Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dummy Questions #2 about cached data

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Dummy Questions #2 about cached data

I'm trying to keep my phones clean by dumping cached data on my browsers. But, I look at Settings>Storage and see how the internal memory is allotted. I see "Cached Data" and it is 420mbs on this phone. I tap it and it asks if I want to delete all cached data. Question: is it safe to dump this? Will it dump anything like passwords, saved files, etc?

There's also an "Other" under Internal storage and it lists 287 mbs data. If I tap it, it says it can delete data but lists items I wouldn't want to delete like stored files so I intend to leave it alone. I do notice it goes down a little if I uninstall an app. The same for Cached Data. But that makes sense since the apps collect data and files and those delete with the app.

I can't uninstall Sheets and Slides on this phone so I disabled them. They had stored data and I dumped their caches to 0.

I never used them so I'm unsure how they acquired a cache.

I'm now down to uninstalling messaging apps on deactivated phones, that's how stingy I'm getting.

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I'm trying to keep my phones clean by dumping cached data on my browsers. But, I look at Settings>Storage and see how the internal memory is allotted. I see "Cached Data" and it is 420mbs on this phone. I tap it and it asks if I want to delete all cached data. Question: is it safe to dump this? Will it dump anything like passwords, saved files, etc?
    It is completely safe to clear storage cache. It does not clear any passwords or saved files. I've been doing it monthly for years. The cache is the stored last state of apps. It helps them start more quickly the next time they are run. I have not noticed any lag in starting apps after clearing cache.

There's also an "Other" under Internal storage and it lists 287 mbs data. If I tap it, it says it can delete data but lists items I wouldn't want to delete like stored files so I intend to leave it alone. I do notice it goes down a little if I uninstall an app. The same for Cached Data. But that makes sense since the apps collect data and files and those delete with the app.
    You can look through the files and see if there is anything you recognize that you want to delete - old temporary downloads, etc. Otherwise, I would leave them alone.

I can't uninstall Sheets and Slides on this phone so I disabled them. They had stored data and I dumped their caches to 0.

I never used them so I'm unsure how they acquired a cache.
    Clearing data and cache on disabled apps is a good thing to do. It's just wasted space.

I'm now down to uninstalling messaging apps on deactivated phones, that's how stingy I'm getting.
    I need to go through my active phones and clean house of unwanted apps. Maybe I'll get around to it someday. :~>

Another unrelated problem is disappearing apps. One of my favorite apps is Raindar. It is a very small and simple weather radar and traffic app. I got a new phone recently and Raindar is no longer in the Play Store. I couldn't find it in the APK repositories either. Using the APKExtractor app I was able to extract the app from another phone and install it on the new phone.

There is no guarantee that an extracted app apk file will work on a different phone or version of Android, but this one did. It's not a bad idea to extract app APKs for favorite/key apps that might disappear. You can store them somewhere off the phone, Google Drive works, but you can't email them as attachments with Gmail since they are considered to be executable program files.

Extracted APKs are also useful for if an app update is worse than it was before. This happened with TVGuide a few years ago. The updated app did not work at all.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Clearing a browser's cached won't wipe out saved files, but it will wipe out "cookies" from sites you had visited. For example: if you used a browser to view Howard Forums regularly as a logged in members, then decide to clear the browser's cache. Next time you visit HoFo, you'll be treated as a Guest, all the threads in the forums will be highlighted instead of just threads with new posts you haven't viewed yet, when you get into a thread it'll show the very 1st post instead of the last post that you viewed when logged in. Some sites, especially sites that require 2-step authentication will require you to authenticate again by sending you a code via text or email, because it doesn't "remember your device".

Nowadays, most of my phones have at least 16GB of internal memory, some have 32GB or 64GB, I don't bother cleaning up the browser's cache anymore, unless I went to a "hacked" site and want to clear out any potential bad things that it stored in the browser's cache.

Feedback Score
    Get the CCleaner app. Use its Quick Clean function. You can review what it's going to clean. I have used it a lot on all of my phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for answering. I might try to dump the cache on one phone and see how that goes. If it only messes with things that can be easily restored, and only dumps configuration data it should be ok. I just worry about my Internally stored docs or even my SD card stored files, photos, and so forth. If it messes with passwords I can just sign in again.

I don't like disappearing apps either. Some older apps probably aren't compatible with newer OS, but I just liked them better. Unfortunately, try to find them again on the Play Store and they're not to be found. I try to install apps from the Play Store Library in my Apps section, it will list Play Store apps I've installed before using that Google or Gmail ID, but not always. I can't find some of them. Or some of the apps were preinstalled on older phones and not through Play Store. I like some of the preinstalled messaging apps for their features that can't be found on newer phones.

My TF Pixi phone had a good messaging app that allowed subject line to be added to convert SMS to MMS. It allowed wallpaper themes on messaging. Just friendly features like that. I like the free Textra app but had to switch back to Google Messages for better spam blocking and reporting option. Otherwise I much preferred Textra. I could choose MMS instead of SMS for conversation, color themes that aren't so drab. Google Messages allows dark mode but the chat bubbles are drab blue or dark. It doesn't allow me to convert to MMS, it doesn't switch a string of SMS to MMS until I've written about 7 short texts. I guess the spam prevention is worth giving up the custom touches but I don't know why we can't have both.

I'm sort of a tech dummy and afraid if I touch an unknown button something will go poof.

I should go see about dumping the cache on this phone...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Dumped the cache from 420mb down to 0 and "Other" was reduced automatically.

Cleared 420mb of cached data.
    Other went down to 43.53mb from 287.
    Apps up to 2.12gb from 1.89
    7.53gb free up from 7.12
    8.47gb used down from 8.89

No trouble with Gmail or HoFo passwords (didn't have to sign in again).

I'll post if I note any issues. But definitely would be a way to free up extra space if the storage needed nag messages start up.

Generally I don't get the nag messages on my 16gb phones, but for that reason retired my 8gb phones from even deactivated use over WiFi. Was tired of "needing storage space freed up" messages when I'd get down to around or under 1 gb of free internal storage. I'm frugal on apps and store most docs on SD cards so my 16 gb devices are still pretty nag free, but in case I want to add a useful app or keep updating the apps I use, I figure I should try to keep the storage lean. Plus it occurred to me there could be unwanted snoop stuff cached in with my data.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    2nd phone cache dumped... Actually had 880mb in the cache.

Deleted 880mb cached data
    Other reduced automatically to 5.26mb from 274mb
    3.86gb apps up from 3.59
    6.19gb free memory up from 5.33gb
    9.81gb used of 16 down from 10.67

Glad I decided to do the cleanup. The phones have been choking on unneeded junk.

Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The cache in the phone is no different the the cache on your home computer. The cache is only meant as a temporary storage space when either installing or updating applications. It's content is safe to delete.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The cache in the phone is no different the the cache on your home computer. The cache is only meant as a temporary storage space when either installing or updating applications. It's content is safe to delete.
    Glad I learned that because the cached data really adds up.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions for dummies!

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Glad I learned that because the cached data really adds up.
    Starting with Android 8.0 Oreo, there is an automatic cache cleaning process that avoids accumulated buildups in the cache partition. This does not zero out the cache like a manual clearing does, but removes some older data. The global cache partition is not shown anymore in Settings > Storage, and there is no "Clear All" function. You still can clear the cache for individual apps.

Before this the cache partition could build up real fast, as few users knew to manually clear the caches. I cleared out a friend's Galaxy S5 that had run out of internal storage, and it newly accumulated 500 MB in just a few months. I think the "auto clear" function is a good idea, especially with 16 GB phones.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have had a few phones with a manufacturer installed cleaner.
    Here is the cleaner i believe most people use. Other cleaners use what looks like a copy of this set up.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eaner&hl=en_us

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I'll give the cleaners a try.

My Moto e5 doesn't seem to have the clear all function. Cleaning the cache app by app would be a monster.

I do dump the cache on browsers. In fact I still had to after clearing the whole cache on one of my other phones, not sure why.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I'll give the cleaners a try.

My Moto e5 doesn't seem to have the clear all function. Cleaning the cache app by app would be a monster.
    They removed Clear (all) Cache from Settngs -> Storage in favor of an automatic cache clearing function in one of the recent Android versions - someone said Android 8. Auto seems to work pretty well. If you want to obsess about it, you can do it app by app. I have. It doesn't make much difference.

I do dump the cache on browsers. In fact I still had to after clearing the whole cache on one of my other phones, not sure why.
    The browser cache is stored in app data not app cache. If you clear app data, that will clear usernames, passwords, configuration settings, stored data for the app, etc.

I learned of cache size building up when SWMBO was at the boy's college graduation several states away and couldn't take any pictures because storage was full. She was freaked out and screaming. That was not fun. There was something wonky about that phone, an AT&T Galaxy S4, that caused the cache to just keep filling. My Verizon S4 did not do that. We learned to manage it by just clearing cache once a month.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I learned of cache size building up when SWMBO was at the boy's college graduation several states away and couldn't take any pictures because storage was full.
    I set my phones to have photos/videos taken by the phone's camera go to external storage. Lots of space on a microSD card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I set my phones to have photos/videos taken by the phone's camera go to external storage. Lots of space on a microSD card.
    It's not that there were too many pictures for the internal storage. It was a wonky phone that kept filling cache until the phone went haywire. When the internal storage got full it wasn't just that it wouldn't take more pictures, the whole phone function would go wonky.

I thought about a SD for her phone, but I had had two SDs go bad in my phones. When they went bad, not only were the contents lost, the phone would also go bezerk. If I put a SD in hers and it went bad, lost all the pictures, and the phone went bezirk, it would be ALL MY FAULT with hell to pay for it. Based on past experience there would be no forgiving or forgetting.

It wasn't worth the risk. It's not like she would know that an SD was an option unless I told her, so it wouldn't be my fault for not putting one in. Win-Win.

The SD cards that I had go bad were well known brand names that I bought at Best Buy and Walmart in the stores. Presumably they were not counterfeit junk.

We have moved on from the S4 to a Galaxy A20 that has automatic cache clearing and presumably not the software bug that the S4 had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast