Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G7 Optimo Maxx from HSN - No signal at my home - what to do ?

Feedback Score

TF Moto G7 Optimo Maxx from HSN - No signal at my home - what to do ?

Hi,

I got this Tracfone Moto G7 Optimo Maxx from HSN on a deal for around 100 bucks. It is just a month ago and
    I since noticed that I have very weak signal at my home with dropped calls or inability to connect. I thought Verizon is good as I was using t-mobile prior to this but turns out Verizon has worse signal than T-mo at my home.
    I cant go back to t-mo as I use this for my work and T-mo doesnt get text messages due to outlook groups lack of support by t-mobile.

I also dont see wi-fi calling option with this phone and looks like my only other option is AT&T or xfinity mobile with wi-fi calling.

Is there anything that can be done with this phone other than selling it used or use as a paper weight ?
    Anyway to enable wi-fi calling or move this to AT&T SIM from tracfone itself ?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if TracFone supports Wi-Fi calling on Verizon? Until someone else chimes in you could check to make sure Wi-Fi calling is turned on in the phones secret menu. Dial *#*#4636#*#* then press phone info. Scroll down and make sure VoLTE & Wi-Fi calling are turned on. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    All new Tracfones are DL models and have the radios for all three providers. Buy a BYOP SIM kit (link below if needed) and activate the AT&T SIM. You will not be asked for the phones IMEI... and do not offer it because Tracfone will not knowlingly let you use a BYOP SIM in a branded Tracfone. All you need give is the SIM s/n. Some people are receiving wi-fi calling with AT&T but there is no guarantee.
    Check back for more details on switching providers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi calling is not a given on TF/VZW. Neither is reception of a cell phone carrier in your home if you happen to be in a fringe area and didn't check it out beforehand.

Since you seem to indicate there's [I]some[I] level of VZW signal, you could consider some sort of cellular signal booster if you can't find a way to get connected over your home internet. Going to be trial and error from this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Not sure if TracFone supports Wi-Fi calling on Verizon? Until someone else chimes in you could check to make sure Wi-Fi calling is turned on in the phones secret menu. Dial *#*#4636#*#* then press phone info. Scroll down and make sure VoLTE & Wi-Fi calling are turned on. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    Wow, I didnt know there is this secret menu and thanks for that.
    In any case , There are toggles for VoLTE and WiFI calling both of which were off. VoLTE can be changed but WiFi calling I am not able to.
    There is also EAB/ Presence provisioned that can be toggled.
    Then there is "set preferrred network type" select box with many options. WOuld changing this improve reception ?
    As I said , all I need is better reception for getting text messages. Everything else like data or phone calls is of no concern to me.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nspatt View Post
    I got this Tracfone Moto G7 Optimo Maxx from HSN on a deal for around 100 bucks.

I also dont see wi-fi calling option with this phone and looks like my only other option is AT&T or xfinity mobile with wi-fi calling.
    I don't know about TF-branded phones and AT&T service on TF. The attached file shows which factory-unlocked phones have HD Voice and/of WiFi-calling on native AT&T service, as 2/27/2020.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    They are showing that chart, but my Moto G6 Play, factory unlocked, on TF/BYOP/AT&T, and Pie, is showing VoLTE Provisioned in the secret menu. I actually noticed this before when I was looking things up including that chart. They need to update the chart, which might be too much trouble. But I don't know if the phone is actually using VoLTE.

The Moto G6 Play is showing a green slider dot that apparently can be shut off, which I didn't try.

A Moto G7 with similar specs, except for being on Android 10, is showing a gray slider dot in the ON position that is apparently permanent.

Also, the Preferred Network Type is different.

Feedback Score
    ....I also dont see wi-fi calling option with this phone and looks like my only other option is AT&T or xfinity mobile with wi-fi calling.
    I think xfinity is Verizon so no better signal there. But you're phones locked to a TF company since it's new. So xfinity is out for that reason too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    They are showing that chart, but my Moto G6 Play, factory unlocked, on TF/BYOP/AT&T, and Pie, is showing VoLTE Provisioned in the secret menu. But I don't know if the phone is actually using VoLTE.
    You can do this test to see if your phone is using VoLTE for calls:
    1. Install the Network Signal Info (NSI) app from Google Play and run it. Touch the bar graph and it'll change to a dial-and-needle display.
    2. With Data turned on, the Data and Voice info below the dial display should both say LTE/4G. The Data icon near the signal bar at top of the screen should show 4G/LTE or something similar. See 1st attachment.
    3. With the NSI app running, make a call. If you don't want to bother anybody, call my airport's automated weather line 785-234-1591. For this test, the party that you call does not need to be using AT&T.
    4. WHILE THE CALL IS IN PROGRESS, go back to the NSI app screen. If the phone is using VoLTE, the Data and Voice info should still show LTE/4G. If it changes to HSPA or 3G, the phone is not using VoLTE. Also the Data icon will change to H, or 3G, or 4G without the little LTE wording, that varies depending on the phone make/model.

These screenshots are from my LG Q7+ which is not enabled by AT&T for VoLTE, even though the TF/AT&T BYOP SIM is provisioned for VoLTE. When I put that SIM into my unlocked Moto E6 from Visible, the calls will use VoLTE.

Name:  LG-Q7-Before-Call.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  LG-Q7-During-Call.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  45.4 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I think xfinity is Verizon so no better signal there. But you're phones locked to a TF company since it's new. So xfinity is out for that reason too.
    Xfinity got WiFi calling so that works atleast to get texts between weak cellular signal and WiFi connectivity.
    If I go to Xfinity then the $100 I spent on Moto G7 optimo maxx (and used for less than a month) will go waste if I cant find a buyer. Thats actually one of things I wanted to find if I can sell this TF branded phone.

Also, does the unlocking from sites that advertise unlocking work for tracfone branded phones ?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    To the OP:

At this point, you might as well do as suggested earlier and get a BYOP SIM kit (only $1). Use the AT&T SIM and transfer your service to it. You can put that TF-AT&T SIM back into the Optimo Maxx and see if you get VoLTE, WiFi Calling, or even just better coverage over HSPA voice (still with LTE available for data).
    Last edited by mframe; 07-18-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    Did the VoLTE test. Moto G6 Play failed. Moto G7 passed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Did the VoLTE test. Moto G6 Play failed. Moto G7 passed.
    Thanks for the info. That's similar to the situation with my LG Q7+. The secret menu shows VoLTE provisioned, but I think it refers to the SIM. If the phone is not VoLTE-enabled by AT&T, no VoLTE for calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Thanks for the info. That's similar to the situation with my LG Q7+. The secret menu shows VoLTE provisioned, but I think it refers to the SIM. If the phone is not VoLTE-enabled by AT&T, no VoLTE for calls.
    Sorry it took so long. At first, I couldn't get things working because I still had WiFi on, duh.

Agree that the SIM is compliant but the phone may not be, despite the optimistic settings.

Feedback Score
    ................There are toggles for VoLTE and WiFI calling both of which were off. VoLTE can be changed but WiFi calling
    Did you turn VoLTE on and see if your calls improved? It won't solve the no wifi calling but sometimes the VoLTE signal is better then if you didn't have VoLTE on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast