Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here using a Tracfone ATT SIM? Do you get VOLTE?

Feedback Score

Anyone here using a Tracfone ATT SIM? Do you get VOLTE?

I have a Tracfone SIM from the Ebay $60 / year deal.

I have the APN from their site set up and expected VOLTE to work, but it still drops to 3G when I get a call.

Anyone else having trouble with this?

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have on a iPhone 6, also have wifi calling, it didn't happen at first took about 2 mos.

Name:  20200722_202008.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  20200722_201940.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  33.8 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    My brother in law has had Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE on ST for a couple years, though apparently unofficially, on his 6. Most recent MVNO support for this on other MVNOs have generally required the 6s or later since the 6 doesn't support iOS 13.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    VoLTE is working on my old AT&T Samsung Note 4 using a TracFone AT&T SIM that was activated in January.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What kind of phone are you using? I have VoLTE and WiFi Calling on AT&T and VoLTE on Verizon thru TracFone. I have an old postpaid family plan as my main service (eSIM) and a TracFone SIM in my iPhone for an extra # or if T-Mobile doesn't have good service somewhere. I do have another AT&T TF SIM in an iPhone 6s that only got VoLTE recently though, even if it had been active for years.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone SE 2nd gen eSIM; Galaxy Note 9
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone SE 2nd gen dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone 8 Plus
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    The AT&T "Service capabilities for your unlocked device" list is at
    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf.

Is AT&T going to be the same as Vzw, where you can swap in a SIM card to an "unapproved" device and it will still work?

This could be important for people that keep older phones for backup devices, in case they need to temporarily switch due to needing a repair of their primary device.

I might end up regretting switching my wife to AT&T from T-Mobile! But at least AT&T has given ~1-1/2 year advance notice.

For example, my wife's old Moto G4 Play is T-Mobile VoLTE compatible, but it's not on AT&T's list I linked above...

Feedback Score
    Looking over the AT&T list I linked to above, it's interesting to note that the
    • Pixel 3
    • Pixel 3XL
    • Pixel 3a
    • Pixel 3a XL
    are listed with "HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling" support, but the
    • Pixel 4 (1)
    • Pixel 4XL (1)
    are listed with only "HD Voice" support.

(1) Indicates AT&T wireless and AT&T PREPAIDSM devices require software
    update to enable HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Video Call, or Advanced
    Messaging.

I'm not exactly sure what that (1) means, but perhaps it means the Pixel 4 / 4XL are capable of more features after the referenced update?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The AT&T "Service capabilities for your unlocked device" list is at
    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf.

Is AT&T going to be the same as Vzw, where you can swap in a SIM card to an "unapproved" device and it will still work?
    I think that, until ATT actually decommissions 3G for voice, you can transfer a SIM to the device and have it still work as far as it is capable. If not VoLTE, it will drop to 3G for voice. Like Verizon as long as the Verizon account hasn't been configured CDMALESS. Last I heard Feb 2022. May or may not change.

T-Mobile seems to be accelerating their transition too, but they now have the Sprint network to integrate, and those phones.

Feedback Score
    ATT refuses to get this right. They want you to buy an AT&T phone at their exorbitant prices. I left AT&T for this reason. I have the factory unlocked Galaxy S10e which is the U1 model. The compatibility list shows the only the U model which is what they sell. I put an AT&T Sim in my phone the other day no VoLTE and no WiFi calling. I prefer AT&T in my area but until they become BYOD Android friendly like T-mobile and Verizon they are a no go.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    >Is AT&T going to be the same as Vzw, where you can swap in a SIM card to an "unapproved" device and it will still work?

AT&T VoLTE has been around for years. Do you know of any non-AT&T-branded phone that can get VoLTE (HD Voice) that is not in the above compatibility list, ie any unapproved ones? If not, then why would it be any different once VoLTE is a requirement?

BTW, here's a larger list of HD-Voice approved phones that include AT&T-branded ones,

http://att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer...TT-Network.pdf

>T-Mobile seems to be accelerating their transition too, but they now have the Sprint network to integrate, and those phones.

That's actually a reason for TMo to speed up its 3G phase-out. It's better to kill 2 birds with one stone, and do both transitions (CDMA and 3G sunsets) at the same time. Grapevine sez Aug 4 is deadline for VoLTE-required activation, and year-end for 3G sunset.

All carriers are pushing hard for 5G, especially AT&T and VZW scrambling for low/midband spectrum to shoehorn in 5G with DSS. No surprise that 3G is getting shoved out the door fast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    BTW, here's a larger list of HD-Voice approved phones that include AT&T-branded ones,

http://att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer...TT-Network.pdf
    I have a factory unlocked Moto G6 Play, the one in the list. It does not seem to have VoLTE. When I engage data and a call at the same time, everything drops down according to a signal app. The SIM is recent. In the phone's hidden service menu, the green slider dot indicates VoLTE is provisioned.

I also have a factory unlocked Moto G7. It passes the test. In the service menu, the slider dot is pegged over at the provisioned position with a gray dot.

So I wouldn't trust that list.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    To the OP: For what it's worth, I have a TF-AT&T SIM that had been in a Moto G6 Play and Pixel 3aXL, and did not get VoLTE. When I happened to put it into a Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (G7 Power), not only did VoLTE become provisioned, but WiFi Calling too!

This is my preferred account for AT&T service (I only use MVNOs), so I am not going to touch this combination!

My H2O line does not get VoLTE in any approved phone, yet.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oneplus 7t in that list and working (with an iphone 8 imei with cricket). Surprising oneplus 8 series isn't on the list.

Feedback Score
    Update:

I tried contacting CS via chat but they are really terrible. They know nothing about wireless technology at all. I asked them to go over the APN settings with me and the CSR said "Nonono you can't change APN settings, just leave it alone..." Mkay..

I am going to see if I can get a return going through eBay.

By the way the phone I'm using is a Unihertz Atom, the tiny phone. It supports VOLTE fine with Ting or Mint. Only TracFone doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Update: I tried contacting CS via chat but they are really terrible. They know nothing about wireless technology at all. I asked them to go over the APN settings with me and the CSR said "Nonono you can't change APN settings, just leave it alone..." Mkay.. I am going to see if I can get a return going through eBay. By the way the phone I'm using is a Unihertz Atom, the tiny phone. It supports VOLTE fine with Ting or Mint. Only TracFone doesn't work.
    try these apn settings - https://www.4gapn.com/us/en/tracfone dial *#*#4636#*#* and see if the secret menu shows up select phone information and scroll down and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE WIFI calling etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast