Thread: Do I still need to engage a chat session with TF to move acct to new phone?

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Do I still need to engage a chat session with TF to move acct to new phone?

Hey Guys;
    I will be receiving my new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx Tracfone with bundled airtime today. I will need to move my account from my current Tracfone (LG Fiesta 2) to the new phone.
    In the past, I have used a chat session to accomplish this.

Is the chat session still the preferred method to do this, or is there an automated method I can do online?

Thanks for your help
    Ultrarunner

Feedback Score
    You can certainly do this online, but it's much safer to have a Tracfone rep keep an eye on the proceedings. Tracfone's automated systems are just not trustworthy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Hey Guys;
    I will be receiving my new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx Tracfone with bundled airtime today. I will need to move my account from my current Tracfone (LG Fiesta 2) to the new phone.
    In the past, I have used a chat session to accomplish this.

Is the chat session still the preferred method to do this, or is there an automated method I can do online?

Thanks for your help
    Ultrarunner

It's preferable to use a chat, if a lot of minutes/service to transfer from the old phone are involved (for protection).
    I did mine about 2 weeks ago, and the whole process went smoothly, and took less than 10 minutes... including activation.

Feedback Score
    I just transfered service online for two phones with lots of min,text and data. No issues at all. New phones were activated within minutes.
    I think if the transfer are within the same carrier there is less risk these days.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys;
    I guess I'll do the chat session, since that is how I did it in the past, and had no problems.
    I have lots of minutes and texts on my account, and about 1.5GB data. The phone is bundled with 1500x1500x1500.

Now I'll have to figure out how to restore apps/data from the old phone to the new.
    No problem for my main Google acct, which is attached to most of my apps, and I have backup turned on.
    But for the 2nd account, I'm not so sure. I don't see an option to select both accounts for the backup, so not sure about how to restore those apps/data onto the new phone.
    It would not be a real problem to simply re-install and download the data, but if I would prefer avoiding doing that, if possible.
    Some of the data is maps I purchased for Avenza maps app.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Short answer: You can do it yourself online, but if something goes wrong you'll wish you had used Chat.

Long answer: Here's what happened to me yesterday (long story)...

Last month, I bought three TF/AT&T BYOP SIM pre-loaded with the $15 Plan (500/500/500 30-day) for about $1 each on TF web site using a $15 discount code. I had planned to use them to port some lines out of Sprint after doing their $300 reward deal. But my plan changed and I ended up using H2O SIMs for that purpose.

I recently bought a new LG Q7+ phone and wanted to use those BYOP SIMs for testing. Last Saturday, I activated SIM#1 with a new number, it got the bundled units/days, used it to do some testing. On Monday, I used the online function to activate SIM#2 with a transfer from SIM#1. It went fine. I decided to use the online because the units/days involved didn't cost much and I don't really care if the phone number is lost. Plus, it's USUALLY safe to do it yourself online when both phones/SIMs in the transfer use the same carrier.

Yesterday, I decided to activate SIM#3 online with a transfer from the TF/AT&T BYOP SIM in my main phone, which over 5000 units in each bucket and service to 2025. After I clicked SUBMIT, an error message showed up, telling me to call TF, and the screen froze. I really wanted to kick myself. I force-closed the browser, then checked my main phone's balance and made some test calls/texts. Thankfully it still works normally. Whew!

A few hours later, couldn't resist my curiosity, I used the online again to activated SIM#3 with a transfer from SIM#2 and it worked. I don't really know what caused it to fail when I tried to transfer from my main phone.

One side thing I found when doing testing with the new TF/AT&T BYOP SIM is that it's provisioned for VoLTE and uses VoLTE when placed in my Visible unlocked Moto E6. The TF/AT&T BYOP SIM in my main phone was activated in 2018 and is not provisioned for VoLTE.

Name:  Tracfone-Transfer-2020-07-14-error.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  22.2 KB

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, use chat and ask first for your remaining airtime on the old phone so its written there in the chat... which the CSR cannot later deny is incorrect. If it goes quickly you also need to know the combined totals are correct when the CSR gives them to you after you ask.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I did an online transfer over the weekend from an old LG Treasure (ATT) to an LG Rebel 2 (Verizon) that I bought from HSN back in 2017. The port didn't go through until Monday, but to my surprise everything transferred perfectly and I also got the 1200-1200-1200 from the HSN bundle.
    And a TracFone rep called me on Monday to verify that everything was right.
    Interesting sidenote: the system thinks the Rebel 2 is a Rebel 3.

Feedback Score
    You hit a double lottery. Online transfers are notoriously unreliable and a rep calling someone out of the blue is practically unheard of.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that the HSN Rebel 2 was bought in 2017 and still got the bundled days/units when activated in 2020. That's probably the longest "delayed activation" that I know of.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Interesting that the HSN Rebel 2 was bought in 2017 and still got the bundled days/units when activated in 2020. That's probably the longest "delayed activation" that I know of.
    Hpham, I like to watch those marketing videos on the HSN website, and I think I remember one of the women recently saying that you can wait (an unspecified time) to activate. I certainly had not intended to wait this long, but it worked out okay.