Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Shaw to release mobile service and new bundles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0

    Shaw to release mobile service and new bundles

    Well... What most of us thought would happen will soon be a reality!

    Shaw Communications, just like the Big 3, will soon be officially launching their "brand" making Canada the country of the Big 4. Like rivals Bell (Virgin Mobile), Telus (Koodo & Public Mobile) and Rogers (Fido & Chat-R), Shaw will soon be launching "Shaw Mobile".

    To go off topic, we still have many MVNO's in Canada but they are not highly referenced as of lately. As for small players who did make an impact over the years, most of them have been acquired by the major telecom companies. As a result, we have noticed gradual price increases but for the most part, our wallets have seen a slight decline in monthly mobile expenditures since the inception of what I cringe to say is "competition" but nonetheless, we have seen some positive changes.

    On topic, Shaw is offering employees who port their number 4 months of $0 service as a means of testing the new roll-out and this "free trial" could extend upwards of 6 months. The confusion some may see or comment on is...

    With the quality of the current Freedom network, what is the difference if Shaw offers service as a parent company when the current Freedom network is still non-comparable to the competition? Simple answer...

    From what I've heard, Shaw wants to keep Freedom Mobile as a discount network, no different than Fido, Koodo and Virgin Mobile, the 3 most active subsidiary brands of the major carriers. As such, Shaw needs to differentiate themselves from what currently is being offered and they indeed will do this!

    Shaw will be able to offer mobile service as a bundle feature with other services thereby allowing consumers to have a unified bill while adding some savings month over month. The key thing comes with reception and service coverage. At current, with Freedom Mobile, if you fall outside of a coverage area, you will roam on one of the major carriers (Telus, Bell or Rogers). As a result, you can take advantage of unlimited calling/texts without incurred charges but you're still roaming. If you use data or MMS messaging, you're charged PPU (Pay Per Use) rates unless included in your plan.

    The problem with the above "roaming" is if you're near a tower, whether or not you get service, Freedom does not allow you to connect to a roaming partner thereby making the service useless. With Shaw, they implemented a fantastic measure to combat this. There will be increased towers which will be turned on under the Shaw brand and I believe it will be something similar to when Rogers bought Fido then offered CityFido consumers access to an "extended" footprint for $5 per month.

    Also, Shaw has been focusing their efforts on enhanced Internet speeds and roll-out of new modems for both consumer/business use. One thing a NOC (Network Operations Centre) technician advised me of is that the modems have (pardon my terminology) 2 WiFi bands in them whereby 1 is accessible to the end-user that can be accessed to connect shared devices etc... but the other "band" is private which is accessible only by Shaw. It essentially creates a broadband WiFi connection which Shaw can utilize for mobile load. This does not degrade the quality of Internet provided to the consumer/business but provides seamless access to it's customers for mobile use when in a fringe area.

    It's similar to Go WiFi but on an enhanced level. A little over my head but it's interesting to see where their focus is heading. It's been stated that they will continue to offer the discount services under the Freedom Mobile brand and are hoping to launch their "parent" service by late November of this year.

    I would also anticipate they will offer better roaming packages such as the Big-3 whereby, as an example, Freedom offers a plan where you get 30GB data, 5GB bonus data (35GB total - Home Data) but you're limited to 5GB of data (separate bucket) when roaming in the USA. I think Shaw Mobile will offer an all-inclusive plan where it's identical to Telus, Rogers & Bell and what you pay for can be used interchangeably whether in Canada or the USA.

    Very interesting! I'm looking forward to the roll out and changes this may have impacting consumers/businesses for the better come the holidays which always brings out promotions and enhanced competition.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    16
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is there any rumours of additional coverage in rural Ontario, Alberta or B.C.?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bibiking7777 View Post
    Is there any rumours of additional coverage in rural Ontario, Alberta or B.C.?
    From what I've heard, if they launch under the "Shaw" name, there will definitely be enhanced (true) coverage by Shaw themselves all throughout Canada. I cannot see them launching under their Shaw parent brand without turning on the towers they have or implementing the extended WiFi footprint. Doing so would be a catastrophic fail and Shaw is smarter than this.

    The launch will mean a fully operational network and a true 4th national player. Time will tell!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    16
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    The only issue I see with using the home router/AP as a cellular tower is range, unless it is massively implemented and that they have a critical mass of users. I hope they continue expanding, especially into cottage country.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bibiking7777 View Post
    The only issue I see with using the home router/AP as a cellular tower is range, unless it is massively implemented and that they have a critical mass of users. I hope they continue expanding, especially into cottage country.
    From what I've heard which is still speculative, Shaw has more towers which have yet to be "turned on". These will be specific to Shaw Mobile and most likely accessible by Freedom Customers for a nominal fee on top of their current price plan.

    As for router/AP as cell range, you answered your own question... Shaw is still the primary Internet company for the masses and even their resellers have been provided with updated modems so this has to mean something. Shaw is a very structured company and as referenced in my last post, I do not anticipate a launch in which the end result would be a catastrophic failure. They will carefully plan and implement calculated measures to ensure long term growth and success.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    41
    Feedback Score
    0
    How will they handle freedom customers that already have roaming part of a plan? For example at times I'm within reach of a freedom tower, barely, I'll get tossed to Rogers /Telus or whoever. I don't pay extra for that because it's included in my freedom plan but I'm sure Shaw still pays a pretty penny to piggyback off the partner service. So if now they are turning on Shaw specific towers will I just roam off that and have it count towards my roaming? Why would they want me to roam off their competitors if they don't need to.

    Treating freedom customers differently , at least those that already have a roaming package,sounds odd and difficult and I don't believe is what virgin, fido or Koodo do for their flanker customers?


    Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post
    From what I've heard which is still speculative, Shaw has more towers which have yet to be "turned on". These will be specific to Shaw Mobile and most likely accessible by Freedom Customers for a nominal fee on top of their current price plan.

    As for router/AP as cell range, you answered your own question... Shaw is still the primary Internet company for the masses and even their resellers have been provided with updated modems so this has to mean something. Shaw is a very structured company and as referenced in my last post, I do not anticipate a launch in which the end result would be a catastrophic failure. They will carefully plan and implement calculated measures to ensure long term growth and success.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,339
    Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I doubt they have "Shaw" specific towers that they won't allow access to freedom users, that statement has a big oversight.

    I think what you want to say is that Shaw will turn on more roaming towers, and setup handoff to those roaming towers (Rogers/Telus/Bell) when needed and/or by identifying locations that have poor native coverage to prioritize customer experience.

    In the end, we are going to get into that $65-$100 range with plans once again in near future.

    Even if consumers are not using "as much" data, companies will continue to push prices up including Shaw and its Freedom brand.

    I have the Freedom "Everywhere" $50/8GB Plan with 1GB US/nationwide usage and 2400 minutes. Works great, they dont have any plan that offers that "convenience" for that price today.

    Closest plan they offer today is $85 (15GB) with "3GB" and "Unlimited Calling" Nationwide/US......and its 70% more expensive.

    Sadly, the reality that Freedom was launched to destroy, slowly, Shaw is making it anything but with all these price hikes.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

    Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    I doubt they have "Shaw" specific towers that they won't allow access to freedom users, that statement has a big oversight.

    I think what you want to say is that Shaw will turn on more roaming towers, and setup handoff to those roaming towers (Rogers/Telus/Bell) when needed and/or by identifying locations that have poor native coverage to prioritize customer experience.

    In the end, we are going to get into that $65-$100 range with plans once again in near future.

    Even if consumers are not using "as much" data, companies will continue to push prices up including Shaw and its Freedom brand.

    I have the Freedom "Everywhere" $50/8GB Plan with 1GB US/nationwide usage and 2400 minutes. Works great, they dont have any plan that offers that "convenience" for that price today.

    Closest plan they offer today is $85 (15GB) with "3GB" and "Unlimited Calling" Nationwide/US......and its 70% more expensive.

    Sadly, the reality that Freedom was launched to destroy, slowly, Shaw is making it anything but with all these price hikes.
    I fully agree! I guess my initial point when I refer to "Shaw" towers is that, of what you've suggested. I think the towers will be turned on and for those, such as yourself who have a "legacy" plan, your roaming will be grandfathered. I think the agreements made between all roaming partners will remain in-tact and as Shaw towers gain more coverage, the Big-3 will be phased out.

    I think for new customers, they will probably have to pay a nominal fee to access the extended towers (similar to the Rogers -> Fido takeover) whereby existing customers with roaming were grandfathered and those without roaming or new sign ups had to pay a nominal $5 extended footprint fee.

    In the end, Shaw is going to price match the competition and you will see an increase with data usage (overages) being the primary cash cow. I do believe Shaw will still, somewhat, undercut the competition as here in the West Coast, from what I've seen, they seem to hold their pricing (limited increases) while somewhat undercutting the competition; at least when it comes to Cable/Internet, so I can see them doing the same with mobile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,339
    Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post
    I fully agree! I guess my initial point when I refer to "Shaw" towers is that, of what you've suggested. I think the towers will be turned on and for those, such as yourself who have a "legacy" plan, your roaming will be grandfathered. I think the agreements made between all roaming partners will remain in-tact and as Shaw towers gain more coverage, the Big-3 will be phased out.

    I think for new customers, they will probably have to pay a nominal fee to access the extended towers (similar to the Rogers -> Fido takeover) whereby existing customers with roaming were grandfathered and those without roaming or new sign ups had to pay a nominal $5 extended footprint fee.

    In the end, Shaw is going to price match the competition and you will see an increase with data usage (overages) being the primary cash cow. I do believe Shaw will still, somewhat, undercut the competition as here in the West Coast, from what I've seen, they seem to hold their pricing (limited increases) while somewhat undercutting the competition; at least when it comes to Cable/Internet, so I can see them doing the same with mobile.
    I dont agree that Shaw will charge more for customers, to its extended towers. I think the whole fido thing happened because Rogers already had a bigger footprint, so they could charge more. I think Freedom will continue to have access to the "Native" Shaw/Freedom towers, even as those increase in numbers. I feel the place where Shaw may be superior is with allowing access to "Partner" towers within "home" zones where their "Native" towers are poor in providing coverage, if Shaw is really going for the "Superior" deal out of Shaw/Freedom, that would be where they can shine, by granting access to partner towers so their customers stay connected no matter how variable the "home" coverage is.

    However, that also means Shaw would have to do their homework, and genuinely identify the weak spots in the coverage.

    It is all speculation, for all you know, Shaw is planning to just give access to the WiFi networks, so you use "WiFi" calling more often lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,728
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is great news for customers in BC and AB. Finally some (relatively) reasonable prices in Canada.

    Wonder what's up with this wording:

    "In a press release, the Calgary-based company on Thursday announced the launch of Shaw Mobile, which allows existing fibre internet customers to add up to six mobile lines to their account, each with unlimited talk and texting capacity for $0 a month."

    So can I get one data plan and and share my 25GB with 6 family members? That would be awesome... If it's no data it could still be workable for so many lower income Canadians (although hardly ideal).

    I remember Telus used this song on one of their commercials.... Now it's time to Jump --- away!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    I dont agree that Shaw will charge more for customers, to its extended towers. I think the whole fido thing happened because Rogers already had a bigger footprint, so they could charge more. I think Freedom will continue to have access to the "Native" Shaw/Freedom towers, even as those increase in numbers. I feel the place where Shaw may be superior is with allowing access to "Partner" towers within "home" zones where their "Native" towers are poor in providing coverage, if Shaw is really going for the "Superior" deal out of Shaw/Freedom, that would be where they can shine, by granting access to partner towers so their customers stay connected no matter how variable the "home" coverage is.

    However, that also means Shaw would have to do their homework, and genuinely identify the weak spots in the coverage.

    It is all speculation, for all you know, Shaw is planning to just give access to the WiFi networks, so you use "WiFi" calling more often lol
    +1

    Based on what I currently see, your analogy is bang on! This move by Shaw benefits a select market of those wishing to get free $0 service for Canada wide talk with Global text/pic/video messaging should they have a compatible home Internet package.

    The current plan structure is parallel to that of Freedom Mobile and no real added value. The Canada/USA/Mexico plan is somewhat misleading but detailed in the fine print. Should you reside in Canada with your device, you utilize calls to Canada/USA/Mexico but if in USA/Mexico, you can only call in the respective country you're in and back to Canada but if in the USA and you call Mexico or vice versa, you incur long distance/roaming charges.

    I think Shaw prematurely released service and as my contact stated, should they have towers ready to go, they should implement them now versus waiting. Poor coverage like Freedom and lack of partner network availability while in a "fringe" home zone does not do any good for Shaw as the "premium" brand.

    Another negative is the competition allows you to use your entire data bucket. Due to data roaming, Shaw, like Freedom caps the data bucket at a meager 2GB. The competition has them beat on this... hook, line & sinker.

    Time will tell but at this time, the model they've released is just another "Freedom" run under the parent name of Shaw without added benefit. No threat to the competition except for those people wanting a calling/texting plan for free/cheap.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    This is great news for customers in BC and AB. Finally some (relatively) reasonable prices in Canada.

    Wonder what's up with this wording:

    "In a press release, the Calgary-based company on Thursday announced the launch of Shaw Mobile, which allows existing fibre internet customers to add up to six mobile lines to their account, each with unlimited talk and texting capacity for $0 a month."

    So can I get one data plan and and share my 25GB with 6 family members? That would be awesome... If it's no data it could still be workable for so many lower income Canadians (although hardly ideal).

    I remember Telus used this song on one of their commercials.... Now it's time to Jump --- away!

    Not really any different than Shaw's subsidiary brand Freedom. Nothing to gain over current offerings except those who want a cheap calling/texting plan. Shaw brought out a Canada/USA/Mexico plan but it's not all inclusive roaming. They do not allow calling between the USA/Mexico if in either of those respective countries and the lack of data roaming 2GB is paltry compared to the competition which allows you to use your whole allotted data bucket.

Similar Threads

  1. New to T-Mobile, Service Question
    By jenna8110 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-06-2017, 04:06 PM
  2. New to Windows Mobile Smartphone and having trouble installing apps
    By Yupz in forum Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 03:41 PM
  4. Brand new T-Mobile service and SDA user
    By axc51 in forum Windows Mobile Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 04:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks