Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Windows Defender"

Feedback Score

"Windows Defender"

How much do you pay for "Windows Defender" from Microsoft for your computer? It looks like it is free on the Microsoft website. A company is charging me $499.99 for a year service. I keep informing them NO , and they don`t stop. I told the do not charge me and I won`t pay . Have you had this issue? And is it just a rip off or is there some way this charge could be real?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a scam. Microsoft Defender is free and is included with Windows 10

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    TadMorose is absolutely correct. Keep in mind that Howard Forums is a cellular-based forum and not the best site to post computer questions. No harm done and put that company's offer into your trash bin. Do not attempt to reply to them or they will likely add you to their active list for new SPAM messages in the future.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    TadMorose is absolutely correct. Keep in mind that Howard Forums is a cellular-based forum and not the best site to post computer questions. No harm done and put that company's offer into your trash bin. Do not attempt to reply to them or they will likely add you to their active list for new SPAM messages in the future.
    I have not found anyone who has paid for this online . My reason for posting is I am trying to keep people from hacking my bank account.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am glad you brought up the subject to help prevent others from falling victim to this scam. You clearly need to look out for your own interests and there is nothing wrong with that. Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?

Feedback Score
    I am glad you brought up the subject to help prevent others from falling victim to this scam. You clearly need to look out for your own interests and there is nothing wrong with that. Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?
    Yea, I think they are the ones that did a previous hacking.

Feedback Score
    I did a set of "Kaspersky" downloads a few weeks back. I hope that helps.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As stated earlier, Windows Defender is free and works well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    ...Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?
    I'll ask this in a slightly different way.

Did you give them any current credit card or current bank account information yet? If so you need to change acct #s & passwords. If you are not locked out of your accts by the scammers already.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'll ask this in a slightly different way.

Did you give them any current credit card or current bank account information yet? If so you need to change acct #s & passwords. If you are not locked out of your accts by the scammers already.
    I`ve been changing credit cards and passwords several times. Hopefully they will not be getting in .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Packerjim View Post
    I`ve been changing credit cards and passwords several times. Hopefully they will not be getting in.
    Glad to hear this.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You might give your bank a heads up, just in case they try to sneak a charge in. Give them the name of the scammer and the amount to ensure they know and document your old and new accounts. I worked in a credit/debit card processing call center and have assisted customers with similar transactions. Easier to try to prevent these things ahead of time if your give your bank/credit card company the information ASAP. They should still be open to assist you if you call right away. Best wishes.

Feedback Score
    You might give your bank a heads up, just in case they try to sneak a charge in. Give them the name of the scammer and the amount to ensure they know and document your old and new accounts. I worked in a credit/debit card processing call center and have assisted customers with similar transactions. Easier to try to prevent these things ahead of time if your give your bank/credit card company the information ASAP. They should still be open to assist you if you call right away. Best wishes.
    Thanks guys !

Feedback Score
    Even if it wasn't an obvious scam, $500 a year for a second-rate antivirus solution is way too much. The likes of Bitdefender and Kaspersky, two of the highest rated and acclaimed antivirus solutions for PC, are only between $20-99 a year depending on which package you purchase and if you get them on sale. This would have been my first red flag.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the average user, Windows Defender is more than adequate protection and is free. Power users looking for additional tools/features can subscribe to more advanced products and nothing wrong with that. I have found that while Norton and McAfee, for example, are good products, they can be invasive and hog system resources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast