some exceptions: dual sim phones, no-name Chinese phones etc.).
    Very false information. shameless lying!
    Most (if not all) Chinese phones manufactured in last 6 year, Dual SIM phones work very extremely well with VoLTE on T-Mobile.
    I have many dual sim Chinese phones all work very well on T-Mobile VoLTE (Include named or unnamed Chinese phone Huawei,Xiaomi,Leeco,Ulfone etc.)

Sent from my leeco max2 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Androided; 07-30-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Very false information. shameless lying!
    Most (if not all) Chinese phones manufactured in last 6 year, Dual SIM phones work very extremely well with VoLTE on T-Mobile.
    I have many dual sim Chinese phones all work very well on T-Mobile VoLTE (Include named or unnamed Chinese phone Huawei,Xiaomi,Leeco,Ulfone etc.)
    Just few examples of modern noname Chinese phones without VoLTE and even without LTE:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S20-2020-Ne...p/153998312322

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-New-An...e/274428813547

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-6-In-A50-...e/274423399493

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-3-Android...T/163958442623

So, don't spread false info regarding VoLTE support by Chinese noname phones.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Do they make something like Exalt LTE with T-Mo bands?

This "runs" Android, but you wouldn't know it using it. Literally the only differences I noticed between it and his previous flip were a) slightly slower startup time. b) the text app was dyed red, it was "Verizon messages" but stripped down to use the arrows, use T9, etc... c) about 2 layers deep in the settings there is a hotspot; my Dad has no clue how to use it, but it's there so my mom or I could flip it on. d) It says "4G" up by the signal bars instead of "1X".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Do they make something like Exalt LTE with T-Mo bands?
    https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/alcatel-go-flip-3

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does not activating VOLTE phones enhance the network for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    The world is not ready to go VoLTE only just yet. What about the people who like just to use older devices for nostalgic purposes every now and then. What about people who couldnt afford a symbian device when they were new but can now afford one. what about onstar in peoples cars? The carriers might WANT to get rid of CDMA, GSM and UMTS but they would be foolish to do so. They would piss off a lot of customers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    The world is not ready to go VoLTE only just yet. What about the people who like just to use older devices for nostalgic purposes every now and then. What about people who couldnt afford a symbian device when they were new but can now afford one. what about onstar in peoples cars? The carriers might WANT to get rid of CDMA, GSM and UMTS but they would be foolish to do so. They would piss off a lot of customers

The World, in general, is not ready yet, but cell phones users in USA are ready.
    In case of T-Mobile, we are talking only about domestic T-Mobile (even without MVNOs) phone users (not IOT, not roaming, not car embedded devices etc.).

There are very few cell phones users (less than 10%) that still have non-VoLTE devices. They will continue to work, but new SIMs/lines will require existence of VoLTE compatible phone. It is "soft" requirement because you can move the SIM afterward into your lovely Symbian phone.

Yesterday I enabled VoLTE on my FreeUp (AT&T MVNO) account by providing IMEI of VoLTE compatible phone, but my SIM is still continue to work (without VoLTE) on old flip phone and will work there until 02/2020 when AT&T shuts down its 3G network.

The same will be true for T-Mobile. 99% of the users who does not even know what is VoLTE, are going to use new VoLTE compatible phone. I thinks this is correct because without VoLTE you do not have coverage on around 50% of US area (you coverage area is limited to what T-Mobile had in 2014).

This is understandable approach, but you will still have option to use your existing SIM on existing phone regardless of VoLTE at least for another 2-3 years (there is no 3G shutdown announcement yet). The quality of services (without bands 12,66,71 and without VoLTE) will be bad, but is is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    What about people who couldnt afford a symbian device when they were new but can now afford one.
    I have about 30 Symbian devices (I collect them). As of 2020 they can be used for voice/text only: you can not browse internet because of expired certificates and lack of support TLS 1.2, there are no working apps (Facebook, Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram, online banking, navigation etc.). Symbian devices became "dumb phones". If you need dumb phone, you can buy flip phone from T-Mobile (or other operator). Each one of big three has at least one model of flip phone that supports all relevant bands and VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    I've had a beef with 5G for several years, when the US's VHF bandwidth auctions left me with just one over-the-air TV station and its lone subchannel. The others all shut down their towers to broadcast as subchannels from towers too far north to receive. The carriers want us to think that 5G is the savior of humanity. Umm, no. If you wanted to put your washer and dryer on the Internet, you could have done that with 3G or maybe 2G. And video conferencing works pretty well on LTE. 5G is faster, that's it.

There are very few cell phones users (less than 10%) that still have non-VoLTE devices.
    That's what one of the articles said, but I wonder what percent of VoLTE-compatible phones are ones that T-Mobile sold themselves? That is, if the percent of unlocked phones on their network is always around 10%, then that number doesn't mean much.

Per my post on the previous page, I appear to have figured out what happened with my Xperia XA2 Ultra. Its VoLTE support was purposely disabled on T-Mobile by Sony, to not run afoul of a certification program (read: $$$) T-Mobile has been running for a few years. See this post from XDA-Developers:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=809

But I don't understand what T-Mobile had/has over Sony and other manufacturers to encourage such behavior. Maybe T-Mobile could have banned Sony from selling phones through them? But then what about ASUS, which has become the poster child for VoLTE compatibility issues? I'm sure they don't give a d**n about T-Mobile branding. When a new unlocked phone enters the market, does the manufacturer have to alert every carrier on Earth? Maybe I don't understand how the unlocked market works, but I didn't think so. So where is the stumbling block? By this point every manufacturer knows how to write VoLTE drivers, so include VoLTE support in every phone and stop second-guessing yourselves.

I have about 30 Symbian devices (I collect them). As of 2020 they can be used for voice/text only: you can not browse internet because of expired certificates and lack of support TLS 1.2, there are no working apps (Facebook, Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram, online banking, navigation etc.). Symbian devices became "dumb phones".
    I was using a Series 60 3rd Edition Symbian phone just a few months ago and this isn't entirely true. While it's not a substitute for a modern browser, Opera Mini does fill in the gaps and I think maybe 1/3 of web sites (including google.com and Amazon) still support TLS 1.0 and the stock browser. The layout may be crap, but in a way I prefer that over downloading lots of unnecessary images and code. The last time I checked, Nokia Maps still worked, too. I don't use Facebook or WhatsApp, but did miss when my banks moved to sites too complex for any installable browser. But installable software doesn't always have to be Internet-based, and clients like FTP, telnet/SSH, ping/traceroute, etc. also still work. POP3/IMAP/SMTP email probably as well.

Time marches on, though. Sniff.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've had a beef with 5G for several years, when the US's VHF bandwidth auctions left me with just one over-the-air TV station and its lone subchannel. The others all shut down their towers to broadcast as subchannels from towers too far north to receive. The carriers want us to think that 5G is the savior of humanity. Umm, no. If you wanted to put your washer and dryer on the Internet, you could have done that with 3G or maybe 2G. And video conferencing works pretty well on LTE. 5G is faster, that's it.
    I agree with most of what you're saying, except why you have a "beef" with "5G" as opposed to wireless in general? 5G, as you said, is just faster cellular. The increasing demands for bandwidth was going to take your television stations away regardless of whether it was 5G, 4G, 3G or tin cans and a string. At this rate, in another few years OTA broadcast media will be limited to AM radio and everything else will be over the internet!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Now that we are a week after the Aug 4 date, I was looking to see confirmation that the first step of this leaked announcement actually took place, but I see nothing mentioned anywhere about T-Mobile refusing to activate any non VoLTE phones. Of course, it may be there no one has tried and posted about it.

But, was looking at least for confirmation that the leaked document ended up being a statement of the true policy change. Anyone see any confirmation of this after Aug 4?

Feedback Score
    I've had a beef with 5G for several years, when the US's VHF bandwidth auctions left me with just one over-the-air TV station and its lone subchannel. The others all shut down their towers to broadcast as subchannels from towers too far north to receive. The carriers want us to think that 5G is the savior of humanity. Umm, no. If you wanted to put your washer and dryer on the Internet, you could have done that with 3G or maybe 2G. And video conferencing works pretty well on LTE. 5G is faster, that's it....
    You may be confusing VHF TV and UHF TV frequencies.

VHF TV is 54 - 88 MHz and 174 - 216 MHz. None of this has been auctioned or reallocated for cellular service.

UHF TV was 470 - 890 MHz for channels 14-83.

With the advent of cable and satellite TV (years ago, like the 1970s) most of the higher UHF channels were never used for OTA broadcast.

"The frequencies used by UHF channels 70 through 83 were reallocated to the Land Mobile Radio System (Public Safety and Trunked Radio) and mobile phones in a CCIR worldwide convention in 1982..." They were subsequently "re-allocated to AMPS cellular phone use in 1983." That is 806-890 MHz. These transitioned to digital cellular when AMPS was shutdown.

"Channels 52 through 69 in the United States have been reallocated now that conversion to digital TV was completed on June 12, 2009." That is 698-806 MHz. Parts of this became the "700" MHz band for cellular.

"all TV stations that are currently broadcasting on Channel 38 to 51, are required to be moved on or below Channel 36 by July 3rd, 2020...." That is 614-698 MHz. Parts of this were auctioned to become the 600 MHz cellular band - LTE band 71 that T-Mobile got a lot of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...el_frequencies

The need for more cellular spectrum for 3G, 4G, and LTE, not 5G, is what drove the UHF TV spectrum transition. 5G is not the Boogeyman to have a beef with. There is more to 5G than faster speed and a lot of it has nothing to do with personal cellphone use.

With the transition to digital TV most OTA broadcast channels that were on VHF have moved to the remaining UHF channels. I'm not sure why. UHF frequencies do not travel as far as VHF. I am in a similar situation. I no longer receive any TV OTA. I am too far from the broadcast locations without using high-gain receiving antenna outside on a tall mast with a rotator. Fortuantely I have cable TV, though it does cost $170 a month, including Internet, for the five channels I watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You may be confusing VHF TV and UHF TV frequencies.
    I was. Slip of the fingers, I think.

"Channels 52 through 69 in the United States have been reallocated now that conversion to digital TV was completed on June 12, 2009." That is 698-806 MHz. Parts of this became the "700" MHz band for cellular.
    It may be different in other markets, but the only broadcast station I recall >= channel 52 was a channel 54 from somewhere in Maryland when I was little and my parents had amazing OTA reception.

EDIT: Maryland Pubic TV also broadcast on some higher frequencies, I think 62 and 69. But again that's meaningless to me now.

"all TV stations that are currently broadcasting on Channel 38 to 51, are required to be moved on or below Channel 36 by July 3rd, 2020...." That is 614-698 MHz. Parts of this were auctioned to become the 600 MHz cellular band - LTE band 71 that T-Mobile got a lot of.
    And this is when it started to hurt. Without doing lots of research, my first TV disruption was in February 2016, with the rest happening probably over the next 12 months. My Sony Xperia XA2 (released early 2018) doesn't do band 71, and I don't know if it's even available locally. T-Mobile's site lists band 71 as Extended LTE/5G, so I don't think I was too far off blaming my misfortunes on 5G. I also lost a channel which I think was broadcasting on digital channel 23. Not sure what that was about.

There is more to 5G than faster speed and a lot of it has nothing to do with personal cellphone use.
    I am open to being enlightened.

I am in a similar situation. I no longer receive any TV OTA. I am too far from the broadcast locations without using high-gain receiving antenna outside on a tall mast with a rotator. Fortuantely I have cable TV, though it does cost $170 a month, including Internet, for the five channels I watch.
    That's much too harsh a medicine for me. My biggest beef with the process was that it appeared to happen in secret. I had no idea there had even been a spectrum auction until TV stations started disappearing, and by then it was far too late. A speculator actually bought a small local station with the interest of "shutting it down". They pocketed $84 million. I wonder what would have happened if nobody had wanted to sell? Eminent domain seizures? If there had been enough local outcry, perhaps a compromise could have been reached, i.e. re-purposing a more local tower to duplicate some of the broadcasts?

@elecconnec mentioned AM radio. If you've looked at the US electromagnetic spectrum lately, AM occupies an absolutely HUGE chunk. It would have been nice to see some shared sacrifice.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast