Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Calling

Feedback Score

Question WiFi Calling

I am considering trying T-Mobile and wonder how well WiFi calling works with iPhones. Is WiFi calling included in all of the T-Mobile plans? Does it handoff properly from a WiFi connection to a cell tower and vice-versa without dropping the call? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    1. Recent iPhones have WiFi Calling baked into the OS.
    2. All current T-Mobile branded plans, AFAIK.
    3. This is an issue. I'll start a conversation in the driveway and back out and the call will drop. There's no hand-off between WiFi and Cellular. With the LTE CellSpot you can start a conversation on the CellSpot and walk outside and get handed to the tower, but not vice versa.
    I generally leave my phone set to "cellular preferred" so that the phone will only go to WiFi calling when there's no cellular signal.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    TM was the first (at least in U.S.) to have wifi calling. This goes back 10+ years. Originally it would auto-switch between wifi/cell. No longer (I don't think.) I have been setting my phones to "cell preferred" so unless am overseas (don't know when that would happen again) haven't used wifi for calling.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ (me), Galaxy S9+ (wife), Nexus 7 Tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With unlimited Talk & Text and unlimited data on T-Mobile's 4G LTE cellular network, why even bother to use Wi-Fi? Usually more trouble than it's worth, except perhaps on a cruise ship.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Feedback Score
    10 more years ago, I used Wi-Fi calling lot.
    Nowadays, it is internet world, Wi-Fi calling not much useful. I use Google voice for everything...I even cannot remember my cell phone number...
    Unlimited data is the life line

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    To answer your question properly. The guys that answer you have androids.. there is no “cellular prefered” setting on iphone.
    As an iphone user the hand-off is done properly, no dropped calls. All iphones have wifi calling no matter the carrier it came from. All t-mobile plans have wifi calling including prepaid plans.
    But i will give you a warning, i have noticed that iphone measures the upload link on wifi, if its less than 2mbps, the iphone will not connect to wifi calling unless you have a quality uplink (somewhere around 2-3 mbps or more) the downlink dont matter now at days. The iphone will hand-off to cellular if your wifi drops to low speeds (someone starts downloading a movie or a gamer) (Androids do stay connected sometimes even if the wifi falls below 2mbps). You may force to stay in wifi calling by turning off cellular or airplane mode with wifi on only.

F38urry: Wifi calling is great where there is no cellular coverage or inside commercial buildings like sams, walmart, cosco, ikea.. etc; countries where cellular roaming is expensive, hotels where there is poor signal, a basement in a building or home, hospitals with dense block material.. you get my grip.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    ....All iphones have wifi calling no matter the carrier it came from.
    Not sure that is an accurate statement. I guarantee the original iPhone sold by At&t did not have that feature. I have an original iPhone SE that does support it, but I am not sure that an older iPhone does. It would be more accurate to say that current iPhones support WiFi calling.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 6 and later support WiFi calling. iPhone 5s I believe has it on t-mobile from what I have read. Att iPhone 5s does not support WiFi calling.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Not sure that is an accurate statement. I guarantee the original iPhone sold by At&t did not have that feature. I have an original iPhone SE that does support it, but I am not sure that an older iPhone does. It would be more accurate to say that current iPhones support WiFi calling.
    The iPhone 6 was the first iPhone that supported VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, at least on some carriers. And for the MVNOs that support VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on ATT network, apparently it requires the 6s (since they require some iOS 13 version). I'd seen Wi-Fi and VoLTE on the 6 on ST, but it was not officially supported and seemed random based on reports here.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by f38urry View Post
    With unlimited Talk & Text and unlimited data on T-Mobile's 4G LTE cellular network, why even bother to use Wi-Fi? Usually more trouble than it's worth, except perhaps on a cruise ship.
    Like it or not, T-Mobile's coverage is still far from ubiquitous. For instance, my son just built a new house in an area, out in the boonies, with zero T-Mobile service. It sure was nice to be able to use my phone on his WiFi. It's also very handy when overseas.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cellular coverage is local and not the same in all markets. The carriers can only offer service where they are licensed by the FCC. If one carrier doesn't have adequate coverage, there is usually a different carrier that does. Coverage has never been "universal" in all markets for any single carrier ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Like it or not, T-Mobile's coverage is still far from ubiquitous. For instance, my son just built a new house in an area, out in the boonies, with zero T-Mobile service. It sure was nice to be able to use my phone on his WiFi.
    It amazes me that so many seem to have Internet service in outer places that have poor cellular service. Do they have cable or what? Not true here, where cable ends just outside of town and there is poor-to-none alternate Internet service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    TM was the first (at least in U.S.) to have wifi calling. This goes back 10+ years. Originally it would auto-switch between wifi/cell. No longer (I don't think.)
    The original phones used UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) and T-Mobile launched that in 2007.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007...-wifi-service/

That technology was very good at switching back to cellular from wifi.

In 2014, T-Mobile announced every phone they sold would have wifi calling built in:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/...s-un-carrier-7

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It amazes me that so many seem to have Internet service in outer places that have poor cellular service. Do they have cable or what? Not true here, where cable ends just outside of town and there is poor-to-none alternate Internet service.
    He has cable Internet. The thing about Mississippi is that CSpire owns 90% of the 700A block, which means T-Mobile never had band-12 coverage here*. So, the historic coverage was just a mid-band spider web connecting cities. There's now band-71 coverage all around his house but the specific location is in a coverage hole. And yes, it is very rural, and a bit surprising that Comcast serves the area. The other alternative was AT&T (I don't know if that was DSL or Uverse) but the neighbors all told him to go with Comcast.

*Except two counties.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The original phones used UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) and T-Mobile launched that in 2007.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007...-wifi-service/

That technology was very good at switching back to cellular from wifi.

In 2014, T-Mobile announced every phone they sold would have wifi calling built in:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/...s-un-carrier-7
    I still have the Nokia phone with Wi-Fi calling, I just trashed the box few days ago...

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast