Thread: Jet Pack on VZW prepaid

Feedback Score

Jet Pack on VZW prepaid

Looking for any input on the Jetpack MiFi 8800L with Verizon prepaid. Everything works well, bugs, things to consider?
    It has all the Vzw bands. I've used a Straighttalk ZTE but the ST plans are way more expensive then Vzw prepaid.
    Other recommendations? Need it to replace my DSL which Century Link is removing from my rural area (in the middle of this pandemic...so much for the gov wanting to expand rural broadband). No cable here either.
    Satellite internet is pricey and weather unreliable.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How much data are you going to need? Going through Verizon it’s going to be very expensive unless you have access to one of the grandfathered plans.

The 8800l used to have issues with disconnects. But after the last 2 updates I think they’ve gotten that taken care of. The 8800l’s can produce some nice speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    How much data are you going to need? Going through Verizon it’s going to be very expensive unless you have access to one of the grandfathered plans.

The 8800l used to have issues with disconnects. But after the last 2 updates I think they’ve gotten that taken care of. The 8800l’s can produce some nice speeds.
    I average 8-12GB. Verizon's new Prepaid data plans are now double/bonus data like the Prepaid phone plans discussed in another thread. Data plan 16GB=$50. After the 16GB, speed goes to 600 kbps for the rest of the period.
    My old rural DSL only "averaged" 700 kbps with only 1.5mbps plans available and cost the same. Since things will load faster with the HS I just can't change my internet habits and do more.

I read about the disconnect fix updates, fingers crossed because I ordered one. Thx!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Too bad you didn’t pick up one of the prepaid Unlimited jetpack plans a year or two ago. $65 for unlimited data was quite outstanding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Too bad you didn’t pick up one of the prepaid Unlimited jetpack plans a year or two ago. $65 for unlimited data was quite outstanding.
    I wasn't even in the market then, but they do have the 30GB plan for $65 now. It's basically unlimited because it also has the 600kbps unlimited after the 30GB. Unless you meant unlimited at high speed? Most plans that claim to be unlimited are, but have a throttle point. I'll upgrade to it if need be if the 16GB (unlimited at 600) plan doesn't keep me covered.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I wasn't even in the market then, but they do have the 30GB plan for $65 now. It's basically unlimited because it also has the 600kbps unlimited after the 30GB. Unless you meant unlimited at high speed? Most plans that claim to be unlimited are, but have a throttle point. I'll upgrade to it if need be if the 16GB (unlimited at 600) plan doesn't keep me covered.
    Yes that unlimited jetpack plan was unlimited high speed. No throttling after using 22GB or any other limit. The only caveat was it was always subject to network management. People have mixed results. Some have said they see some really disappointing speeds sometimes. Some say they get really good speeds all of the time. As with all things cellular: location, location, location.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know this isn’t the place, but I would like to buy a prepaid vzw UDP .

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (both gens)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    If you don’t mind some deprioritization you can actually use a Visible sim (Verizon native LTE network only) inside the 7700 or 8800, all you need to do is update the APN in the settings menu.

Granted ping and speeds will vary highly from VZW Prepaid due to the network setup and Visible being lowest priority, but at $25 after party pay for seemingly true unlimited it’s not a bad deal.

That being said if you don’t mind the extra cost I’d still suggest VZW prepaid for the lower ping, higher reliability, and better support. I personally use the visible trick but that’s because my use case is college work and YouTube so nothing too crazy lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voidleaf View Post
    If you don’t mind some deprioritization you can actually use a Visible sim (Verizon native LTE network only) inside the 7700 or 8800, all you need to do is update the APN in the settings menu.

Granted ping and speeds will vary highly from VZW Prepaid due to the network setup and Visible being lowest priority, but at $25 after party pay for seemingly true unlimited it’s not a bad deal.

That being said if you don’t mind the extra cost I’d still suggest VZW prepaid for the lower ping, higher reliability, and better support. I personally use the visible trick but that’s because my use case is college work and YouTube so nothing too crazy lol.
    Thanks for the input. I went with VZW prepaid and the 8800L. So far so good.
    It's my only internet option with my DSL going away so reliability and support is key. Nothings guaranteed but for now the VZW path is the best option for me. Thx !

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (both gens)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I went with VZW prepaid and the 8800L. So far so good.
    It's my only internet option with my DSL going away so reliability and support is key. Nothings guaranteed but for now the VZW path is the best option for me. Thx !
    Also, if you choose to go postpaid Verizon you can add a hotspot device for $10-20 (depending what plan you’re on) for “unlimited” data, unless they’ve changed it.