Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Domestic Roaming

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Domestic Roaming

Does T-Mobile roam on AT&T in the event that they don’t have coverage in an area but AT&T does have coverage?

Sprint used to roam on Verizon in areas that had no native Sprint coverage.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but it is not common and it may go against any roaming limits you have.

I had previously been able to roam on AT&T in New Mexico, Kansas, and most recently in rural Colorado.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Does T-Mobile roam on AT&T in the event that they don’t have coverage in an area but AT&T does have coverage?

Sprint used to roam on Verizon in areas that had no native Sprint coverage.
    Very rarely although I have seen it before. But they'd rather not pay for their customers to roam on AT&T so it's blocked in most places.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Be aware... TMobile has roaming in some markets, typically rural areas like Vermont, upstate NY and parts of Northern/UP Michigan. Their reps will tell you that you have roaming (as recent as last week for me), abd even tell you that it will work... But in most TMobile areas... It will not.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile uses a technique called LAC-blocking to control where customers can roam on various carriers. AT&T is one of the roaming partners that T-Mobile most heavily restricts because it's just a cash drain for T-Mobile.

So, can T-Mobile customers roam AT&T "in the event that they don’t have coverage in an area but AT&T does have coverage?"
    The answer is "No!" You can roam AT&T only in a few, select places where T-Mobile allows it.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    I was surprised to find AT&T roaming in central PA is still active a couple of weeks ago. Not sure of how big the area is but it was 3G roaming, not LTE. I usually have my phone locked to LTE so for the past couple of years while in that area east of State College I've had no service instead of the roaming.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Very rarely although I have seen it before. But they'd rather not pay for their customers to roam on AT&T so it's blocked in most places.
    Att has a lousy 3g network and you are not missing much by not roaming on them. Any how T-Mobile will have a much larger network in a few years. Surely surpassing att will not be a problem for them. Roaming will not be a issue fir T-Mobile in a few years.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    Att has a lousy 3g network and you are not missing much by not roaming on them. Any how T-Mobile will have a much larger network in a few years. Surely surpassing att will not be a problem for them. Roaming will not be a issue fir T-Mobile in a few years.
    Cool. The next time I'm stuck in a no service area and can't make a call, I can console myself with the knowledge that if I just wait a few years, T-Mo will eventually come and give me service...

Reminds me of a bit from the old "Flintstones" cartoon, where Fred takes the gang to see the Grand Canyon. When they get there, it's just a huge flat plain with a tiny creek running through it. Wilma says "It doesn't look like much..." and Fred says "well not now, but they expect it will be a big thing someday!"

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Cool. The next time I'm stuck in a no service area and can't make a call, I can console myself with the knowledge that if I just wait a few years, T-Mo will eventually come and give me service...

Reminds me of a bit from the old "Flintstones" cartoon, where Fred takes the gang to see the Grand Canyon. When they get there, it's just a huge flat plain with a tiny creek running through it. Wilma says "It doesn't look like much..." and Fred says "well not now, but they expect it will be a big thing someday!"

Just because T-Mobile shows no service, doesn't really mean there is. Your phone could be using AT&T / Verizon for emergency calls (911 Only)- It's happened to be a few times.

A way to check is to download cell mapper.

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    I have roam'd on other carriers in Wyoming, Alaska, New Mexico, and St Croix. While I was able to Roam on AT&T only for Voice and Text. I had to select other carriers to get Data.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    Just because T-Mobile shows no service, doesn't really mean there is. Your phone could be using AT&T / Verizon for emergency calls (911 Only)- It's happened to be a few times.

A way to check is to download cell mapper.
    Yeah, I understand. I was just pointing out the absolute ridiculousness of the statement I was replying to.

Having access to 911 in a true emergency is almost always available, thankfully. It's the not-quite-emergencies that are the problem; needing a tow truck if the car breaks down, calling a hotel when running late to tell them to hold your reservation, etc. (The sort of stuff you can't call 911 for!)

For that reason, despite being a happy T-Mo customer of nearly 19 years, I've *always* carried a backup phone on an AT&T or Verizon MVNO when traveling. Seems like a safer bet than taking T-Buttler's advice of just hunkering down in a dead spot and waiting for T-Mo to build service around me "in a few years"!

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I'm still not comfortable with just a tmobile phone, especially if I'm coming home late at night. Just att, sure. Just Verizon, sure. Just tmobile, no way.

I used to be more accepting of it but coming home from work at 2am I saw an accident. My tmobile phone had nothing whatsoever, even 911 didn't work which was surprising. We weren't even in the sticks but it was a road that wasn't heavily traveled. Luckily a man drove up with an att phone and called for medics. I kept the lady calm and she turned out ok but if nobody else came up I would have had to leave her until I got a signal to call.
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Yeah, I understand. I was just pointing out the absolute ridiculousness of the statement I was replying to.

Having access to 911 in a true emergency is almost always available, thankfully. It's the not-quite-emergencies that are the problem; needing a tow truck if the car breaks down, calling a hotel when running late to tell them to hold your reservation, etc. (The sort of stuff you can't call 911 for!)

For that reason, despite being a happy T-Mo customer of nearly 19 years, I've *always* carried a backup phone on an AT&T or Verizon MVNO when traveling. Seems like a safer bet than taking T-Buttler's advice of just hunkering down in a dead spot and waiting for T-Mo to build service around me "in a few years"!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    ...... My tmobile phone had nothing whatsoever, even 911 didn't work which was surprising. .....
    Now that is surprising. That's not how it's supposed to work. What exactly happened? How long did you wait for it to connect?

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Domestic Roaming

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Yeah I'm still not comfortable with just a tmobile phone, especially if I'm coming home late at night. Just att, sure. Just Verizon, sure. Just tmobile, no way.

I used to be more accepting of it but coming home from work at 2am I saw an accident. My tmobile phone had nothing whatsoever, even 911 didn't work which was surprising. We weren't even in the sticks but it was a road that wasn't heavily traveled. Luckily a man drove up with an att phone and called for medics. I kept the lady calm and she turned out ok but if nobody else came up I would have had to leave her until I got a signal to call.
    Typical att lover pointing out how bad T-Mobile is. I have no problems in rural areas with my T-Mobile service.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is a few spots in West Virginia where T-Mo still roams on AT&T's HSPA/HSPA+ Network where USCC doesn't have coverage and even in a few spots where they do. But it's strictly throttled. It's a wonder they don't use it in Rocky Gap, VA where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage but AT&T, VZW, and Sprint all do and there's no US Cellular there either.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast