Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5G UWB not priority over Mid Band auction and nationwide low band?

Feedback Score

5G UWB not priority over Mid Band auction and nationwide low band?

Do you think that the two will take Verizonís intentions slightly away from UWB especially in states that there are at least one or two cities that already have UWB? Iím in North Carolina and we already have Greensboro and Charlotte as having UWB but I live in Raleigh an Iím hoping to get it this year but thatís looking bleak since Verizon said it would only have time to light up a total of 60 cities by the end of 2020. T-Mobile isnít a real option for me and I just tried out AT&Ts 5g+ network but my Samsung phone had so many issues connecting to the towers so I returned the phone but kept the line just in case they drastically improve here. What do you think? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I believe Itís going to be a very long and slow process getting there

Feedback Score
    Verizon can participate in an auction and deploy mmwave 5G at the same time. As far as lowband 5G that's just a software upgrade. if there was any addition hardware need that has already been added since Verizon has been deploying CBRS and LAA in many area for nearly 2 years now.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From what I gather, a common scenario will be UWB as a supplementary download carrier over a sub-7 GHz anchor & upload because of how downlink is less range-constrained than uplink.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I am sure they are going to continue rolling out their UWB with what spectrum they have while also focusing on the mid/low band auctions. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    I am sure they are going to continue rolling out their UWB with what spectrum they have while also focusing on the mid/low band auctions. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    But the prospect of only 60 cities this year is pretty much accurate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon can participate in an auction and deploy mmwave 5G at the same time. As far as lowband 5G that's just a software upgrade. if there was any addition hardware need that has already been added since Verizon has been deploying CBRS and LAA in many area for nearly 2 years now.
    How do I find out if theyíve been doing that where Iím at? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Probably. unless covid slows that down. It takes time to deploy mmwave. Deploying lowband and CBRS/C-band will take less time. As I said even where it's deployed it's not widely so. All they have to do is deploy on on small cell and they can claim deployment on that city. to "fully" light up a city will take years. I wouldn't worry about mmwave right now.

Feedback Score
    I’m in North Carolina and we already have Greensboro and Charlotte as having UWB but I live in Raleigh an I’m hoping to get it this year
    The statement that a certain city "has UWB" is misleading at best. I live in an area that "has UWB" (Hampton Roads, VA), but unless you are right next to those few stations, you will see no benefit. The UWB coverage is terrible.
    Click on an area and then zoom in the maps to see the actual coverage:
    https://www.verizon.com/5g/coverage-map/

VZW needs that software upgrade for mid-band 5G, while they are building the UWB in the next decades.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score

For UWB I believe that is what they said. The low/mid band will be the flip of a switch with DSS similar to what T-Mobile did and claimed "nationwide 5G coverage" since it will be using their LTE spectrum as the backbone.

Feedback Score
    Midband, and to a slightly lesser extent low band ARE way more important than UWB/mmWave.

Verizon has plenty of UWB licenses for the time being. What they lack is low and midband spectrum for LTE and 5G via DSS.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score

It will be interesting to see how mmW tech evolves over the next few years. Over time Iím seeing more and more mmW deployments even on macro sites. Verizon is working with some vendors to deploy repeater technologies. They plan on installing them between cell sites and certain access points to extend range and even provide indoor coverage. I believe mmW will be a robust technology but not for at least another few years. Verizon needs to focus on the next two mid band auctions and theyíre going to need a lot of spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The statement that a certain city "has UWB" is misleading at best. I live in an area that "has UWB" (Hampton Roads, VA), but unless you are right next to those few stations, you will see no benefit. The UWB coverage is terrible.
    Click on an area and then zoom in the maps to see the actual coverage:
    https://www.verizon.com/5g/coverage-map/

VZW needs that software upgrade for mid-band 5G, while they are building the UWB in the next decades.
    Seems pointless to purchase a 5g phone until carriers deploy much more mid and low band 5g in oneís area and also mmwave. Iím trying to prevent myself from driving an hour away (Greensboro NC) just to test out their speeds. Lol. I did it with AT&T which has 5g+ here but very limited. Itís much closer to me. From MANY attempts at researching where exactly the sites are I purchased the s20+ 5g and I found just appropriately two sites that showed 5g on my phone but my phone couldnít connect to it. I talked to tech support but they where useless. So I returned the phone.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Seems pointless to purchase a 5g phone until carriers deploy much more mid and low band 5g in one’s area and also mmwave. I’m trying to prevent myself from driving an hour away (Greensboro NC) just to test out their speeds. Lol. I did it with AT&T which has 5g+ here but very limited. It’s much closer to me. From MANY attempts at researching where exactly the sites are I purchased the s20+ 5g and I found just appropriately two sites that showed 5g on my phone but my phone couldn’t connect to it. I talked to tech support but they where useless. So I returned the phone.

It’s not pointless at all to buy a 5G phone now. Even without 5G, it still has the latest tech (and once 5G is turned on in more areas) it makes it more future proof as well. But yeah if you want to drive around just to post “look at my speeds” then yes, right now you won’t have much luck. Verizon said they are going to use DSS by the end of this year (and not everyone upgrades every year to a new phone).

Feedback Score

If you can wait, it would be best to wait for phones with the Qualcomm x60 baseband. This chipset supports 4G, LAA/CBRS, 5G DSS, 5G NR, and mmWave/sub-6 CA. In the smallest, lowest energy package to date.

Definitely do not buy anything using the x50 chipset. Most newer 5G capable products coming out now use the x55 or x50.

Not sure what the iPhone 12 Pro will use. Likely x55, but small chance of x60. Most new Samsungís, etc. will use the x60 in Q1-2021.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JSchnee21; 07-18-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast