Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Domestic Roaming

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Does T-Mobile roam on AT&T in the event that they don’t have coverage in an area but AT&T does have coverage?

Sprint used to roam on Verizon in areas that had no native Sprint coverage.
    T-Mobile has been cutting roaming on AT&T for years. Not sure if any remains. It's expensive, especially for data roaming.

You're correct that Sprint used to have extensive Verizon roaming. I guess this will disappear soon, if it hasn't already. It's ironic that the Sprint/T-Mobile merger will result in less coverage for Sprint's subscribers.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Cool. The next time I'm stuck in a no service area and can't make a call, I can console myself with the knowledge that if I just wait a few years, T-Mo will eventually come and give me service...

Reminds me of a bit from the old "Flintstones" cartoon, where Fred takes the gang to see the Grand Canyon. When they get there, it's just a huge flat plain with a tiny creek running through it. Wilma says "It doesn't look like much..." and Fred says "well not now, but they expect it will be a big thing someday!"

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    LOL. I've been hearing the "just wait a few years" narrative, regarding T-Mobile, for more than ten years.

How is it that some people fall so in love with a big corporation that their critical thinking skills are lost? I never see this kind of narrative on the AT&T or Verizon forums, I see a lot more criticism than excuses on those forums. Criticism, when fact-based, is a GOOD thing because the carriers have to know what people are thinking.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    T-Mobile has been cutting roaming on AT&T for years. Not sure if any remains. It's expensive, especially for data roaming.

You're correct that Sprint used to have extensive Verizon roaming. I guess this will disappear soon, if it hasn't already. It's ironic that the Sprint/T-Mobile merger will result in less coverage for Sprint's subscribers.

Verizon stated years ago it was killing CDMA off, so Sprint would have lost that coverage regardless of the merger.

Sprint subscribers like me will be seeing a lot of network changes over the next few years, I agree it will not always be good changes. Though as far as native (not roaming) coverage is concerned, Sprint subs will have better coverage once the integration is farther along. Sprint's native network had a significantly smaller footprint compared to T-Mobile's native network.

Sprint did have an agreement with AT&T that could supercede T-Mobile's existing agreement, and T-Mobile has to honor Sprint's contracts until they end. That would be a good thing for Sprint subs (for roaming) and possibly for T-Mobile subs as well.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here is that clip from the Flintstones: https://youtu.be/xf4pUZPaz5k .

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Verizon stated years ago it was killing CDMA off, so Sprint would have lost that coverage regardless of the merger.

Sprint subscribers like me will be seeing a lot of network changes over the next few years, I agree it will not always be good changes. Though as far as native (not roaming) coverage is concerned, Sprint subs will have better coverage once the integration is farther along. Sprint's native network had a significantly smaller footprint compared to T-Mobile's native network.

Sprint did have an agreement with AT&T that could supercede T-Mobile's existing agreement, and T-Mobile has to honor Sprint's contracts until they end. That would be a good thing for Sprint subs (for roaming) and possibly for T-Mobile subs as well.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    I mean, as far as AT&T roaming, they do not have to “honor” anything, they can pull that at anytime. It’s just a network use rate agreement from AT&T at best, and AT&T I’m sure would be happy to get Sprint/T-Mobile subscribers off the roaming (it’s more customers they can grab, if that particular customer *really* needed AT&T coverage)

If T-Mobile is as serious as I think they’re gonna be, with ~40MHz in 600MHz and 10MHz in 700MHz, they’ll be able to make a decent rural low-band 5G/LTE experience, and AWS/PCS will fill in the gaps closer to the site to allow more balanced “speed” in those areas.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    LOL. I've been hearing the "just wait a few years" narrative, regarding T-Mobile, for more than ten years.

How is it that some people fall so in love with a big corporation that their critical thinking skills are lost? I never see this kind of narrative on the AT&T or Verizon forums, I see a lot more criticism than excuses on those forums. Criticism, when fact-based, is a GOOD thing because the carriers have to know what people are thinking.

Heh... I've never trusted any carrier to honor any sales pitch on future anything except raising prices. I will take them to task when they promote '4G LTE Verified coverage' when none exists. I know their roaming has shrunk - specifically in Kauai, where I used to roam on At&t (was B2/4), now has B12/71 as well. I suspect that mostly tourists use TMobile. Similarly in upstate NY. Much is roaming or 'Emergency SoS'. Doubtful that locals use it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I mean, as far as AT&T roaming, they do not have to “honor” anything, they can pull that at anytime. It’s just a network use rate agreement from AT&T at best, and AT&T I’m sure would be happy to get Sprint/T-Mobile subscribers off the roaming (it’s more customers they can grab, if that particular customer *really* needed AT&T coverage)

If T-Mobile is as serious as I think they’re gonna be, with ~40MHz in 600MHz and 10MHz in 700MHz, they’ll be able to make a decent rural low-band 5G/LTE experience, and AWS/PCS will fill in the gaps closer to the site to allow more balanced “speed” in those areas.
    Agreed why should T-Mobile pay the duopoly for people to roam on them. That money could go towards network deployments.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    Agreed why should T-Mobile pay the duopoly for people to roam on them. That money could go towards network deployments.
    Because if the subscriber (Bob) breaks down in the middle of nowhere and can't call the road service with T-Mobile, when he gets home, Bob will become a subscriber of the duopoly. So, until T-Mobile's coverage is equal to AT&T's or Verizon's, they will need some roaming. Unfortunately, they don't have access to Sprint's fine control over roaming and have to content themselves with LAC blocking.

I'm actually more concerned about reports that T-Mobile phones can't call 911 on AT&T or Verizon's LTE networks.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 08-05-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Cost benefit analysis. If the payments to roam on the duopoly are lower than the cost to add coverage and the ongoing costs for upkeep of the equipment, tower leases, electricity, etc. why spend the money for the expanded coverage? Public corporations aren't in business to lose money.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    Cost benefit analysis. If the payments to roam on the duopoly are lower than the cost to add coverage and the ongoing costs for upkeep of the equipment, tower leases, electricity, etc. why spend the money for the expanded coverage? Public corporations aren't in business to lose money.
    That should be 'private' corporations. TMobile, like AT&T and Verizon have a cost/benefit analysis. Rural highway coverage is mostly where TMobile has improved their coverage, but typically have poor rural coverage in many (not all) areas compared to the other 2. Their primary goal (IMHO) has to been to cover urban/suburban, and places where those people visit/travel to. How many upstate NY or Northern MI (including the UP) TMobile / Sprint stores are there? How many At&t and Verizon?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That should be 'private' corporations. TMobile, like AT&T and Verizon have a cost/benefit analysis. Rural highway coverage is mostly where TMobile has improved their coverage, but typically have poor rural coverage in many (not all) areas compared to the other 2. Their primary goal (IMHO) has to been to cover urban/suburban, and places where those people visit/travel to. How many upstate NY or Northern MI (including the UP) TMobile / Sprint stores are there? How many At&t and Verizon?
    Being that TMUS is a publicly traded stock makes it a public corporation.

I don't disagree with any of your other points as they are spot on. You go where the money is, just like the automakers who are abandoning cars for the higher margin trucks and SUVs. While T-Mo has historically been able to focus on the urban/suburban and stringing highway coverage in between the acquisition of Sprint and the clear goal to compete with the big two will force their hand to fill in these gaps if they wish to be considered an equal. With their B71 spectrum they finally have the tool to do that in a less cost prohibitive way.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is a difference between a 'private/public company/corporations' and a 'privately/biblically held company/corporations'. The latter, is what I expect you are referring to, and yes.. They aren't there to lose money.

Feedback Score
    A lot does, but mostly in rural areas. Alaska, West Virginia, Vermont, Maine, Montana, the Dakotas, and parts of northern Michigan and Wisconsin.

It's throttled to 128kbps and capped at 200MB/month for consumer plans.

Most of their roaming partners are "preferred", where you get a limited amount of full speed LTE data, and then unlimited data after that at 128kbps.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

You should rewind 15 years when Verizon actively shut down anyone critical of their services and products. During those times, the only things you could see on such forums were the Praises of Verizon.

However, I do agree. My own husband is such a T-Mo fanboy that he thinks his Hello Mobile service, running on T-Mo's network is far inferior and wants to go back to T-Mo and those sky high prices for "the service" (Right now, hes getting unlimited everything for $25 month with the same coverage/service he had on T-Mo previously. Though of course his intro to the service being a Sprint brand that only recently allowed us to activate his old T-Mo phone - which now gets VoLTE - after the merger was completed.)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 08-28-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Had to add some clarification regarding Hello Mobile
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Because there's still quite a lot of areas where AT&T and Verizon have coverage but T-Mobile doesn't. I actually wish they'd add more roaming if they aren't interested in expanding their native coverage to these rural areas. I've visited areas where Verizon/AT&T had coverage, but T-Mobile didn't, and they also didn't allow any roaming, so I was stuck with no coverage at all.

T-Mobile is very stingy with domestic roaming, limiting it to very specific areas with LAC blocking.

All carriers roam domestically. There are even areas where Verizon roams onto AT&T because they lack coverage.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast