Thread: Question about charging cable

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Question about charging cable

Yes I should probably ask this in another forum, but the General Prepaid discussion is where the action is and where the most knowledgeable people hang out.

I'm admittedly a few years behind the curve with cellphone hardware, and recently purchased an LG V20 from my son who gets a new phone every year. And lo and behold, the charger I've been using for the last few years with the trapezoidal end--the thin trapezoidal end unlike the old chargers with a wide trapezoidal end--doesn't fit in this V20. He informed me that it needs a type C charger, which was not included in the sale. (Now you tell me.)

But shopping around for them online I see that they are selling by model: for Samsung, for Motorola, for LG, etc. Is there really a difference? I can't believe there is, but before I purchase one, I want to make sure. I was thinking of picking one up at a b&m store today.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Any USB-C cable will work. Or buy an adapter from USB -MINI female to USB-C male and use your existing cable.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Unless the V20 is something special, and some phones are, all chargers are basically the same except for the connector which recently changed to type c. They're all basically the same output 5V 750-1000ma give or take. But my recommendation is get the dang charger from your son! He gets a new one with his new phone every year. And he sold it to you!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    First thing, you can buy adapters to be able to keep using any available microUSB-style chargers. Cheap solution, but you need to not lose them once you start to rely on them. Often can be bought in multi-packs quite cheaply. I don't currently have any devices that use Type C, but if and once I do this will be one of the first accessories I get. I would probably use any charger that came with a device, but I already have various chargers around the house that I use for convenient charging when I need it, so I'm not looking to replace all of those.

And as to the second part of your query, the only difference between any charger with a compatible connector-end (Type C being the focus here) would be its amperage or wattage capacity to deliver to the connected device. One might supply one amp (1,000 milliamps); another maybe 2; another maybe whatever.

This spec informs us of how fast power is transferred to the connected device. The device may or may not be able to benefit from any increased capacity, but one of the potential hallmarks of devices that use USB Type C is supposed to be a quicker charging time, and this is accomplished by the device being designed to do so, as well as the charger being able to deliver the necessary voltage at a higher capacity (higher amperage, a measure of current flow).

Bottom line: There shouldn't be any negative effect of a Type C charger from one manufacturer with a connected device from another, other than what the available amperage of that charger can deliver, and what the connected device (the phone) is designed to handle (or accept). If a phone can only handle one amp and a two amp charger is used, only one amp is used. There is no "forcing".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Yes I should probably ask this in another forum, but the General Prepaid discussion is where the action is and where the most knowledgeable people hang out.

I'm admittedly a few years behind the curve with cellphone hardware, and recently purchased an LG V20 from my son who gets a new phone every year. And lo and behold, the charger I've been using for the last few years with the trapezoidal end--the thin trapezoidal end unlike the old chargers with a wide trapezoidal end--doesn't fit in this V20. He informed me that it needs a type C charger, which was not included in the sale. (Now you tell me.)

But shopping around for them online I see that they are selling by model: for Samsung, for Motorola, for LG, etc. Is there really a difference? I can't believe there is, but before I purchase one, I want to make sure. I was thinking of picking one up at a b&m store today.
    USB-C plugs are all the same. They are not specific to a phone brand. I have bought USB-C cables at the dollar store that work fine.

Feedback Score
    According to GSMArena, the V20 has:

Fast charging 18W
    Quick Charge 3.0
    USB Power Delivery 2.0

Any charger with a USB C connector will charge your phone at 5 W. A charger and cable that support Quick Charge or Power Delivery will charge it faster. Faster charging, while convenient, can also accelerate the aging and degradation of the battery.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    My thanks to all who have responded. My son says he'll look for it but I could have one shipped from China before he would find it. I'll take bobdevnul's advice and buy one at the Dollar Store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    My thanks to all who have responded. My son says he'll look for it but I could have one shipped from China before he would find it. I'll take bobdevnul's advice and buy one at the Dollar Store.
    To be clear, I would buy a USB cable from the dollar store, but I would not buy a dollar store charger. The cables are not high quality. I doubt they would stand up to much handling and abuse. For something that mostly lays on my desk they have been good enough. I have not had one fail yet.

Feedback Score
    I learned my lesson no cheap cables & recently I bought quality adapters. Costs more surely but no strange inexplicable hardware problems either. Here's my latest combo.

Anker Powerline+ Micro USB 6ft Cable Double Braided Nylon
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerli.../dp/B019Q4TJZC

For my latest phone.

Anker USB-C (Male) to Micro USB (Female) Adapter
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I think her son should considerately cough up the cord.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I think her son should considerately cough up the cord.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app
    Definitely. And how dare he charge her for the phone. He should have given the phone to her for free.

If he can afford a new phone every year, then he certainly can afford to give it to his parent for nothing.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I learned my lesson no cheap cables & recently I bought quality adapters. Costs more surely but no strange inexplicable hardware problems either. Here's my latest combo.

Anker Powerline+ Micro USB 6ft Cable Double Braided Nylon
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerli.../dp/B019Q4TJZC

For my latest phone.

Anker USB-C (Male) to Micro USB (Female) Adapter
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I will have agree with this. I have bought dollar store cables in the past, and most of them only last about a week or two before they stop working. I only get the dollar store cables if I forgot the cable at home.

So far the best cheap cables that I have use is Rampow and Anker so far. I am testing out Ainope and even a no name cables. Funny thing is I had a store called "It's $5" that I got these cables from when they did 10 items for $5 days. Since this COVID-19 hit, they changed how things are done, and I have not been back to the store yet.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've found the Anker and Aukey cables and chargers seem to last. I've tried numerous "no name" cables from amazon and they just don't seem to hold up. And that is just leaving them plugged in to a charging block, not rolling them up, putting them in my pocket, etc.

Eric