Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Data Plans for Hotspot device

Feedback Score

Data Plans for Hotspot device

I'm current using a StraightTalk ZTE Z291DL Hotspot. I need more data but ST plans are pricey ($150 for 15GB) compared to even VZW Prepaid directly ($50 for 16GB). Are there any other MVNOs(Vzw) with data only plans I could use with my ZTE that beat Verizon direct ? Thx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'm current using a StraightTalk ZTE Z291DL Hotspot. I need more data but ST plans are pricey ($150 for 15GB) compared to even VZW Prepaid directly ($50 for 16GB). Are there any other MVNOs(Vzw) with data only plans I could use with my ZTE that beat Verizon direct ? Thx
    I would not limit yourself to using a mobile hotspot like the ZTE Z291DL Hotspot. It seems they often charge more for data on a hotspot device vs data on a hotspot from a phone.

I hear some people like the visible $40 plan which uses Verizon but you need a phone for that service.

The Visible website says Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.

Also I assume you really need the verizon network because they are normally the most expensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I would not limit yourself to using a mobile hotspot like the ZTE Z291DL Hotspot. It seems they often charge more for data on a hotspot device vs data on a hotspot from a phone.

I hear some people like the visible $40 plan which uses Verizon but you need a phone for that service.

The Visible website says Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.

Also I assume you really need the verizon network because they are normally the most expensive.
    Thanks. Verizon Prepaid is cheaper then any MVNO (except RP) I've seen as compared in my OP. I need Vzw because of my location. RedPocket shows a data plan slightly better then Verizon Prepaid but they only offer data only plans for GSMA and there's also no hard data cap with Verizon Prepaid. Just slows down to 600kbps after the plan amount. My StraightTalk HS works great but it was only a backup to my DSL but CenturyLink is removing DSL service (I have now) from my area. No cable and satallite gets crazy $. So wireless is it. And even 5Mbps is good for me since my going away DSL is lucky to hit 1.5mbps in my area. My ST/Vzw ZTE gets 12-15mbps. About the same as the Verizon Prepaid option.
    I'd rather use a HS device vs my phone since it would be my only internet at home option and battery life and range in the house play into that. The JetPack 8800 from Verizon also has external antenna ports to make the range in my house better then using a phone too. I was surprised how cheap Verizon Prepaid is for a HS device compared to MVNOs. Just the up front cost of the JetPack.
    Appreciate any comments...thx.

Feedback Score
    My brother has AT&T DSL 1 mbps and pays about $60 a month. I told him he should get something cheaper because even wireless is faster.

I like a hotspot device too but they seem to charge more for data on those devices vs a phone.

However, I use a phone for hotspot and it works good too and I can connect more than one device at a time to it.

I looked at the verizon prepaid website link below and here is what I see.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/?adobe...8556#connected

Hotspot plan is $10 per GB so that does not look cheap to me. I assume this is for a hotspot device.

Connected home plan is $60 per 10 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.
    Connected home plan is $90 per 20 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.
    Connected home plan is $120 per 30 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.

I think for your situation visible might be good because it uses verizon and is $40 and unlimited hotspot. Just remember it says only one device connected at a time.

Feedback Score
    Connected home plan is $60 per 10 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.
    Connected home plan is $90 per 20 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.
    Connected home plan is $120 per 30 GB. I assume this is for a hotspot device but not sure.
    You link is the post paid.
    https://www.verizon.com/prepaid/?ado...bf9e1#jetpacks Is prepaid.

Need to go to Prepaid>Data Plans JetPacks and Tablets. Confirmed it all with Verizon chat.
    6 GB $35
    16GB $45
    30GB $65
    After those allowance it's unlimited for the rest of the month at 600kbps.

Verizons prepaid phone plans look pretty darn good too. Phone with 15GB and full 15GB allowed for HS ... $45 and $35 after a year with autopay. Beats any TF Mvno. I'd get the phone one but rather have a dedicated HS for my situation.

They're all double(bonus) data from the usual.

Thx
    Last edited by rpz1; 07-21-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    You link is the post paid.
    https://www.verizon.com/prepaid/?ado...bf9e1#jetpacks Is prepaid.

Need to go to Prepaid>Data Plans JetPacks and Tablets. Confirmed it all with Verizon chat.
    6 GB $35
    16GB $45
    30GB $65
    After those allowance it's unlimited for the rest of the month at 600kbps.

Verizons prepaid phone plans look pretty darn good too. Phone with 15GB and full 15GB allowed for HS ... $45 and $35 after a year with autopay. Beats any TF Mvno. I'd get the phone one but rather have a dedicated HS for my situation.

They're all double(bonus) data from the usual.

Thx
    Sorry I thought I was looking at prepaid, the websites are so confusing.

If you get 6 GB then unlimited throttled 600 kbps on a hotspot device that is an OK deal. Because it is unlimited this would work for home use.

On the phone plan for 15 GB I assume it cuts off after that so that is not very good for home use.

For home use I would want unlimited hotspot. I have boost $50 plan but it does not have unlimited hotspot so I always need to watch my data use.

As far as a hotspot device vs using a phone hotspot I don't think a hotspot device is really any better so I would probably just prefer using a phone. I use my phone as a hotspot and it works really good and I can connect multiple devices at a time. I never had a problem with my phone overheating. I also can get a signal over my house without being near the phone. I do need to set my phone near a window to get a better signal.

Feedback Score
    ........On the phone plan for 15 GB I assume it cuts off after that so that is not very good for home use.
    On the prepaid phone plans, after the 15GB service continues at 2g speed. (slower then the 600kbps on the data plans.)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that Straight Talk hotspot is going to work on other than TracFone companies, unless it is unlocked.

Feedback Score
    On the prepaid phone plans, after the 15GB service continues at 2g speed. (slower then the 600kbps on the data plans.)
    I use to have 128 kbps throttle and that is usable for light web browsing and you can watch youtube at the slowest setting but it is not a very good experience.

I never used 64 kbps but I would assume it is almost unusable even for web browsing so I don't think I would even consider that slow of speed.

So in my opinion 600 kbps throttle would not be that bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I don't think that Straight Talk hotspot is going to work on other than TracFone companies, unless it is unlocked.
    Thanks. I found out today that ST doesn't even unlock their hotspots. You're stuck with them.
    But I order the Verizon Prepaid MiFi 8800L today with the $50 16GB plan. Hope there's no hiccups in shipping and setup.

Feedback Score
    ......So in my opinion 600 kbps throttle would not be that bad.
    I can live with that after the 16GB which hopefully I won't hit anyway. Thx.

Feedback Score
    I can live with that after the 16GB which hopefully I won't hit anyway. Thx.
    Are you sure because I can use that much just web surfing without doing any video. I was surprised how hard it is to keep my hotspot usage down. Web pages use a lot of data on desktop.

If you use Windows 10 you can find out your monthly usage over the past 30 days because it tracks that for you automatically.

Feedback Score
    Are you sure because I can use that much just web surfing without doing any video. I was surprised how hard it is to keep my hotspot usage down. Web pages use a lot of data on desktop.

If you use Windows 10 you can find out your monthly usage over the past 30 days because it tracks that for you automatically.
    I know Firefox is a data hog compared to IE. I use an app on my desktop (Win7) that tracks data. Those apps and built in Win10 counters never seem to agree with what the providers records show but close. Assuming the apps correct, I average 8-12 GB a month and mainly sites that don't have all the graphics, mainly text stuff (like these forums) and some short YouTube how-to videos. Don't use my cell phones on wifi at home accept an occasional app update. I'll try that 16GB plan to start. If I go over, the 600kbps will get me by the rest of the month. My rural DSL only averaged about 600kbps and I was fine. For $20 more I can go to 30GB later.

Feedback Score
    Would some kind soul product link to a Timer that can "put the USB charger on a timer, and enable charging 15min every 2 hours"?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    I'm wondering why you opted for the VZW $45 for 16GB plan, when TW has $47.50 plan for 25GB (hotspot allowed), and no need to buy a dedicated HS?
    TW plan is 10GB for HS then 2g speed (approx 60kbps). Verizon is 16GB all HS, then 600kbps. Thx for the battery info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast